Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone Remember When?

Go down 
+16
Mac & Cheese
James B.
manny
mc666
the sentinel
Stender
Thrasher73
glassprison
bgsully
Hadley
mikeinfla
mlotek
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 am

Hey Stender good to see ya brother!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 am

mc666 wrote:
I was the 15th person to transfer here from the EZ board back in Jan '07. I'm number 12 on the member list, but that's just because Sax, Spec, & Shawn (I think) had deleted their original accounts & started over.

A lot of names on that list that rarely come around anymore.

I guess I am a higher number too now.... I noticed a bunch of use registered on this board 1/22/2007....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know what the "EZ Board" is so I must've joined after that era.

I thought you were on the old board before it moved over to the new provider? It must have been 2006 or 2007???

My profile thingy sez I joined here in Feb. of '07. So I guess I just missed the shift from EZ Board (whatever that was).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know what the "EZ Board" is so I must've joined after that era.

I thought you were on the old board before it moved over to the new provider? It must have been 2006 or 2007???

My profile thingy sez I joined here in Feb. of '07. So I guess I just missed the shift from EZ Board (whatever that was).

Same here. Feb. 1, 2007

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 am

mikeinfla wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Having Intense bought out by Frontline really killed a lot of potential bands like Vengeance and Deliverance from hitting a much bigger marked.

I didn't know this! My first exposure to VR was at church. Another teen at the time asked if I knew of any good Christian Metal. Being the wise 17 year old that I was I knew ALL the best bands and steered him in the right direction by letting him hear Shout, Stryper, Whitecross, Rez and the like... And he wasn't impressed at all. Said they all sounded like Nelson! The next week he came back with 2 tapes of bands I had never heard of -- VR and Tourniquet. Once Dead & Stop The Bleeding. Neither of those bands was really my thing, I liked heavy stuff but I also liked the "screamer" type vocalists like Mark Slaughter. I thought it was cool that there was a heavy band like VR. And at that time I had no idea they had anything else, I thought that was their only album. I also remember having some kind of Intense Sampler CD.... No one else seems to know what it is... But it had interviews on it with Ken Tamplin and Roger M... It also had songs from each band. I thought it might have been one of those Hot Metal Summer compilations but I don't know. I have asked people about it before and no one knows what I am talking about. It came in a slim jewel case way before slim cases were common.

Anyway, the point of the message was I had no idea Intense ended up stifling some of the bands. I figured, if anything, it would probably help but I guess not.

I had that sampler with Roger and Ken Tamplin, etc. speaking before their songs on cassette. I literally wore that tape out.

Yes, Intense Records was never meant to be a "Christian" record label. It was originally a small indie metal label owned by a Chrisitan and the label had distribution through Medusa Records I believe. Might have also been through Capitol Records. I'd have to look to be sure. In any case, Human Sacrifice had widespread distribution into the stores and Vengeance gained popularity quickly. Then Intense Records was sold to Frontline Records in 1989 with becoming a sub-label of Frontline and distribution through Diamante. Unfortunately those companies mostly distributed to Christian bookstores, as opposed to the big music chain stores, so the focus went from mainstream distribution to a much smaller audience, Christians who shopped at Christian bookstores. Frankly, for me, I did both so it was no big deal. It wasn't until I was signing for Once Dead that the band shared with me how they were basically confined to that smaller audience due to the sale of Intense Records.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 6:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Having Intense bought out by Frontline really killed a lot of potential bands like Vengeance and Deliverance from hitting a much bigger marked.

I didn't know this! My first exposure to VR was at church. Another teen at the time asked if I knew of any good Christian Metal. Being the wise 17 year old that I was I knew ALL the best bands and steered him in the right direction by letting him hear Shout, Stryper, Whitecross, Rez and the like... And he wasn't impressed at all. Said they all sounded like Nelson! The next week he came back with 2 tapes of bands I had never heard of -- VR and Tourniquet. Once Dead & Stop The Bleeding. Neither of those bands was really my thing, I liked heavy stuff but I also liked the "screamer" type vocalists like Mark Slaughter. I thought it was cool that there was a heavy band like VR. And at that time I had no idea they had anything else, I thought that was their only album. I also remember having some kind of Intense Sampler CD.... No one else seems to know what it is... But it had interviews on it with Ken Tamplin and Roger M... It also had songs from each band. I thought it might have been one of those Hot Metal Summer compilations but I don't know. I have asked people about it before and no one knows what I am talking about. It came in a slim jewel case way before slim cases were common.

Anyway, the point of the message was I had no idea Intense ended up stifling some of the bands. I figured, if anything, it would probably help but I guess not.

I had that sampler with Roger and Ken Tamplin, etc. speaking before their songs on cassette. I literally wore that tape out.

Yes, Intense Records was never meant to be a "Christian" record label. It was originally a small indie metal label owned by a Chrisitan and the label had distribution through Medusa Records I believe. Might have also been through Capitol Records. I'd have to look to be sure. In any case, Human Sacrifice had widespread distribution into the stores and Vengeance gained popularity quickly. Then Intense Records was sold to Frontline Records in 1989 with becoming a sub-label of Frontline and distribution through Diamante. Unfortunately those companies mostly distributed to Christian bookstores, as opposed to the big music chain stores, so the focus went from mainstream distribution to a much smaller audience, Christians who shopped at Christian bookstores. Frankly, for me, I did both so it was no big deal. It wasn't until I was signing for Once Dead that the band shared with me how they were basically confined to that smaller audience due to the sale of Intense Records.

Thanks for the history on the label...Now what WAS the name of that tape?!? I know I had it on CD would like to find it again!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Hey Stender good to see ya brother!

Good to see you, dude!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:15 pm

You make it home Stendy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Remember When?   Anyone Remember When? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Remember When?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2