Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Tom Petty Song?

Go down 
+22
80s Metal Lady
MetallicSeminarian
Glower
James B.
rajah
Svengo
Runicen
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
chewie
metalinmyveins
Addy
akeldama
QuothTheRaven
jstate
mikeinfla
tohostudios
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Favorite Tom Petty Song? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 pm

You know you dig his music.  So what is your favorite song?

For me, it is Century City - simply because I have a really good memory attached to that song.

Century City is #1, but pretty much every other Petty/Heartbreakers tune would be 2A-2Z because, really, they are all darn good.  I would struggle big time to try to pick one over another.  Can't say that about many hard rock artists [maybe ZZ Top or Bryan Adams].

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Century City is a great pick, along with the rest of that album. Listen to Her Heart and The Waiting have always been my lyrical favorites, but for sheer beauty I have to list Runaway Trains as my top pick. Gets a lot of play in this home.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:17 pm

I've always had an affinity for the song 'American Girl'.

It always reminds me of that time when I hurt my arm and was trying to load a couch into my van. This young, full-figured college girl pulled up with that blasting from her stereo. She helped me get the couch into my van and was never seen again. Too bad. I never thanked her properly. My dog Precious misses her too.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Although I do like Tom Petty I don't own anything by him and am only familiar with his radio hits. Out of those,the first one that sprung to my mind is You Got Lucky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

The Waiting.  But not the studio version, the live version from Pack Up The Plantation where he performs the first half of the song solo.

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Nothing better than Petty on stage. Makes great songs GREATER!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
The Waiting.  But not the studio version, the live version from Pack Up The Plantation where he performs the first half of the song solo.

That album apparently got a lot of negative criticism when it came out. I have no idea why. That is the best song on the album, though. Made me cry upon first listen.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm not a big fan of Tom Petty, but I do enjoy Mike Campbell A LOT!! Fav Petty song?

Walls

Runnin Down a Dream, You Wreck Me, and Cabin Down Below, are all great songs as well.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:43 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Tom Petty, but I do enjoy Mike Campbell A LOT!! Fav Petty song?  

Walls

Runnin Down a Dream, You Wreck Me, and Cabin Down Below, are all great songs as well.

I'm gonna slightly echo S.D. here; I prefer this version of Walls:

Absolutely beautiful.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:12 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Walls

I'm gonna slightly echo S.D. here; I prefer this version of Walls:

Absolutely beautiful.

There are not many, if any at all, live versions of a song that I prefer over the studio. Vocally Petty sounds too high on that performance to me.

On a side note.. Mike Campbell..

Dude nails it on this song with his slide work WOW!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I had no idea Mike was in Wallflowers. Wow.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 pm

"I Need To Know"

I think this would make a great punk song.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
"I Need To Know"

I think this would make a great punk song.

I did a lot of Petty covers back in my gigging days; that was my personal favorite. Very much a punk song.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:

He just played the slide on that song, and never even stepped a foot in the studio with the band LOL.. Lovely things you can do with the Internet. He did a few solos for the punk band Bad Religion as well.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:37 pm

You Wreck Me!

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

He just played the slide on that song, and never even stepped a foot in the studio with the band LOL..  Lovely things you can do with the Internet.  He did a few solos for the punk band Bad Religion as well.  

Ah. Well, it was a memorable slide lol. I knew about his stint with BR but haven't taken the time to hear anything (not a big BR fan).
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Quote :
I've always had an affinity for the song 'American Girl'.

It always reminds me of that time when I hurt my arm and was trying to load a couch into my van. This young, full-figured college girl pulled up with that blasting from her stereo. She helped me get the couch into my van and was never seen again. Too bad. I never thanked her properly. My dog Precious misses her too.

That song used to have sentimental value for me until Silence Of The Lambs.  Now it reminds me of the first time I saw SOTL in the theater.  That movie was a mind blower the first time.

Some other Petty songs that have remained special for me - "Free Fallin", "Learning To Fly", "The Wild One, Forever".

If I had to pick one favorite it would be "Rebels".

This one is still my all time favorite music video
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 pm

The worst Petty song has to be Don't Come Around Here No More. Does anyone here actually like that song? Hard to believe it was a hit single.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

corplhicks wrote:
The worst Petty song has to be Don't Come Around Here No More. Does anyone here actually like that song? Hard to believe it was a hit single.

Don't get me started on the worst Petty song  Razz 
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

For some reason, I've always liked "It's Good to Be King" off of Wildflowers.  TheKing  I like most of his stuff, but haven't owned any until recently. I'm slowly building my collection though because I can!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Yes, I like the song, I also like the trippy music video that goes with it.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm

I like "Don't Come Around Here No More" but my top Petty songs are "Breakdown", "You Got Lucky", It's Good To Be King" & "Waiting For Tonight".
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Love Dont Come Around Here No More

Got a lot of favorite Tom Petty tunes
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Video was great, I'll give you that.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 8:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Yes the song and video were both pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Tom Petty Song?   Favorite Tom Petty Song? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Tom Petty Song?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next