Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Owning albums on all formats

Go down 
+13
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
Citanul
brokentulsa
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
Thrasher73
Required Fields
corplhicks
Thelemech
Boris2008
jstate
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Owning albums on all formats Empty
PostSubject: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

So I was thinking about some of the albums I own that are in all the different formats that they were released.

The big one for me is Suicidal Tendencies Join The Army.  I still remember finding that at Sam Goody on vinyl back in the day.  Then getting it on tape (twice!) for car and walkman.  And finally on disc.  Kinda disappointed it never got a big anniversary reissue.  I'd have bought it in a second.  Come on 30th anniversary edition!

I've also bought King Diamond's Abigail on all of the cd releases that has gotten.  I'm a sucker so I'd probably buy any future release of it as well.

The strange one is having three cd versions of Dio's Killing The Dragon (the regular release, the deluxe one, and the combo with Magica).  Also have the picture disc.  

What albums do you own in various formats?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm

I tend to buy the Vinyl first, and then maybe the CD if I want it on the go, some record companies do great combo deals so I'll get those. If the vinyl comes with a download I really see no reason to bother with CD (unless it's got a ton of essential extras)

Really should get a USB turntable and save myself some cash!  Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 pm

I have Iron Maiden Live After Death on Vinyl, two different Cd editions and the DVD. I also used to have the cassette.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Really should get a USB turntable and save myself some cash!  Embarassed 

Especially since these days the LP usually sounds better and is often far less compressed than the CD issue.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 10:55 pm

I actually own all my Neil Young on vinyl, so rather than purchasing all, what, 57 or so the CD versions, I plan on just transferring the LP's over. Same thing with my VH, since I can't afford the HD tracks and my copies are the latest "remastered" shit (they sound terrible).
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 am

I have CD and cassette versions of a few albums. That's it. Even then, I now longer live with my parents, and apart from a few cassettes at my house, all of the cassettes I owned I left at my parents' house when I moved out in 2012. I'm pretty sure they are in the attic at the moment. So at my house, I only have the CD versions of those albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:33 am

Mostly just my Stryper collection.I have to buy everything they release from vinyl,cassette back then and CD.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I have 'Frontiers', '1984', and 'Pyromania' on LP, Cassette and CD.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm

When I win the lottery, my vinyl collection will explode.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:54 am

I have a lot of 80s metal where I own the record..cassette..cd and in some cases a remastered cd in addition.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am

I kinda had a cassette-CD thing going for a while but I just ended up throwing out my cassettes. They're a pain in the ass anyway.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 am

Required Fields wrote:
I have CD and cassette versions of a few albums. That's it. Even then, I now longer live with my parents, and apart from a few cassettes at my house, all of the cassettes I owned I left at my parents' house when I moved out in 2012. I'm pretty sure they are in the attic at the moment. So at my house, I only have the CD versions of those albums.

That's pretty much my situation as well - I left all my cassettes at my parents' house. Some of them I've bought the CD version since, but most of them I haven't as my tastes have changed since then so I haven't felt the need to reacquire them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 am

There have been tons 'n' tons of albums that I originally bought on cassette but later upgraded to CD.  

I can think of a couple of albums that I've owned in all three major formats over the years (LP, tape, and CD) ... Metallica's Kill'Em All, Raven's All For One, the first W.A.S.P. album, Ramones' Rocket To Russia and AC/DC's Let There Be Rock ... there were probably others but those are the ones I know for sure.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 am

There are quite a few I owned in all 3 formats, but do not currently own all 3 format.

-Appeitite for Destruction
-Lies
-And Justice For All
-State of Euphoria
-I'm the Man
-Among the Living
-Persistence of Time
-First 4 Crue albums
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 am

Basically it's just my KISS collection but even now, I no longer own the releases on cassette. My cassette collection was slowly sold off through ebay and yard sales.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

CD's only, haven't bought vinyl since the 80's and have no use for it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 am

My vinyl consists only of the KISS discography up to Alive III (blue and autographed by the whole then current band). The rest I sold a long time ago (back in the 90s) because my turntable quit working. I've never replaced it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 am

Quote :
My cassette collection was slowly sold off through ebay and yard sales.

