Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So who read Michael Sweet's book?

Go down 
+7
mr.electric39
brokentulsa
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Big Rich
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Empty
PostSubject: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Very good read.

Some points:

1. I loved the story about Oz at the the school lunchtime show, and made me like Oz even more.

2. Lots of other cool stories i had never heard before, like all the issues with the Live In Japan recording, when he bought his Corvette with 40,000 dollars in cash, while the guy looked at him like he was homeless.

3. He was very nice to Robert in the book, and seems to have genuine regret as to the way Tim was treated. was brutally honest about Oz Fox's songwriting skills, which kind of shocked me since Oz seems to be his best friend in the band. Also said some stuff about his mom that she could not have liked.

4.The part about his first wife dying was very hard to read. For those people that thought he was cheating on his wife now with her, while she was dying... No chance of that. The dude slept in her hospital room every night until she passed.

5. I've never read the word GOD so much in my life.

All in all a great read, and I really liked it, but I thought I would.

Anybody else?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I read it, interesting read. He doesn't call out the rest of the band anywhere near as much as other rock star biographies.

Not the best prose in the world, but it was great to read the stories behind the rise and fall of Stryper. I got the impression that he isn't that close to his family, or hasn't been for a number of years. Bob's probably the one that would be most pissed at him about the book - he seemed to call him out that most, some stuff should have been family secrets (i.e. living with his wife before they were married and telling people they were married - at this point why do you need to put it in your book? The have a bunch of kids now, why need to bring it up?) He did call out his Mom quite a bit in the book too.

The stuff about his late wife was hard to read, sad indeed.

I was surprised that he admitted to the shotgun wedding.... had that leaked back in the 80's, the evangelical church would have had a field day with that info.

Interesting to read about the Against The Law days...

Cool read for all Stryper fans!

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Might be my next read. I'm reading Paul Stanley's book at the moment.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:21 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I read it, interesting read. He doesn't call out the rest of the band anywhere near as much as other rock star biographies.

Not the best prose in the world, but it was great to read the stories behind the rise and fall of Stryper. I got the impression that he isn't that close to his family, or hasn't been for a number of years. Bob's probably the one that would be most pissed at him about the book - he seemed to call him out that most, some stuff should have been family secrets (i.e. living with his wife before they were married and telling people they were married - at this point why do you need to put it in your book? The have a bunch of kids now, why need to bring it up?) He did call out his Mom quite a bit in the book too.

The stuff about his late wife was hard to read, sad indeed.

I was surprised that he admitted to the shotgun wedding.... had that leaked back in the 80's, the evangelical church would have had a field day with that info.

Interesting to read about the Against The Law days...

Cool read for all Stryper fans!

I thought he was okay to Bob.

The stuff about him not being married to Starri is pretty common knowledge for Stryper fans.

I never knew Michael jr was conceived out of wedlock though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:26 pm

It's on my short list of things I wanna read but I haven't gotten to it yet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 2:22 am

Plan on reading it soon.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm about half way through it...great book full of surprises...
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:43 pm

would like to read it.... I'll get around to it eventually I'm sure
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Musician biographies seem to be the biggest trend in recent times. I wonder if they partly do it to make up for the lack of music sales.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:19 pm

It seems like a great read, I need to pick it up and check it out
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 12:50 am

I didn't know it was out yet. I'd like to read it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 am

Late to the party here, but I finally got a chance to read Michael's book - finished it over this past weekend. Very good read and some eye opening stuff, I had no idea how F'd up they all were around the time of Against the Law.

It would be interesting to see an updated edition with some extra chapters about stuff that has happened since the book's first publication, i.e. the meltdown with Tim Gaines.

I had to go the e-book route on this one (which is a first) cuz hard copies of this thing are crazy expensive now - upwards of $40 a shot on Amazon. Was it a limited run or something?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Hmmm no idea on pricing I bought mine used on eBay for like 5 bucks but that was a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am

I’ve been wanting to read it for ages. I hope I can find a good used copy before going the digital route.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So who read Michael Sweet's book?     So who read Michael Sweet's book?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So who read Michael Sweet's book?
Page 1 of 1