Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.

Go down 
+7
Lari
Citanul
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
11 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Empty
PostSubject: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm

What do you do when you have no room left for music? I have a 160gb Ipod. I had every album I own on it then it became full so I deleted live albums. To also save some more room I went through albums and got rid of some of the nonsense bonus tracks like demos or other live songs. I've acquired more music since the last time I did this and since I had to buy a new Ipod recently I'm trying to really make my Ipod very organized and get as much music it as possible. This way my whole collection is basically portable.

As I'm going through everything I'm noticing somewhere down the line albums must have gotten deleted from my external hard drive so now I have to re-rip some cds. As I'm doing this I'm getting closer and closer to the limit and I'm not sure what to do. I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get rid of. Its such a stupid thing but I hate to have incomplete albums but I guess the next thing would be to eliminate individual songs that I don't like at all. Hopefully I will have a little bit of space left before it comes to that haha.

What would you do in this case?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Haven't quite reached that point yet.... I suppose I will get another 160GB Ipod and do the A-M on one and N-Z thing on the other......
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Haven't quite reached that point yet.... I suppose I will get another 160GB Ipod and do the A-M on one and N-Z thing on the other......

really? What if your out and just grab one ipod and you are dying to listening to stuff of the N-Z ipod but thats not the one you brought? hahaha

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:23 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

really? What if your out and just grab one ipod and you are dying to listening to stuff of the N-Z ipod but thats not the one you brought? hahaha

Generally, I only listen to music in the car when I am out these days - too busy at work to even play music in the background at my current job. So, just have to remember to put both in the car - lol!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Have you tried saving music in cloud storage? I do that currently and then just access it wherever I am. If I won't have internet access, I just download some albums onto my phone and listen to that until I have access.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Have you tried saving music in cloud storage?  I do that currently and then just access it wherever I am.  If I won't have internet access, I just download some albums onto my phone and listen to that until I have access.

Yea I tried that. its a pain in the ass, at least for me cause you have to have internet access. At least with the Ipod everythings already on it. I mainly listen to music at work and when I'm driving around. At work I'm driving too and theres not always wifi.

I'm not looking for an alternative cause the Ipods about it for what I want, but just curious what others would do if the storage on their devices were full.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Have you tried saving music in cloud storage?  I do that currently and then just access it wherever I am.  If I won't have internet access, I just download some albums onto my phone and listen to that until I have access.

Yea I tried that. its a pain in the ass, at least for me cause you have to have internet access. At least with the Ipod everythings already on it. I mainly listen to music at work and when I'm driving around. At work I'm driving too and theres not always wifi.

I'm not looking for an alternative cause the Ipods about it for what I want, but just curious what others would do if the storage on their devices were full.

Okay. If my ipods got full, I would delete albums that I rarely listened to and maybe save a few tracks from other albums. I found that purging music periodically was the only way to keep any space available on my ipods. I do have a couple of hard drives that I store everything on as well.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:32 pm

good idea. I guess I'll have to get rid of the completest mentality when it comes to portable music haha

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Quote :

I have a small mp3 player. Not sure off hand about actual storage size. All I know it that when it's full, it holds roughly 500 songs. Needless to say, I purge it quite often, then reload it. Sometimes it's full albums, sometimes I cherry-pick certain songs, sometimes it strictly by genre (blues, rock, jazz or metal), sometimes it's just by one or 2 artists.

I don't mind the purging and re-loading. Keeps things fresh I guess. All the original files still live on my desktop computer and the back-up to those are the actual cds. The only time I find it to be an issue is when I take it on vacation and I'm away from home for any length of time. Got to make sure I'm happy with my selections 'cause I'm gonna be stuck with 'em.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 pm

I haven't gotten to that point yet and I'm not really sure what I'll do once the situation presents itself. I might just split it up like the joker said. I'm not too keen on the cloud (I'm not even sure what that is quite frankly). Maybe by the time I get to the full point ,a larger storage ipod will be on the market.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:49 pm

007 wrote:
Maybe by the time I get to the full point ,a larger storage  ipod will be on the market.

