Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)

Go down 
+17
mikeinfla
Troublezone
Dark Horseman
Gilbert
TheGreatDuck
James B.
SAHB Healer
corplhicks
Lari
Eyesore
chewie
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
Nomadic Drifter
ZombieHavoc
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Empty
PostSubject: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm

I've been listening to the Rocky 4 soundtrack a lot and want to put together my own bitchin' playlist of this kinda thing. So what jams do you like? Preferably stuff that's on Spotify. Old or brand new, just some AOR tunes that have that "Burning Heart" vibe.

Songs like John Farnham's "Break the Ice" and "Thunder in your Heart" from RAD! or Stan Bush's songs from Transformers and Kickboxer. And of course the stuff from Rocky 4.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Do they have to have been included on OST releases or appeared in movies?

If so then I was always partial to The Moment of Truth - SURVIVOR, from Karate Kid. Also St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
Do they have to have been included on OST releases or appeared in movies?

If so then I was always partial to The Moment of Truth - SURVIVOR, from Karate Kid.  Also St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr.

They don't specifically have to be from movies or OSTs. They can be from proper albums. Any that rule.

I will add those to my list. Survivor is a good bet no matter what. I haven't thought about any music from St. Elmo's Fire in forever. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:12 pm

In that case then, I'd suggest the entire first album by ASIA. Most of Nature of the Beast by APRIL WINE. And a lot of the late 80's stuff by Bad Company (with the other singer Mike or Brian Howe I think).
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Check these out for some prime 80s action movie closing credits/montage music:

Savage Streets - OST - This whole soundtrack is packed full of the neon, soft-serve, permed hair excellence which you seek.

For a massive mix tape of this stuff, check out Blood Bros.  They are two DJs that have done three huge mixes of 80s action movie soundtrack songs.  They are on Soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-first-blood

Their Mad Decent page is here and it give a listing of all the songs on their first mix:
http://maddecent.com/blood-bros-first-blood/

Here's a youtube version:

I think Fortune has the vibe you're looking for:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Everything in that post is spot on. That Blood Bros. thing looks awesome...so looks like they already basically made the playlist I wanted for myself. Ha.

And looking on imdb at the Savage Streets tracklist...yes, that is exactly what I need. It is almost entirely John Farnham.

Thanks, as usual, for the knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Everything in that post is spot on. That Blood Bros. thing looks awesome...so looks like they already basically made the playlist I wanted for myself. Ha.

And looking on imdb at the Savage Streets tracklist...yes, that is exactly what I need. It is almost entirely John Farnham.

Thanks, as usual, for the knowledge.

Glad I could help. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Not a favorite of mine per say, but this was the first one that popped into my mind. Fits the criteria I believe...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 am

Pretty much any John Parr song from the 1980s

Last edited by chewie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 1:36 am

One of the favorite songs of all time.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Here's another one that I like:

Dominoe - Keep In Touch from 1988

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 8:59 pm

One more. Check out the Megaforce soundtrack. In particular you'll want "Megaforce" by 707. Many people mistake this for a Journey song.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
One more.  Check out the Megaforce soundtrack.  In particular you'll want "Megaforce" by 707.  Many people mistake this for a Journey song.

That's some good stuff there! This song from their first album sounds like something that Toto would do.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 pm

[quote="chewie"]
Witchfinder wrote:
One more.  Check out the Megaforce soundtrack.  In particular you'll want "Megaforce" by 707.  Many people mistake this for a Journey song.

That's some good stuff there! This song from their first album sounds like something that Toto would do.

That track is from their first album and it was something of a hit for them. They had two albums and the Megaforce soundtrack song. It's pretty good AOR.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 pm

I always loved Foreigner's Jukebox Hero.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 pm

chewie wrote:
Pretty much any John Parr son from the 1980s

This. Man in Motion was my first "rock" song as a kid, I think. Had it cranked max on the walkman everywhere I went. Still so cool.

That whole soundtrack was wonderful with Jon Anderson, Billy Squire, Fee Waybill, and especially an early, catchy ballad from the Elefante bros. They were known simply known as Elefante. Doesn't look like they released an album tho.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am

Tons of killer stuff in here everyone, thanks!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 3:27 pm

I don't know how I forgot these guys. Dig their first two albums:

or this:

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 pm

The band Touch (w/Mark Mangold) had a bunch of great songs in this vein.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Dude played with Frehley's Comet as well

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 11:39 am

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 12:49 pm

James B. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Dude played with Frehley's Comet as well

And took that song with him:
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 1:27 pm

I recently picked up a cd by a band called SEVEN. The s/t album is excellent AOR music. Sorry I cannot post any videos :-(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)   Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favorite AOR anthems (upbeat, anthemic, shoulda-been-on-Rocky 4 soundtrack)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next