Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist

Go down 
+18
Thrasher73
MoonChild
Boris2008
Thelemech
Lari
Leatherface
Troublezone
bgsully
stpatrik
James B.
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Icy Grave
thejokeriv
DallasBlack
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Testament
Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Vote_lcap78%Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Vote_rcap
 78% [ 25 ]
Metallica
Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Vote_lcap22%Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Vote_rcap
 22% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Empty
PostSubject: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

Metallica certainly seems to be the popular choice between the two with their first four albums, while Testament would have one in the latter era albums. Now between the two bands though, who do you think had the better lead guitarist?

I like Kirk's playing no doubt, but Alex's solo work is unmatched by most in the thrash genre. His solos are amazing and played with such passion that Kirk doesn't come close IMO.

Yes, Alex left the band after The Ritual, but I think that's irrelevant to this poll. Not to slight James Murphy, don't get me wrong. He's an awesome player too. I mean his solo on Trail Of Tears is just phenomenal. However, for the purpose of this I'm going to leave it between Kirk and Alex.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:46 am

Easy - Testament, Alex is an amazing player... he's actually a much better player now than he was prior to leaving Exodus. He not only can play but understands music theory and can play outside of thrash with the best.

Kirk is no slouch either and is a great player, Alex is just better and more knowledgable.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 am

Gotta go with Skolnick. Kirk Hammett is a great player and I like what I've heard from him. Alex just seems to be much better.
Back to top Go down
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 am

God, I wish I had listened to more of Testament's stuff before Alex left, then I could maybe have an opinion on the other side because I do listen to Metallica more than Testament, but I like the latter a smidgen more than the former.

Um...I like The Ritual? *falls over* :/
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Testament, because Alex is a beast. I think Kirk probably gets bashed too much (I really like his work on the early stuff). But Alex is in another league.

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Icy Grave wrote:

The Ritual is good, it's just not their best. Electric Crown, So Many Lies, and Return to Serenity in particular are quite good.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah I'll be surprised if anyone here chooses Kirk. Kirk has some nice sounding stuff but he's mostly a tad hack. Alex is a learned virtuoso with a hundred times the technique of Kirk. Kirk sticks to pentatonic noodling with occasional minor flourishes and has a far slower LR speed combo. Plus Alex incorporates more melody than Kirk ever has.

Let me put it this way--as a seasoned guitarist, I can pick up any tab of Metallica and learn the solo in less than an hour. Testament? Ha, yeah right.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Testament easily.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

This isn't even debatable.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
This isn't even debatable.

yeah, if original poster was referring to Mega Dave (IMHDO) there might be some discussion on the matter.

Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Kirk is probably average at best in the genre, but at least I remember his solos.
Back to top Go down
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Icy Grave wrote:

The Ritual is good, it's just not their best. Electric Crown, So Many Lies, and Return to Serenity in particular are quite good.

True, indeed, it's not the best of their albums with Alex, but I do enjoy it most out of all of those.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 1:17 pm

007 wrote:
Gotta go with Skolnick. Kirk Hammett is a great player and I like what I've heard from him. Alex just seems to be much better.

Yep - Kirk gets ragged on a bit, probably because of Metallica's post-black album releases more than his talent level. They both learned from Satriani, but Alex has never stopped learning, even to this day he tries to learn more. Heck, the guy quit Testament to become a better musician! I do think Kirk doesn't always get the credit he deserves.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Love Kirk's playing, but Alex is much better IMO.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Alex is better! In fact, he should give Kirk lessons. Although I do think Kirk was good up to the Justice album, before he got rich, lazy and Wah pedal crazy.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Testament
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:23 pm

This isn't even a question, haha. Kirk Hammett likes to hide behind the pedal too much.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 4:02 pm

What about Eric Peterson vs Kirk Hammett? Since both Alex and Eric play lead in Testament. I read Alex's autobiography recently and he said that a sore point of contention in the early Testament days was that he was the lead and Eric as Rhythm (for Eric anyway)
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

This shouldn't even be a poll.

Skolnick is top ten in my personal list. He is versatile and exciting.

Hammett and Hetfield may be popular and even on Guitar Hero and what not, but Metallica isn't and never was about skill, but about speed, aggression and infectious songwriting. Nothing wrong with that either. Good music =/= technical skill. Just pointing out the obvious here.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Love both of them, both have a lot to offer but Skolnick is just above and beyond. I do think that early Hammet is very memorable.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't play geetar so I don't really know. Kirks solos from the first three are etched into my brain. Testament have always been a band I'll listen to but their stuff never sticks in my head. I'm sure that Alex is the better guitarist because people who know this stuff say so.

Kirk does suck now though Sad
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 1:42 am

Testament
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 am

Alex all the way
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:51 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Easy - Testament, Alex is an amazing player... he's actually a much better player now than he was prior to leaving Exodus. He not only can play but understands music theory and can play outside of thrash with the best.

Kirk is no slouch either and is a great player, Alex is just better and more knowledgable.

X2
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Good music and technical skill are two different things - not that one can't incorporate the two, but I'll take an infectious, memorable solo over technical wankery any day of the week.

PS: I'm not talking about Kirk or Alex, just in general
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist   Who Had The Better Lead Guitarist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next