Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doctor Butcher

Go down 
+5
Lari
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
Gilbert
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Weird that there is no post on this awesome jon oliva side project.

ordered me the cd today.

thoughts on this band?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Fat Freddy turned me onto this; I had never heard of it in the past. Positively fierce music, in some ways more enjoyable than Stevens-era Savatage. I Spotify it from time to time; need to grab the CD.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm going to be in the minority on this one, considering how revered Savatage and all related projects are to most folks here, but I didn't think it was anything special. I had this one...

Doctor Butcher 51R5qvo9BHL._SY355_

Sorta kinda like Savatage but not as uptight or serious, with lyrics bordering on cheesy or comical at times. A less serious side-project I guess. That's what I thought of it anyway. Perhaps the studio versions were better than this demo collection.

If you're a fan of 'tage, you should have no problem finding something to like with Dr. Butcher. It wasn't something I played very often and sold my copy on ebay.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Doctor Butcher is excellent.  Very good US Power Metal with tons of snarling nastiness from Jon Oliva.  I have the original release, the demo collection and the re-release on Black Lotus records that has some of the demos on it.  I think this album rivals the best of Savatage and is certainly better than anything post Gutter Ballet.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Amazing album they did, and for a moment when I saw this thread title, just before clicking on it, I was hoping there's news of a new Butcher album.

Sadly that wasn't case. But definitely a worth while project to discuss. I own the re-print CD version with the bonus disc. The Altar is a great song, and so is the Picture's Wild. A really powerful record. Later on Caffery has kind of sort of managed to partially recreate the same vibe with his solo albums. Especially Faces and Pins & Needles.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:05 pm

This always seemed like Oliva's Carnivore, if that makes any sense.

Carnivore was Pete Steel going over the top of over the top, both lyrically and musically - pushing the metal cliches of sex and violence past the point of bad taste and back again.

Doctor Butcher seemed like Oliva taking the cliche of metal as music for pissed off young men to extremes, but that's just my read on it. Very reminiscent of the older Savatage material, but very intentionally funny, I think.
Back to top Go down

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:08 pm

At least Doctor Butcher is actually FUN and not nearly as pretentious as any of the "Paul O'Neill Project" albums masquerading as Savatage.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:13 pm

I thought as a fellow prog fan that "pretentious" wouldn't be a dirty word. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Love the Doctor Butcher album... spent way too much $$ on it for an import copy when it was first released n '93, '94, whenever it was.

I have the "Demos" CD too but it's mostly a "Diehards only" purchase. I listen to the studio album way more often.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:26 pm

A producer (Paul O'Neill) trying to turn a straight-ahead metal band that wrote goofy sexual innuendo tracks like "Skull Session" and "The Whip" into some kind of Broadway influenced "Rock Opera" is pretentious. They should have changed the name of the group to "The Paul O'Neil Project".

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 pm

You're not completely wrong, but I do get the sense that Jon would have gone that way eventually on his own. While his solo stuff has regained a harder edge, he's also kept a lot of the prog touches that were laid at O'Neill's doorstep. He may have shied away from full-blown concepts, leaving that for TSO, but the loftier songwriting subjects and the like haven't gone anywhere.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 4:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
At least Doctor Butcher is actually FUN and not nearly as pretentious as any of the "Paul O'Neill Project" albums masquerading as Savatage.  

Happy
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 1:57 pm

Chris Caffery says he is working on a new Doctor Butcher album

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 7:40 am

that's awesome news!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 1:57 pm

Love that Doctor Butcher album. I have the Black Lotus release.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doctor Butcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Butcher   Doctor Butcher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doctor Butcher
Page 1 of 1