Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 69 Eyes

Go down 
+4
springozzy
tohostudios
Runicen
brokentulsa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 am

Who here is a fan of this band...I love them!!

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 am

Heard bits and pieces. They're a little hit or miss for me. Some of their stuff is great and other stuff just makes me go, "I really could just throw on my Sisters of Mercy CD and get the FULL effect."

It's not bad, but some of it is so derivative that it's actually kind of URGH. Not that I mind what it's derivative of, but bands like H.I.M. and even Type O Negative manage to wear their influences on their sleeves while still making something new.

Maybe I've just been hearing the wrong stuff, but The 69 Eyes just sound like a band that went, "Well, Band X isn't around anymore, so let's just do more of what they did."
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Runicen wrote:
Heard bits and pieces.  They're a little hit or miss for me.  Some of their stuff is great and other stuff just makes me go, "I really could just throw on my Sisters of Mercy CD and get the FULL effect."

It's not bad, but some of it is so derivative that it's actually kind of URGH.  Not that I mind what it's derivative of, but bands like H.I.M. and even Type O Negative manage to wear their influences on their sleeves while still making something new.  

Maybe I've just been hearing the wrong stuff, but The 69 Eyes just sound like a band that went, "Well, Band X isn't around anymore, so let's just do more of what they did."

I basically agree with this assessment although if you pick up any of the early 69 Eyes albums you'll be surprised to hear they started out as more of a glam/sleaze band without the "gothic rock" vibe.  I also agree that for this style my "go-to" bands are The Sisters and HIM.  And this band:  Rosetta Stone:

Metal master
Metal master
springozzy

Number of posts : 866

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 pm

I have all of their cd's really great band  The 69 Eyes 604261
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Enjoy them quite a bit. I really like Angels, Devils, and Back In Blood.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I got all the albums

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 4:01 pm

I have a lot of their stuff. The wife likes 'em, I like them too. I'm not even sure what albums we have on CD. I have to go through the shelves and report back. At least Blessed Be is an amazing record, that's what I know.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 pm

My favorite is Back In Blood.  But I love this homage to a Frank Henenlotter "classic" Z movie that was on "Angels" (this is my favorite 69 Eyes tune):

Actually, I don't know if the guys in the band are even aware of "Frankenhooker" the movie but it seems like too much of a coincidence to think they aren't.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 pm

So, I have:

Wasting the Dawn
Blessed Be
Paris Kills
Devils
Angels
Back in Blood (+DVD

A pretty good band with glam rock and goth elements. Out of those, Wasting the Dawn is a little too 'gothic' for me, and maybe a little uneven. Blessed Be is a superb sounding disc, with some of their catchiest tunes. Paris Kills is a step down, but both Devils and Angels are pretty good. Some great rockin' tunes on both.

But then Back in Blood is another step up, with a dirtier glam approach and it's a pretty good raw band album. Not as clinical and polished as the previous two. So I'd probably name Back in Blood as my second favourite 69 Eyes album (after Blessed Be).

And I think they sound a lot better than the Sisters of Mercy, who are a little lifeless and distant. At least to my ears. And the 69 Eyes are heavier, too. And less serious, also. A little more warm sounding records, and a lot more fun.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm

What I like about 69 Eyes and similar bands is I can sing along real well. My voice is well made for a gothic croon. I don't have a high range nor can I put too much grit into my voice.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 12:24 pm

They write great songs, but not great albums. I've never heard their early stuff but I own 'Devils', 'Angels' and 'Back In Blood'. Between the three, you could compile one great album. Didn't bother with 'X' because I was very disappointed with 'Back In Blood' outside of "Dead Girls Are Easy".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The 69 Eyes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 69 Eyes   The 69 Eyes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 69 Eyes
Page 1 of 1