Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Wave of Thrash Metal

Go down 
+22
sovdat
Rami Airola
mlotek
Short-Fuse
DakotaRogers
James B.
Coram Deo
krokus
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Spiner202
metalhead777
choosemetal
Wargod
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Required Fields
ultmetal
Thelemech
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
ze_mau
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm

The essentials:

Vindicator- The Antique Witcheries
Immaculate- Atheist Crusade
Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost
Vektor- Black Future
Revocation- Chaos of Forms
Evil Army- Evil Army
Mantic Ritual- Executioner
Birth A.D.- I Blame You
Villainizer- I Bomb New York
Essence- Last Night of Solace
Titans Eve- Life Apocalypse
Power Trip- Manifest Decimation
Cross Examination- Menace II Sobriety
Vektor- Outer Isolation
The Porridgeface- The Porridgeface
HeXeN- State of Insurency
Havok- Time Is Up
Alphakill- Unmitigated Disaster
Reign of Fury- World Detonation
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 pm

New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 1538801_537779289676180_3751795597890946481_n
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 1538801_537779289676180_3751795597890946481_n

VEKTOR!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 4:33 am

Good call on Panikk Coram,Sovdat turned me onto them.Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Nice Morbid Saint T-Shirt ...
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 5:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Vindicator, Vektor, Havok are three I really dig. I also like some of the others mentioned already, but those three would probably top my list of favorites.

Disaffection from Brazil are cool too. Really enjoyed their last CD.

ze_mau wrote:
I´m a f*cking Thrashaholic just like Scott Waters is , you know.

HEY SCOTT , if you´re reading this, Holy Moses is REALLY missing in your collection.

Yup, sorry, can't keep up with it all.

Scott , you mentioned Dissaffection from Brasil , but I suggest you to check Violator ( from Brasil ) . there´s one thing with Violator that they "hate white metal" but their music doesn´t have any traces of satanic stupidity. I think they are really great.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Violator are cool. I have not heard their newest album, but previously their style & songs all sound too much the same. every record sounded exactly the same.
Reminds me of some albums, like VECTOM's Speed Revolution, where only 2 songs stood out simply due to the chorus parts.

I bought DISAFFECTION, which is good and has a crunchier thrash metal sound.
It also suffers initially where all the songs sound the same to me, all the riffs and songwriting is way too similar to each other.

Reign of Fury (2012) "World Detonation" is one I definitely need to order from Stormspell Records.
one of the best ever.
I think there was a band member here months ago, offering it for free, but if he ever reads this, I think it is worth buying! (and I speak that only because of listening fullblast to it...from a download I grabbed!! haha!)
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:18 pm

mlotek wrote:
Violator are cool. I have not heard their newest album, but previously their style & songs all sound too much the same. every record sounded exactly the same.
Reminds me of some albums, like VECTOM's Speed Revolution, where only 2 songs stood out simply due to the chorus parts.

I bought DISAFFECTION, which is good and has a crunchier thrash metal sound.
It also suffers initially where all the songs sound the same to me, all the riffs and songwriting is way too similar to each other.

Reign of Fury (2012) "World Detonation" is one I definitely need to order from Stormspell Records.
one of the best ever.
I think there was a band member here months ago, offering it for free, but if he ever reads this, I think it is worth buying! (and I speak that only because of listening fullblast to it...from a download I grabbed!! haha!)

You know, many people say bands like Violator and Dissafection are just 80´s Bay Area / NY Thrash rip offs but I don´t care about that. and Thrash is not muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch about variety altought you can actually distinguish 2 songs unlike Grindcore for example.

I respect Dissafection a lot because they are not ashamed to show everyone their secular metal influences. well let me stop here about this you get my point.

I think this band "Hating Evil" (White Metal) has a lot of potential too , I showed it to a friend and he told me he was blown away by their sound but he coudn´t believe it was a evangelical band.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:56 pm

lol white metal
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes, I think it was ultmetal who also posted about "Hating Evil", so I checked it out and was blown away too!

back to thrash metal bands these days sounding like the 1980s, that is fine with me.
There were a LOT of bands back then that had their own styles/sounds,
and i also sometimes am in the mood to hear an album that is heads down, all out, even of the songs are similar at first to me.

What I DON'T LIKE are many of the bands that came out after 2000 that sound perfectly clean and sterile.
When it was still running, ThrashUnlimted Radio would play a lot of new bands that ALL sounded alike - the singing, the drumming, the guitar tones. EVERY band sounded exactly the same. Like the same members and the same recording studio.
There was NOTHING different between any of them!
(It would take time to figure out names of those bands, as they weren't anything special.)

