Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

You Can Catch The Devil But . . .

Go down 
+5
corplhicks
Lovecraft
tohostudios
Glower
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Empty
PostSubject: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:03 pm

I love that episode of TZ.

I have the entire series on DVD and while there are a few clunkers here and there (mostly when they tried expanding the show to an hour), the majority of the episodes are gems.

I think Rod Serling was a sci-fi/horror genius; he wrote a lot of the episodes himself.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 pm

I'd love to have that series on dvd. Those babies are classic.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm

What's really cool in a "look how far we've come" sort of way is many of the early episodes conclude with a wraparound segment featuring Serling pitching cigarettes.  The DVD set I have includes those with the episodes.

This is the set I have.  You can get it for between $70-$80.  Not bad for 28 discs:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Twilight-Zone-Definitive-Collection/dp/B000H5U5EE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402784011&sr=8-2&keywords=twilight+zone

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 pm

You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . 7cc2cc7a-0350-44b4-99a1-5592419a21d9

Did you happen to follow Rod Serling - into " The Night Gallery " -
to me, it was WAY creepier than The Twilight Zone.
The intro, in the darkish art gallery -
and the painting exhibit - always spooked me out -
I was at the perfect age Very Happy
I think this is a great heavy metal lp painting -
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 6:58 pm

I didn't like Night Gallery as much as Twilight Zone.  But I agree, the paintings thing was pretty creepy.

I think Night Gallery focused TOO much on trying to be creepy and the stories suffered for it.  I much prefer the atmosphere of Twilight Zone.

Plus, I think TZ was more broad.  With each episode, you never knew if you were going to get sci-fi, horror, occult or some combination thereof.  I think NG was pretty much mired in macabre stories; basically a horror/thriller show.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 9:01 pm

But Night Gallery did have that wild episode about the earwigs tunneling through a person's head. Very wince inducing and completely unforgettable.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 10:23 pm

The Twilight Zone always had some pretty good actors and actresses -
Telly Savalas - and the talking doll - damn - that one got me - big time -
Charlse Bronson - Lee Marvin - Robert Redford -
Art Carney - Jack Klugman - Burgess Merideth - etc
I heard that Serling had a near death experience when serving in Vietnam - is that true ?
He was a heavy cigerette smoker too -
How about - "The Outer Limits" - Remember that show ?
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:52 am

The Twilight Zone is my favorite show of all time. Timeless genius.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Yes the Outer Limits was awesome too. My introduction to to it was on an old independent local station (which is now our CW affiliate) that broadcast it on Sunday afternoons.

Last edited by 007 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:31 am

All those shows were awesome and need to be resurrected in some form. Even the two reboots of TZ were pretty cool, even if they did pale in comparison. Amazing Stories was my other favorite. Mirror Mirror anyone...?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:
All those shows were awesome and need to be resurrected in some form. Even the two reboots of TZ were pretty cool, even if they did pale in comparison. Amazing Stories was my other favorite. Mirror Mirror anyone...?

That would be cool, but it would have to be in B&W for TZ and OL. There's something about the B&W format and the noir way that it(mostly TZ) was filmed that sucks me in.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:10 pm

The Twilight Zone would be utterly irreplaceable as a cultural touchstone if for no other reason than:

You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Giphy
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Don't have the DVD's but the episodes are on Netflix. As for Night Gallery, it has its moments. It currently runs on MeTV and we started watching it but some of them are downright boring, especially the episodes that follow that paranormal investigator guy.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Off topic, but speaking of pitching smokes....

You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Doctors_prefer_camels_20100815_1803769469
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Runicen wrote:
The Twilight Zone would be utterly irreplaceable as a cultural touchstone if for no other reason than:

There are actually 2 episodes with Shatner.  Everyone remembers the thing on the airplane wing episode but he was also in one where he and his girl are in a diner and there's a skull on the table that predicts the future.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:48 am

tohostudios wrote:
Runicen wrote:

There are actually 2 episodes with Shatner.  Everyone remembers the thing on the airplane wing episode but he was also in one where he and his girl are in a diner and there's a skull on the table that predicts the future.

Wait... He was on a plane? Seriously, I see him making that face and my mind goes completely blank for half an hour.  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 am

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Well thanks to this thread I'm rewatching my Twilight Zone Definitive Collection again. It's been several years since I've watch them so I guess it was about time.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 3:30 pm

They just recently played the episode that sparked this thread and just finished the The Odyssey of Flight 33.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Can Catch The Devil But . . .   You  Can  Catch  The  Devil  But . . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You Can Catch The Devil But . . .
Page 1 of 1