I don't know what the demand for iPods with a larger capacity is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not enough for them to bother making one.

I'm not yet at the point where my iPod is full, but I know the day will come. I think when it does I'll go the deleting album route as there's definitely stuff on it that I'm not that keen on but I have on there. That's because I rip CDs as soon as I can after buying them, so I won't have listened to them before I put them on my iPod and I've just never needed to take them off as space isn't a problem yet.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:41 pm

I haven't thought of trying to put ALL my music on a portable device. With CD's I keep an everchanging pile of them by the stereos, and in the case of an mp3 player, just like that, there's maybe 10 albums on it at a given time.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:37 am

I picked up a second iPod when I started ripping my music in lossless, which takes up much more space. I haven't yet filled the new one just because I'm taking my time going through the collection and re-ripping everything, but my intention was to cycle what I had on my ipod just to keep the collection "fresh" and not let some sleeper albums sink to the bottom of the pile.

It's a bit more work in the long run, but I think it'll also be nice to actually enjoy ALL of my music regardless of the mood I was in when I picked it up.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 7:33 pm

My car stereo doesn't have an AUX socket in it anyway, so a portable player is pretty useless most of the time.  Car stereo only plays CDs. At home I use the stereo system or headphones.

Maybe once or twice a month I take the public transport (errants at city centrum, or a party), and then it's enough to have available just whatever is the latest album I'm in to at the time. A couple of options is nice, of course, but not thousands of albums.

It's nice to have music while jogging, but lately I've been lazy and my feet have been achy (and I'm good at coming up with excuses not to go).
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 pm

I sort of had the this same problem. I came to a conclusion that I didn't really need to keep full albums on my portable music player (not Ipod). I decided I would instead create individual music folders for each band/artist on the music player which would serve as my personal greatest hits. (Full albums are stored on an external drive.) It is kind of a fun project saving me from having to skip past annoying/overplayed tracks.

It is still a work in progress - my current annoyance is that certain songs are meant to go together (Hellion/Electric Eye or Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire) - so I've been playing around with cutting and joining programs that I've downloaded. The other issue I have is with hidden tracks at the end of a disc that strart after 8 minutes of silence - seriously - WTF!!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

I think it's easier to view my iPod like a really really BIG CD carrier that doesn't weigh anything. I just throw albums of my choosing on to suit my tastes that week or month and swap things out. That way, if I'm listening to a great album cut, I'm not stuck with that and the three others from that album I bothered to toss on.

All that and, I'm really lazy and it's easier to click and drag full albums than to pick and choose songs inside those albums.

It's really a win-win.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 pm

Man, I totally hear you about the click and drag simplicity. Sometimes I do that too. Some albums for me are just one long track and it would almost be a crime to leave something out. Also a new release - needs to taken as a whole in order to get full appreciation.

But on the other hand, it's totally worth it to get to hear the 37 songs by Guns and Roses that I like and none of the ones that..... well - you get the idea, I hope
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:33 am

Yeah, definitely.

I actually kind of miss the days of having a simple enough collection that, if I was leaving something out of my "mobile" playback, it wasn't really a huge problem.

Then again, back in high school, I had a Rio MP3 player with a generous 96 megs of storage space. I got creative with my file encoding just to make stuff fit! At the same time, I probably owned between 50 and 60 cds total and had a dusting of stuff I'd downloaded via AudioGalaxy (miss that site), so it wasn't like I had a huge library anyway.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 am

Runicen wrote:
I think it's easier to view my iPod like a really really BIG CD carrier that doesn't weigh anything.  

That's the way I look at it. I love having over 1000 cds available to me at any time on something that fits in my pokcet. It's very convenient.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Lately, after I rip a vinyl LP to WAV->then convert to Flac or mp3, I prefer to drag just the 2 files, one for each side on the Mp3 player.(for home, will separate the tracks).
It is the closest to having a Sony Walkman again (without using a lot of batteries) and HAVE TO listen to a complete side of a record (or fast forward it).

With CD rips, too easy to skip songs I don't like within the first 10 seconds, and not giving it a chance.
Have gotten so accustomed to being with the modern generation with a short attention span.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Citanul wrote:
007 wrote:
Maybe by the time I get to the full point ,a larger storage  ipod will be on the market.

