Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in

Go down 
+10
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
jstate
kmorg
Addy
exact33
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 pm

No, I have no problems with the open ending, for whatever reason the film just didn't click with me emotionally. I can't really say exactly why that is.

I'm busy compiling my 2013 list, at last count I think I've seen about 75 movies so it's quite the task to sort.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
No, I have no problems with the open ending, for whatever reason the film just didn't click with me emotionally.  I can't really say exactly why that is.  

I'm busy compiling my 2013 list, at last count I think I've seen about 75 movies so it's quite the task to sort.  

Well, when you create a thread for 2013, I'm sure you and I will have seen the most movies...again  lol! I'm not much of a theater guy, so I usually rent most of mine (Family Video a mile away from the house). It's my plan to see all of the movies, which are currently up for Academy Awards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

I stopped collecting music for the most part and funneled that money into movie tickets instead, I love going to the theater and this is the best place I've ever lived for that.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
I stopped collecting music for the most part and funneled that money into movie tickets instead, I love going to the theater and this is the best place I've ever lived for that.

That's cool. My 2013 was all about renting movies, and I literally bought only one album from last year. The other movie I saw last night after watching "Blue Jasmine", was "The Spectacular Now". Have you seen that? It's in the vain of a movie like "The First Time" or "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". If you haven't, I definitely recommend it. It's just a really smart film. Shailene Woodley is definitely one of the bright young actresses. Her first two movies, "The Descendants" and "The Spectacular Now". Not a bad start.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

The Spectacular Now was truly excellent, it would be in my top 10 films from 2013.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 3:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
The Spectacular Now was truly excellent, it would be in my top 10 films from 2013.

Have you seen the movie "Adore" w/Naomi Watts and Robin Wright? I saw this movie about a week ago, and I'm still trying to figure out why I liked this movie, beyond the fact that I really like both actresses.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 pm

S.D. wrote:

After singing Ms. Woodley's praises, I get on YouTube this morning, and the video they're pushing is a new movie she'll be in this summer called "The Fault In Our Stars". It looks like another winner. She, like Elizabeth Olson, Jennifer Lawrence, etc has gotten me excited about the next generation of actresses.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:43 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
She, like Elizabeth Olson, Jennifer Lawrence, etc has gotten me excited about the next generation of actresses.

and Felicity Jones, Zoe Kazan, Saoirse Ronan, Mia Wasikowska, Brie Larson, Emma Watson, Rooney Mara, Elle Fanning, Chloe Grace Moretz and probably quite a few others I've forgotten.  Also a couple that haven't quite matured into their own style yet but I predict big things from them in the future:  Lily Collins, Taissa Farmiga.  

There is a plethora of fine young actresses in Hollywood right now, now we just need more good movie roles for them.  Only 1 major film during the summer of 2013 featured an actress in the lead role (The Heat). Everything else was wall to wall testosterone.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
She, like Elizabeth Olson, Jennifer Lawrence, etc has gotten me excited about the next generation of actresses.

and Felicity Jones, Zoe Kazan, Saoirse Ronan, Mia Wasikowska, Brie Larson, Emma Watson, Rooney Mara, Elle Fanning, Chloe Grace Moretz and probably quite a few others I've forgotten.  Also a couple that haven't quite matured into their own style yet but I predict big things from them in the future:  Lily Collins, Taissa Farmiga.  

There is a plethora of fine young actresses in Hollywood right now, now we just need more good movie roles for them.  Only 1 major film during the summer of 2013 featured an actress in the lead role (The Heat). Everything else was wall to wall testosterone.

And The Heat was pretty much the buddy action/comedy flick right down to the straight-laced cop paired with the misfit, but with women in the roles instead of men. For the record, I liked it - Melissa McCarthy was damn funny...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 pm

I just find it loathesome how few decent roles their are for women in major studio films, aside from the ever-present girlfriend of the hero who gets kidnapped by the villain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Not that anyone gives a shit but here are my predictions for the Oscars.

Best Picture - 12 Years A Slave - it's basically a 3-way tie right now (along with Gravity and American Hustle) but I don't think the Academy can resist voting for a straight-dramatic period historical film. Much more likely than voting for either a Comedy/Drama or a Sci-Fi picture.

Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf Of Wall Street) *most people are predicting McConaughey, but I think Leo will finally take it home this year.

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) - I think this one is a lock, only Amy Adams gives serious competition in this category.

Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle) This one is a toss-up between Jennifer and Lupito Nyung from 12 Years a Slave but right now Jennifer is very popular with the Academy so I see her winning out in the end. The only thing to hurt Jennifer's chances is already winning best actress last year.

Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron Gravity was a such a groundbreaking technical achievement there is no way he won't take home the Oscar, even if the film wins no other non-technical awards. This is the same exact situation as Life Of Pi in 2012.

Best Original Screenplay - Her

Best Adapted Screenplay - American Hustle

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

The Oscars were even more predictable than I thought they would be this year. I should have just stuck with my original "safe picks" instead of going wildcard.

I'm happy for Alfonso Cuaron and the 7 awards (mostly technical) that Gravity received. I'm also happy for Cate Blanchett, she deserves praise for putting in a brilliant performance in an honestly mediocre film.

I knew the "genre films" would end up getting shafted, Gravity would never win best picture because it's basically a sci-fi film, American Hustle wouldn't win because it's too funny, dramedies confuse the Academy usually. If there's an historical period film in the mix (12 Years A Slave) then the rest of the nominees could just safely stay home.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Very true, I remember last year, I thought 'Lincoln' would take it, despite the fact I felt 'Argo' was a better film and I am glad I was wrong.

Never understood how a movie can win best picture and not the director, but this has happened more then once
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm

manny wrote:

Never understood how a movie can win best picture and not the director, but this has happened more then once

Because it is 2 different sets of voters.

The oscar for Best Director is chosen by the Directing Branch of the Academy.

The oscar for Best Picture is chosen by the entire Academy.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:

Because it is 2 different sets of voters.

The oscar for Best Director is chosen by the Directing Branch of the Academy.

The oscar for Best Picture is chosen by the entire Academy.  

Ahhhh that makes sense, so that explains why this has happened a few times thru out its history.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:46 pm

My Mother-In-Law is an academy voter and because she's a director/editor/writer/producer for Imax she gets all the movies for review. I know she had a tough time watching Gravity because the ISS gets destroyed in it and she filmed several Imax movies up there. I am not sure what she voted for this year and the Academy has really cracked down on leaked screeners. In the past, she would send us her screeners and we could watch every nominated movie. I guess no more watching movies with "For Your Consideration" popping up constantly on the screen.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
My Mother-In-Law is an academy voter and because she's a director/editor/writer/producer for Imax she gets all the movies for review.  I know she had a tough time watching Gravity because the ISS gets destroyed in it and she filmed several Imax movies up there. I am not sure what she voted for this year and the Academy has really cracked down on leaked screeners.  In the past, she would send us her screeners and we could watch every nominated movie.  I guess no more watching movies with "For Your Consideration" popping up constantly on the screen.  

Damn, man. You have a badass for a MIL. What's her body of work?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 4:48 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
My Mother-In-Law is an academy voter and because she's a director/editor/writer/producer for Imax she gets all the movies for review.  I know she had a tough time watching Gravity because the ISS gets destroyed in it and she filmed several Imax movies up there. I am not sure what she voted for this year and the Academy has really cracked down on leaked screeners.  In the past, she would send us her screeners and we could watch every nominated movie.  I guess no more watching movies with "For Your Consideration" popping up constantly on the screen.  

Here's her IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616880/
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's pretty cool!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's pretty cool!

She's a great lady and has led a very interesting life. She actually dated and lived with Bob Dylan in her youth. She likes to tell a story about burning all their furniture in their fireplace in their NYC apartment one winter. I guess Bob didn't have any money for heat?!

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's pretty cool!

She's a great lady

I wish I could say the same about my mother in law (he said half jokingly)
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 9:08 pm

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That's pretty cool!

She's a great lady

I wish I could say the same about my mother in law (he said half jokingly)

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Once again Leo got f**ked over.

Jared Leto!!!!! The worst thing about that movie by a long long way.

Go back to sleep for another year halfwits.  angry 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Once again Leo got f**ked over.

Jared Leto!!!!! The worst thing about that movie by a long long way.

Go back to sleep for another year halfwits.  angry 

The best performance by an actor I saw last year wasn't even nominated.  Miles Teller in The Spectacular Now.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 3:51 pm

[quote="Boris2008"]Once again Leo got f**ked over.

/quote]

Who gets F*****? Leo Getz, that's who!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2