Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pipe smoking

Go down 
+4
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
8 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 am

Just got back into one of my favorite pastimes, smoking a tobacco pipe. Anyone else around here into this?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 am

Is this you? Very Happy
Pipe smoking Bobdobbs

But seriously... my grandfather smoked a pipe, I have no idea what kind of tobacco he used but I always liked the smell of it. Never tried a pipe myself (not for tobacco, anyway -- if you catch my drift *cough cough*)....

I gave up a long time smokeless tobacco habit (hopefully for good) about a year ago and I have no plans to take it up again in any other forms.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 am

My favorite pastime is beating up hipsters who smoke pipes. Razz

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 10:34 am

I have vague recollections of my father smoking a pipe back in the 70's or early 80's because he liked the smell of the tobacco. He was never a cigarette or cigar smoker.

My only time smoking from a pipe was, uh, medicinal. Yea. Let's go with that.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Never smoked a pipe tobacco, but I average about 4-5 cigars a week.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Cigars are wonderful too.

I'm with Monty. Hipsters have given pipe smoking a baaaaad name. The ones that I know--and I know way too many here in Fresno--only know a pipe as a fashion statement. One kid I know doesn't even know the difference between Cavendish and Latikia. But he smokes an artisan, so oooooo.

I started in '05 to quit smoking--yeah, that didn't work at all--and I fell in love with the flavor and variety. Plus it's just a great way to relax, throw on some jazz, smoke up the room.

FF, that picture is hella close. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 2:08 am

Always loved the smell of pipe tobacco. My Dad smoked one for several years after he quit cigarettes.Ive smoked a pipe before but not a lot.I was always a cigarette man.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 am

Never smoked a pipe in my life ( a bong count?) but I remember the old codgers smoking them and I always liked the smell of the tobacco.
Back to top Go down

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 am

My stepfather (who I hated) smoked a pipe, those fancy ones with the carved heads of civil war generals on them. He also wore overalls and participated in civil war reenactments. f*cking asshole.

That pretty much guaranteed that I would NEVER smoke a tobacco pipe in my lifetime.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
My stepfather (who I hated) smoked a pipe, those fancy ones with the carved heads of civil war generals on them.  He also wore overalls and participated in civil war reenactments.  f*cking asshole.

That pretty much guaranteed that I would NEVER smoke a tobacco pipe in my lifetime.  

Embrace your heritage you educated hillbilly Laughing very hard

Cannot run away from it forever very happy

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:21 pm

James B. wrote:
S.D. wrote:
My stepfather (who I hated) smoked a pipe, those fancy ones with the carved heads of civil war generals on them.  He also wore overalls and participated in civil war reenactments.  f*cking asshole.

Embrace your heritage you educated hillbilly  Laughing very hard  

Cannot run away from it forever very happy

Stepfather. Thus not my heritage. Plus he was from a rich Boston suburb, so where the civil war fixation came from is anybody's guess.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 pm

S.D. wrote:

I'm curious--did he ever try and bond with you by making you go to those reenactments?

I've come to have a minor fascination with the Civil War myself, but I've been to those things, and it's nothing but a shitty time with shitty old men.
Back to top Go down

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 pm

We lived inside a National Park from 1974 to 1976. Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. The park is primarily accurate to the period. We lived in an upstairs apartment over an old time drug store museum (one of those you can walk inside but everything is behind ropes). My Stepfather was an historian and was also the park blacksmith. I was 4 when we moved there, it was cool for me because there was an Amtrack station beside the park and I was a train freak. I also enjoyed seeing all the tourists. I was able to go into sections of the park not open to the public as well.

Pipe smoking HarpersFerry
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 am

Yeah that looks like heaven. Your SF may have been awful but at least you were in utopia haha.

(BTW no offense to anyone here who does the whole reenactment thing; I'm just speaking of my overall experience)
Back to top Go down

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 am

Harpers Ferry is where West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland meet.  In that photo above Virginia is on the left, WV is in the center, Maryland is where the photographer is standing. I actually appreciate the park more as an adult than I did as a child, it's a neat place, I got bored with it quickly when I was a kid.

In 1979 we moved to another Civil War town; Fort Scott, Kansas.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 10:18 am

When I was a kid, we had relatives that lived in Chambersberg PA, which is a stone's throw to Gettsyburg. While I haven't been there in years, I remember visiting the Civil War museums and battlefields quite often.

Pipe smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking   Pipe smoking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pipe smoking
Page 1 of 1