Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?

Go down 
+24
bass63
James B.
nevermore
DeathCult
mlotek
ze_mau
Runicen
exact33
SAHB Healer
MoonChild
Thrasher73
ultmetal
corplhicks
thejokeriv
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
Witchfinder
glassprison
Boris2008
mc666
tohostudios
chewie
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Scorpions (Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap75%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 75% [ 30 ]
Whitesnake (Slide It In(U.S. version), 1987, Slip Of The Tongue)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Y&T (Earthshaker, Black Tiger, Mean Streak)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Aerosmith (Permanent Vacation, Pump, Get A Grip)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am

Scorpions for me. Those are some fantastic albums.

Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:49 pm

I had to go with Aerosmith, which is cheating somewhat as I know NO Y&T and am only sort of loosely on the level with the Scorpions.

Of the lot though, it was a three album run for Aero that cemented their radio status, kept enough of their "classic" sound, and had a litany of great tunes to boot. Very even cross-section of stuff.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:49 pm

I really like this Scorpions trio. I also like OLD Aerosmith a lot ( and guess who influenced me to listen to the band ? ) , But IMO , Aerosmith started their downfall with get a grip. I still have to check many of their albums , but their 70´s stuff is really amazing.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

The thing is , everybody I know thinks Aerosmith is some sort of comercial pop rock band. they don´t know about their glorious past.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:46 pm

picked Scorpions (Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout) because not only liked them the most, but thought they changed the hard rock/heavy metal scene more than the others.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am

It was tough, but I went with the Scorps just edging out Y&T.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:54 am

mc666 wrote:
chewie wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Out of those listed I chose the Scorps. However, I would include Priest with Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, & Stained Class as my #1 pick.
I knew I was forgetting someone!

It has to be a trio of consecutive albums. That JP trio wouldn't work in this case. For them it would have to be something like British Steel, Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance. I believe British Steel is when they started their new "Heavy Metal for the 1980s" sound.

The question is kind of confusing. Those were a trio of albums, that sounded similar in style & production but very different from the album they started with. That also sounded different than most bands at that time.

Well, no matter. The three you picked are just as valid in their own way.

I feel like it would work for JP if you went Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Killing Machine. or Stained Class, Hellbent For Leather, British Steel

From those given however I went with Scorpions, with Y&T being a very close #2. Slip Of The Tongue has the honor of being one of the worst albums I've ever heard, and Aerosmith I just never really liked much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 am

Surprise Van Halen weren't on this list.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 am

Easily the Scorpions.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

Van Halen the "poppiest band in rock music" band (In my very humble opinion ) ?? Van Halen sounds to me close to something like a-ha , abba or such.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:43 pm

ze_mau wrote:
Van Halen the "poppiest band in rock music" band (In my very humble opinion ) ?? Van Halen sounds to me close to something like a-ha , abba or such.

Yeah I remember seeing Abba cover "eruption" in the late 70's and VH wrote "and the cradle will rock" and "everybody wants some" after seeing A-ha on their very first tour of Norway.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

James B. wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Yeah I remember seeing Abba cover "eruption" in the late 70's and VH wrote "and the cradle will rock" and "everybody wants some" after seeing A-ha on their very first tour of Norway.

Don't forget how Dacing Queen was the template for all of Fair Warning.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Tough choice but went the Scorpions. I use to play a lot of those songs in my younger days in the band I was in high school. Good memories.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Well I´m talking about this:

But I respect Sammy Haggar as a really great and charismatic singer. Eddie Van Halen is a great guitar player.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Based on the choices I also voted for Scorpions.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 pm

ze_mau wrote:
Well I´m talking about this:

But I respect Sammy Haggar as a really great and charismatic singer. Eddie Van Halen is a great guitar player.

Van Hagar most assuredly blew. That doesn't discount the albums with Roth though.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Haggar can sing. wouldn´t say the same about Roth. don´t like his voice. I dunno, maybe I should listen to their music more carefully but almost everything I know by them I dislike. Oh and they where Never a "metal" band by any means.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:04 pm

ze_mau wrote:
Haggar can sing. wouldn´t say the same about Roth. don´t like his voice. I dunno, maybe I should listen to their music more carefully but alsmost everything I know by them I dislike. Oh and they where Never a "metal" band by any means.

I don't think anyone was trying to say they were. They just happen to fit into the older category you were going by in the original question. Now that's fair enough as far as not liking Roth's voice. The point you're missing there is VH with Roth is COMPLETELY different than they were with Hagar. The abba description doesn't fit in the least.

As a side note, I really enjoy sammy in Montrose. What he did with VH just does nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:07 pm

I know Haggar had a solo career and I liked what I´ve heard from it.
You´re correct on saying what they did with Roth was different than with Haggar , but in either phases nothing has really caught my attention in their music.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Van Halen was metal in the 70's, and certainly a huge influence on the glam metal scene that broke out a few years later.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Scorps followed by Y&T
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm in the Scorpions followed close by Y & T group too (from the list)

My personal favorite would be UFO

Phenomenon
Force It
No Heavy Petting

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

UFO seems like to be great Hard Rock from the 70´s that I have to check out. but no , neither UFO nor Van Halen are or where in anytime "metal"
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:47 pm

ze_mau wrote:
UFO seems like to be great Hard Rock from the 70´s that I have to check out. but no , neither UFO nor Van Halen are or where in anytime "metal"

If you need to check them out, how do you know what they are or what they are not ?  Sheesh

Compared to what metal is today...UFO is hard rock
Compared to what metal was in 1976....UFO was metal

Of course, my opinion is no more valid than yours individually.  But a consensus of people who listened to metal in 70's (what was had that is) my opinion is more widely held than yours.  No big deal.

See how that's done, debate without the carrot on a stick looking for that argumentative response from others.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm still the only person to vote for Y&T. You posers.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next