I don't know what the demand for iPods with a larger capacity is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not enough for them to bother making one.

I'm not yet at the point where my iPod is full, but I know the day will come.  I think when it does I'll go the deleting album route as there's definitely stuff on it that I'm not that keen on but I have on there.  That's because I rip CDs as soon as I can after buying them, so I won't have listened to them before I put them on my iPod and I've just never needed to take them off as space isn't a problem yet.

I don't think there is any demand for the 160gb classic Ipod. At one point I swear I read somewhere that apple might get rid of it. My wife has a new Ipod. It looks just like our Iphones. I like the look it has when your playing songs because it will have the bigger artwork but thats about it. They don't hold much music at all. I don't know why people are buying them. Its not like they are cheaper than the classic. Wouldn't you rather have something where you would have limitless space as opposed to something you would have to delete songs once it starts getting full?

I see a few of you guys have smaller mp3 players, don't worry I'm not picking on you haha. For me tho I never know what mood I'm going to be in when it comes to what I'll want to listen to that day. I like being able to have all my albums right in my pocket. I still have a bunch of stuff I haven't fully listened to or some at all. I only put what I actually own on cd onto my Ipod except for 2 albums which I'll never find a cd copy of. Otherwise anything else I download goes on my Iphone, but theres not much on there.

As far as making a larger MP3 player, theres a bunch of people selling Ipods that have larger hard drives, but I always have been afraid to buy those because they aren't officially sold by apple. God forbid something went wrong with that then I'd really be screwed. Thankfully after getting my Ipod finished I have around 10 GBs left. That should last me a little while longer. As I listen to stuff though I rate them so if I ever get to the point where I have to start deleting I'll at least have an idea of what I could do without.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

mlotek wrote:
Lately, after I rip a vinyl LP to WAV->then convert to Flac or mp3, I prefer to drag just the 2 files, one for each side on the Mp3 player.(for home, will separate the tracks).
It is the closest to having a Sony Walkman again (without using a lot of batteries) and HAVE TO listen to a complete side of a record (or fast forward it).

With CD rips, too easy to skip songs I don't like within the first 10 seconds, and not giving it a chance.
Have gotten so accustomed to being with the modern generation with a short attention span.

Damn, now that sounds like a lot of work haha. Thats a good idea tho to not separate the tracks but after a while I'd want to skip songs.

Like you said, I feel the same way about being accustomed to having a short attention span lately or actually since I've had an ipod. I used to take at least 5 or 6 cds with me wherever I went and I don't think I would skip songs. Now depending where I'm going or if my wife is in the car or whoever, I tend to skip songs like crazy because someone always has something to say about what I listen to. If the song has really cheesy lyrics my wife will just bust out laughing and that annoys the shit out of me. I laugh too but its like I can't just listen to something to listen to it no matter what the lyrics are. I also have a lot more music than I used to before I got an Ipod so being able to just pick anything has been a good and bad thing at times.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 am

Witchfinder wrote:

This is what I do as well.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:12 am

mlotek wrote:

That's a cool idea, but most of my vinyl rips are of things released on vinyl that were never released on CD or whose CD releases are OOP and silly expensive.

The last rip was Volume 1 of "Songs The Cramps Taught Us," which is a series compiling the original versions of everything The Cramps ever covered on record. It's a pretty sweet platter and there are three others, which I really need to track down at some point. But yeah, not much sense leaving that as two solid sides if I wanted to get to a particular track.

And when did Apple say they were going to discontinue the 160gb ipod? That would be a sin and a shame and guaranteed that'd be the opening in the market for someone to come out with an iPod killer...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 9:45 pm

[quote="Runicen"]
mlotek wrote:

And when did Apple say they were going to discontinue the 160gb ipod?  That would be a sin and a shame and guaranteed that'd be the opening in the market for someone to come out with an iPod killer...

probably just a rumor but who knows.

PostSubject: Re: For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.   For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For those of us who have MP3 devices Ipod etc.
Page 1 of 1