Yes, sure, it was all fast, catchy, and enjoyable, but I couldn't bother buying any of their cd's. Another generic copycat band would just appear the next day.
It felt like a trend, a huge joke, none of them tried to be original,
and
I really despise crap named LICH KING.
Would not bother me if they disappeared completely.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:06 pm

I have already seen some people complaining about Lich King, what´s wrong about them ?
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:14 pm

ze_mau wrote:
I have already seen some people complaining about Lich King, what´s wrong about them ?

a lot.
I am not going to start typing an essay why Lich King Sucks, just googlesearch.
I could tell you what nasty words to also use in the search, but they probably would be changed by the automatic filter of the forum.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Not a thing, these guys are great. Don't F*ck with the King.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:27 pm

I think that Lich King got a fair bit of abuse for using a drum machine on the first record, but it was pretty much a one guy hobby record. Since they have been a proper band i think that they are okay, but like a lot of NWOTM bands, they don't do much for me. My cousin knows the Lich King guy well and says he's a really cool guy who loves thrash metal, not sure what there is to get upset about with them tbh.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 7:42 am

mlotek wrote:

What I DON'T LIKE are many of the bands that came out after 2000 that sound perfectly clean and sterile.
When it was still running, ThrashUnlimted Radio would play a lot of new bands that ALL sounded alike - the singing, the drumming, the guitar tones. EVERY band sounded exactly the same. Like the same members and the same recording studio.
There was NOTHING different between any of them!
(It would take time to figure out names of those bands, as they weren't anything special.)

Yeah, I kinda agree with this.

I've always been very fond of thrash metal. To me, it is the ultimate form of metal music.

I was really excited when I started seeing the "revival" of thrash. I really liked Gama Bomb's Zombie Blood Nightmare. I bought the album Citizen Brain, which I kinda found me forcing myself to like it more than I actually did. I looked for other new thrash bands, but what I ended up hearing was mostly just the same. The riffs weren't that exciting and many thrash metal bands were singing about thrash metal, or various retro topics with tons of irony. I checked out band after another on Youtube and very rarely I heard something interesting. People were saying Municipal Waste is amazing, but I couldn't get into that at all.

To be fair though, I also tried to look up some old thrash bands, and was quickly bored of amazingly many bands sounding like Kreator (which actually itself is a band I've never really got into) and Destruction (which I like).

One of the new thrash bands I've liked is Cross Examination.

However, I don't know if I'd be much into them if they had a different vocalist. The riffs aren't THAT great, and the lyrics are about thrash and retro stuff with tons of irony like so many other bands have (although I find those lyrics being much better than what the other bands have). What really hooked me on them was that insane vocal delivery. It sounds like he's just about to destroy his vocal cords and he definitely sounds something that many listeners will undoubtedly hate, but I love it.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

Well , this Cross Examination sounds cool to me , but sometimes a little generic. OK , many good lists posted here, I´ll start by the "more important" ones.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

Listen to what you dig  headbanger 

I recommend playing new music (stuff you've never heard) in a dark room with a good pair of headphones.  You have no distractions and for the most part can appreciate individual aspects of the music by being able to notice what's happening.

Preconceived notions will ruin a lot of music, especially the modern era of the thrash flavor.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Headphones all the way. But I´m unable to use them for a reason. I think it was a punishment from the Gods for a reason.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:37 pm

It's great to see Eruption and Panikk mentioned here, but I'll still say that Negligence are the best thing to come out of Slovenia. As for the whole thrash revival, what bothers me the most are lyrics/the whole attitude. I just lost interest in it years ago after listening to bands like Fueled by Fire and Strikemaster: stolen riffs and generic booze/thrash lyrics. I'm sure I've missed plenty of bands since and I'm in for some cool recommendations ��
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm

I didn´t like Toxic Holocaust because of the vocals.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Thrash isn't about vocals.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:

Sometimes it is. I don´t like the growled stuff , that´s why I don´t listen to "Claustrofobia" , besides, they sing in portuguese.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:01 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:

Bad vocals have killed my enjoyment many a potentially great thrash album, I really can't stand thrash with high pitched singers (I'm lookin at you Katon)
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Avenger of Blood
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Rami Airola wrote:

One of the new thrash bands I've liked is Cross Examination.

However, I don't know if I'd be much into them if they had a different vocalist. The riffs aren't THAT great, and the lyrics are about thrash and retro stuff with tons of irony like so many other bands have (although I find those lyrics being much better than what the other bands have). What really hooked me on them was that insane vocal delivery. It sounds like he's just about to destroy his vocal cords and he definitely sounds something that many listeners will undoubtedly hate, but I love it.

yes, Cross Examination the very first time I heard them, I was sort of shocked/amazed, which can be a good thing.

Most of their material sounds alike, but I don't mind that because yes, it is the crazy, shrieky vocals that sets them apart.
Too many bands lack identity, something which wasn't in the 1980s (not including copycat / clone bands).
In the 1980s, you could tell bands apart not only due to a particular drummer or guitarist but mainly the singer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Wave of Thrash Metal   New Wave of Thrash Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Wave of Thrash Metal
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next