Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that released their best album late in their career

Go down 
+28
Wayne
TrogDawn
Gilbert
Lurideath
metalhead777
Thrasher73
80s Metal Lady
corplhicks
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Runicen
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Red Kitty
Temple of Blood
Glower
Boris2008
brokentulsa
DakotaRogers
JBall_Z
Sword Of The Heretic
Citanul
Witchfinder
choosemetal
mc666
Vexer6
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

Bands that released their best album late in their career Empty
PostSubject: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 12:13 pm

A lot of bands seem to record their best material early on, and then kind of fizzle out. Or in the best case, they continue with consistent releases, but still the early albums are more special because of their classic status.

Any late bloomers you can think of? Bands that took a decade or so of releasing albums before recording their magnus opus? Bands that released their best album late in their career 387733
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm

The only one I can think of is Pantera, but even then that is fairly debatable.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:58 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
I actually like their earlier material better.

One band that I feel definitely got better later in their career is "Death" with Sound of Perseverance being their magnum opus.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:08 pm

I'd say Satan's Host. The last two albums are their strongest.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
I actually like their earlier material better.

One band that I feel definitely got better later in their career is "Death" with Sound of Perseverance being their magnum opus.

I'm a casual fan myself, and usually go for Power Metal when in the mood for some Pantera, which happens very, very rare anyway. In fact, I've never even heard Cowboys From Hell in its entirety.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Hirax for sure!!
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:39 pm

For me it's Budgie with Power Supply. It was a total sellout to the NWOBHM movement, but I think it's the best thing they've ever done.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:51 pm

I think Threshold have got better with time, although I'd be hard-pressed to pin down one album as their magnum opus.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Aerosmith
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
For me it's Budgie with Power Supply.  It was a total sellout to the NWOBHM movement, but I think it's the best thing they've ever done.  

I really only like the albums with the original lineup. My favorites are the self-titled debut, In For The Kill and especially Bandolier.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
Aerosmith

Assuming this was not written in jest, what would you consider their best work, if not Toys in the Attic or Rocks?
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Stryper, in my opinion, No More Hell To Pay is their best album.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Behemoth, with "The Satanist"

And "Painkiller," maybe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:55 pm

It seems to happen more often in other genres like jazz. Many of the greats like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington and others had their best work occur more than a decade after they came on the scene. In Duke's case some of his best work happened 40 years into his career.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:42 pm

One artist that comes to mind for me is Stevie ray Vaughn..while every album he did is a great album I really thought 'In step' and 'Family Style (with Jimmie Vaughn)' were his best....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 2:36 am

I don't know if it was their best but Celtic Frost certainly went out with a terrifying bang with Monotheist.

I also find Stryper a bit less annoying now than I used to back in the day, but I'm still a long way from 'liking' any of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 am

That never happens Laughing
No band ever ends on a good note - esp KISS - over the last 15 years -
Yet they all say the same thing, " This is the best thing we ever did " - ugh
but when a band follwed up with a better release - was always great -party time -
Priest following uo " Screaming " with " Defenders " - that was a wild one -
Scorpions " Crazy World ", Krokus " Headhunter", Dokken "Back for attack" - great follow-ups.
Even " Electric Circus ", " Whitesnake " - but to end on a good note - that never happens.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't know if it was their best but Celtic Frost certainly went out with a terrifying bang with Monotheist.

That was certainly a case of a band finishing off as strong as they started.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:39 am

I'm tempted to say JUDAS PRIEST.

I think a lot of death metal bands have: KRISIUN, NILE, ORIGIN.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

I'm tempted to say: Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

All of their releases are top notch, in my opinion, but Pandemonium is their best yet...
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 am

How about Saxon and Overkill? Both bands have released very strong material late in their careers.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Not quite a decade, but Pink Floyd released Wish You Were Here in 1975, 8 years after their career started.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:36 pm

I agree with Death, as mentioned above, though I point to Symbolic as their best, with Sounds a close second. I'm not really into the records before Symbolic. Though they are better than your average 80s death metal record, to me.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't think OVERKILL ever released anything as good when they let Gustafson go, although "Horrorscope" is debatable. After that, no way.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 2:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
Not quite a decade, but Pink Floyd released Wish You Were Here in 1975, 8 years after their career started.  

Using that logic, you could make the argument for AC/DC. While they were well short of a decade, they were 5 or 6 albums deep before they released Highway to Hell, which alot of fans would consider their best Bon Scott album.

Of course, they topped that one with Back in Black, which alot of fans consider their best post-Bon album. Certainly their most popular.

I don't know that I personally agree with either one of those statements, but the logistics are there. None of their earlier (or later) albums posted the sales numbers or favorable reviews those 2 albums had, did they?

PostSubject: Re: Bands that released their best album late in their career   Bands that released their best album late in their career Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that released their best album late in their career
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next