Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arthur Brown

Go down 
+14
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Smindas
Thelemech
springozzy
Coram Deo
80s Metal Lady
18 posters
AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 pm

Don't laugh, but I just found out about this guy 10 minutes ago!

I was listening to More's Warhead album and heard the song "Fire." I recognized it immediately as a song Cirith Ungol did. I decided to look it up to see who originally did the song and learned about the "Crazy World" of Arthur Brown who was an influence on many of my favorite music acts including KISS, Peter Gabriel, Bruce Dickinson, King Diamond, etc. He was, obviously when watching this video, a big influence for Alice Cooper. I can imagine his act was quite bizarre, if not a bit shocking, for 1968.  I'm assuming there are fans of his music here.

Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 am

Never heard of him. Interesting fella.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
springozzy
Metal master
Metal master
springozzy

Number of posts : 866

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 am

Wow Never Heard of him either.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 4:10 am

I have heard of him but never went out of my way to hear any of his music - I may have to change that in the future.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 am

He's pretty well known here in Britain and I think you're definitely right about the influence he had on Alice. Last time I saw Cooper here in London, Arthur Brown even joined him on stage to do 'Fire', complete with burning head gear. Quite the character.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am

I've heard of him but only through the song Fire. It never really made me want to seek out anything by him though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 9:06 am

I don't have any of his albums, but I know of him because of how much he influenced Bruce Dickinson's vocal style.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 am

I knew of him through my father's old record collection. He had the song 'Fire' on an old 45. Of course, without the crazy visuals to go along, the song isn't quite the same. Still catchy though. I believe "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" still performs live, mostly in England. Not sure how the music holds up, but I'm sure the stage show is a sight to see.

Cathedral also did a cover of that song. I believe it was on an ep. Can't remember which one at the moment.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 am

Smindas wrote:
He's pretty well known here in Britain and I think you're definitely right about the influence he had on Alice. Last time I saw Cooper here in London, Arthur Brown even joined him on stage to do 'Fire', complete with burning head gear. Quite the character.

Here ya go...

And here's something a little more current from Mr. Brown & company. Puts me in a retro kinda mood.

Kooky!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am

Mr. Brown was also very recognizable and influential in the UK prog rock explosion.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 am

Doing a little digging around and it would appear that after the demise of the original "Crazy World of Arthur Brown" band in 1970, his next band was Kingdom Come, some 15 or so years before the "other" Kingdom Come of the 80's.

Here he is sans the make-up and theatrics and just fronting the Hamburg Blues Band in 2011. Guy has a killer voice for a dude in his 70's.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 am

My favorite episode of Metal Evolution.  Authur Brown is great in this.  Fun episode.
http://www.vh1.com/video/metal-evolution/full-episodes/shock-rock/1677704/playlist.jhtml

I found an Authur Brown disc used once. It was a little pricey and giving it a listen in store I decided it wasn't something I could take a full album plus bonus tracks of. From the samples it sounded like a few cool songs scattered amongst stuff I'd probably never revisit. Couldn't justify buying it. I wouldn't mind seeing the guy do his thing live though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

I knew because of the Alice connection but wasn't inclined to get his music. Quite an influence he wielded though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 am

jstate wrote:

I found an Authur Brown disc used once.  It was a little pricey and giving it a listen in store I decided it wasn't something I could take a full album plus bonus tracks of.  From the samples it sounded like a few cool songs scattered amongst stuff I'd probably never revisit.  Couldn't justify buying it.  I wouldn't mind seeing the guy do his thing live though.

Seems to be the general consensus amongst the internet community. He's put out alot of music, but you gotta slog through a lot of weird, avant-garde stuff to find the gems, which are few and far between. Probably more interesting live than on record.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 pm

I've never listened to an album even though I have always loved Fire. The other song posted makes me want to hear more though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:39 pm

I have the 7" single of The Crazy World of Authur Brown song "Fire".

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

I forget if it was in Sam Dunn's "Metal Evolution" series or in "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey," but in one of them, Bruce Dickinson goes on at great length about Arthur Brown's influence on him.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Arthur reciting the spoken word/poetry bits on Bruce's The Chemical Wedding album.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Trogdawn is a huge fan of Authur Brown.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Here ya go...
That's the very gig, thanks for digging that out mate - great gig!

Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 6:28 pm

I've heard about him but never listened to him, and now that I've seen that video... well, that's just not what I expected at all. Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I've heard of him and the "Fire" song, but nothing else. I do know Carl Palmer of ELP was in his band and I think Vincent Crane who formed Atomic Rooster was as well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Arthur Brown is cool and his albums are very dated but still a fun listen to. A favorite of Alice and Dennis Dunaway.
Back to top Go down

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 12:24 am

Worth noting that both Carl Palmer and Vincent Crane were in The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown.  Vincent Crane was fired during a US tour, Palmer was so furious he quit the band in protest.  They went back to England and formed Atomic Rooster. After their debut album Palmer quit the band to become the "P" in ELP.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 10:34 pm

His version of 'I put a spell on you' is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Arthur Brown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur Brown   Arthur Brown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arthur Brown
Page 1 of 1