Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.

Go down 
+8
metalheaded
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
metalhead777
Shawn Of Fire
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Empty
PostSubject: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

"A crossover of Black Metal and Shoegaze".

I was looking at the Power Trip album on Amazon, and one of the "other things people bought who liked this thing" suggestions was a band called Deafheaven. I never heard of it, but if it might be similar to Power Trip, I'll check the reviews.

And I noticed the above genre comparison in one of the reviews. Well, I knew from that I would not Deafheaven, if it remotely resembled a mash-up of those two genres. But I had to check it out on Spotify, as that just sounded so horrible.

And it really is. I guess, according to the reviews, this record was a buzzed about kind of deal. I seriously could never guess as to why. I just do not get it. I barely get black metal and/or shoegaze on their own. But throw two of the most--in my opinion--boring musical styles around in a blender...man.

Anyway...I felt I needed to share. I'm sure there are some here who like shoegaze, and I know there are those who love black metal here. And for fans of either, that comparison is probably offensive. Like if someone referred to Papa Roach as a crossover of thrash and hip hop, or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm

"Shoegaze" is one of the dumbest musical genre descriptors I've ever heard...and this is in a world full of genre tags that are utterly meaningless. People don't actually listen to music anymore, they just categorize it. Sad, pointless.

As for what you described above that is basically how Alcest started out. I quite like their albums and find them to be perfect late-night listens when I want to relax and clear my head.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm still waiting to hear someone cross tr00 grimm kvlt black metal with country music. Yeeeehaw!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm

The Deafheaven record is amazing. Alcest are amazing, Germ are amazing, Les Discrets are amazing, all incorporate some shoegaze elements into a post black landscape. If it's not your thing I can understand that, but these are some really creative people.

I love genre blending and the black metal scene has always been open to it, I don't know of many people who get offended by that term other than corse painted teenagers who listen to Mayhem and the like all day long.  tr00 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Just for you FF

Black metal banjo!!  headbanger tr00 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The Deafheaven record is amazing. Alcest are amazing, Germ are amazing, Les Discrets are amazing, all incorporate some shoegaze elements into a post black landscape. If it's not your thing I can understand that, but these are some really creative people.

I love genre blending and the black metal scene has always been open to it, I don't know of many people who get offended by that term other than corse painted teenagers who listen to Mayhem and the like all day long.  tr00 

I'm sampling the Deafheaven record and it's a little too far into the black metal side of things (primarily the vocals) to be something I'd listen to regularly but it's definitely interesting.

I absolutely love Alcest though, they continue to release fascinating, beautiful music.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I'm sampling the Deafheaven record and it's a little too far into the black metal side of things (primarily the vocals) to be something I'd listen to regularly but it's definitely interesting.

I absolutely love Alcest though, they continue to release fascinating, beautiful music.

I agree about the vocals on the Deafheaven record, I just let it drift into the music and it doesn't bother me too much. The new Germ record is incredible, absolute genius and a shoe in for my top five for last year although the vocals might put you off again, although there is a mix of black and clean vocals, you should give it a try because it's amazing.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Alcest is awesome...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Never heard of Alcest, but if it's remotely similar to this, I don't imagine I'll be able to get down with it.

When I was growing up, and then especially in my early 20s, many of my friends who listened to punk and stuff also listened to bands like MBV, Slowdive, etc. I gave those bands an honest try. But it was just too uneventful.

In my mellower 30s, I've tried revisiting them, as I like a lot of mellower stuff that I wasn't into when I was younger. I still get really bored.

I do agree that black metal bands (maybe not it's angstier fans) are always down to bend some genre junk...but I generally don't care much for the outcome.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Funny, next concert I'm actually going to is a Deafheaven concert next month.  lol! 
I'm not a "huge" fan of them. I mean, I can listen to it and enjoy it, but they kinda bore me after a while. Really just using it as a chance to get out with a college buddy I don't see a lot. I do find them pretty unique and I when I'm in a mood for something weird I can get into them. Just something thats situational for me I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm

There are bands that mix screamo with rap out there. They're called "crunkcore". What a bad combination.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Never heard of Alcest, but if it's remotely similar to this, I don't imagine I'll be able to get down with it.

Alcest is very "pretty", mostly clean, ringing guitar tones, melodic vocals (often in French), very atmospheric in nature. The mood is very meditative, contemplative.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
"Shoegaze" is one of the dumbest musical genre descriptors I've ever heard. 

haha. I would agree if not for "djent".

It just keeps getting dumber as time goes on. Stuff like this makes "crabcore" sound legit.

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm

What on earth is "shoegaze"??

Or do I even want to know?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:32 pm

People here upset over something unfamiliar...... nothing new there.....

I think you meant to post THIS video:

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
People here upset over something unfamiliar...... nothing new there.....

Ha, if that was directed at me, I'm generally a pretty open minded dude.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:
"Shoegaze" is one of the dumbest musical genre descriptors I've ever heard. 

haha.  I would agree if not for "djent".

It just keeps getting dumber as time goes on.  Stuff like this makes "crabcore" sound legit.

Not true, there is no dumber name for a musical genre than Doo wop!!! (and that's from the 1940's)  lol!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Play the blackened disco video I posted, I dare you all..
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Play the blackened disco video I posted, I dare you all..

Is that what it's supposed to be? Doesn't sound like either, it sounds like a crappy generic pop song with some equally crappy guitars added. The girl does have a nice bum though!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Both black metal & shoegaze are atmospheric moody forms. Makes sense that they are blended together by some bands.

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

mc666 wrote:
Both black metal & shoegaze are atmospheric moody forms. Makes sense that they are blended together by some bands.

^ This.

I think my favorite record which is technically a part of this is probably ".neon" by Lantlôs. There is a lot of soul in that album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Lantlos (I don't know how to do the little accent thing!) are about the only Neige related project that I haven't checked out so far. Pretty sure that will be remedied before too long
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm

It wouldn't necessarily be the "worst" to me, but if someone combined crossover with progressive thrash, I'd be amused.

I guess that would sound something like "Chaosmongers" by Voivod.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Holy sh*t! Semargl used to sound like this!

I kind of assumed that they were just a bunch of club kids playing around with black metal imagery. Man they must have some pissed off fans!!  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Holy sh*t! Semargl used to sound like this!

I kind of assumed that they were just a bunch of club kids playing around with black metal imagery. Man they must have some pissed off fans!!  Laughing very hard 

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard such a wild crossover in my life. That's crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.   The worst cross genre mashing I can think of. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The worst cross genre mashing I can think of.
Page 1 of 1