Mine too. For a long time, whenever I "upgraded" an old tape to CD, I'd just toss the tape into a box in the closet cuz I didn't have the heart to simply throw them away. Needless to say, after a couple of years that box got to be pretty full.

When my wife and I had a yard sale about ten years ago I put out that box of tapes ("50 cents each!") and some big ole bearded biker lookin' dude went absolutely bananas when he saw'em, he must've bought 30 or 40 of them. When he came up to pay he sez to me "You got some great stuff here! Why are you getting rid of all these?" and I really wanted to reply "Umm...well, they've got these new fangled things called CDs now, ya heard of 'em?" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:07 am

007 wrote:
My vinyl consists only of the KISS discography up to Alive III (blue and autographed by the whole then current band).

I wouldn't own that on any format!  insane
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 am

At one time I owned Aerosmith's s/t debut in vinyl, cassette, cd and 8-track. My brother found the 8-track at a flea market and gave it to me as a joke. I still have the vinyl and cd, both tapes have gone bye-bye.

I think I still have a cassette copy (and cd of course) of GnR's Appetite for Destruction.

Like others here, all my other many cassette tapes got sold or tossed a long time ago. The only other tapes I have left are about 20 or so mix tapes I made back in the day. Not sure why I still have them. I don't think I have a working tape deck anymore in the house.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am

Quote :
At one time I owned Aerosmith's s/t debut in vinyl, cassette, cd and 8-track. My brother found the 8-track at a flea market and gave it to me as a joke. I still have the vinyl and cd, both tapes have gone bye-bye.

Dang, I would've hung onto the 8-track, simply as a curiosity item!!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I would've hung onto the 8-track, simply as a curiosity item!!

If I remember correctly, it may have gotten wet in a leaky roof incident back in my apartment dwelling days. Not that I had a working 8-track player for it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:32 am

Occasionally some 8 tracks will turn up at the thrift store I frequent. I don't have a player either but I always look at 'em cuz if a cool one turned up, I'd pick it up just for gits & shiggles as a conversation piece.

Since I've already got a whole bunch of other KISS collectible junk on a shelf in my bedroom (Gene Simmons figure, Xmas ornaments, PEZ set, etc.) I figure a vintage "Love Gun" or "Destroyer" 8 track would look right at home up there. No luck finding one yet, though. For some reason, many of the 8 tracks that come thru this place tend to be easy listening, or soundtracks to long forgotten Broadway shows and movies. For all I know some of those may be highly prized collectibles, but I have no clue about those genres.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Occasionally some 8 tracks will turn up at the thrift store I frequent. I don't have a player either but I always look at 'em cuz if a cool one turned up, I'd pick it up just for gits & shiggles as a conversation piece.

Since I've already got a whole bunch of other KISS collectible junk on a shelf in my bedroom (Gene Simmons figure, Xmas ornaments, PEZ set, etc.) I figure a vintage "Love Gun" or "Destroyer" 8 track would look right at home up there. No luck finding one yet, though. 8 tracks that come thru this place tend to be easy listening, or soundtracks to long forgotten Broadway shows and movies. For all I know some of those may be highly prized collectibles, but I have no clue about those genres.

I had Alive on 8 track when I was a kid. I got it at a yard sale, and the stereo I had in my room, which was a hand-me-down from my dad, has an 8 track player, so I did listen to it.

Also, regarding the cassettes. I've rekindled my love of cassettes. I know it's simply out of nostalgia, but I'm enjoying them right now. Especially demo tapes.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 am

I have owned the entire Priest catalog on Cassette, CD, Remastered CD, and vinyl. I should say I have the vinyl up through Painkiller. By the way, Painkiller was never issued on vinyl in the U.S., but you could get the import.

Orchid - The Mouths of Madness - I've got that on CD, Vinyl (two different versions) and cassette.

Kiss - Alive! - have that on cassette, cd and vinyl

Aerosmith - Greatest Hits - Vinyl, Cassette, CD and minidisc.

MSG - Perfect Timing - Cassette, CD and Vinyl

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owning albums on all formats   Owning albums on all formats Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Owning albums on all formats
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next