Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in

Go down 
+10
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
jstate
kmorg
Addy
exact33
corplhicks
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Empty
PostSubject: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

It's December in Hollywood which means the almost countless number of awards shows are starting to announce their nominees for the annual awards season.  The Golden Globes are always a good indicator of potential Oscar contenders and they've just announced their nominees.  

As usual many of the nominated films have yet to get a wide theatrical release having only played in New York and Los Angeles so far (Gravity, Rush & Captain Phillips being the exceptions).  Many will get wider rollouts in January to increase buzz prior to the awards ceremonies taking place.  

The frontrunners are David O. Russell's rollicking 70s comedy "American Hustle" and the drama "12 Years A Slave" both receiving 7 nominations.

Golden Globe Nominees (major categories)

FILM

Best Motion Picture - Drama
12 Years A Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
American Hustle
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
The Wolf Of Wall Street

Best Director
Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity
Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen, 12 Years A Slave
Alexander Payne, Nebraska
David O. Russell, American Hustle

Best Actor in a Drama
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years A Slave
Idris Elba, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom
Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
Robert Redford, All Is Lost

Best Actress in a Drama
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Judi Dench, Philomena
Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks
Kate Winslet, Labor Day

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical
Christian Bale, American Hustle
Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf Of Wall Street
Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis
Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical
Amy Adams, American Hustle
Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said
Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
Daniel Bruhl, Rush
Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
Michael Fassbender , 12 Years A Slave
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years A Slave
Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska

Best Screenplay
Spike Jonze, Her
Bob Nelson, Nebraska
Jeff Pope and Steve Coogan, Philomena
John Ridley, 12 Years A Slave
David O. Russell and Eric Singer, American Hustle

Best Foreign Language Film
Blue Is The Warmest Color
The Great Beauty
The Hunt
The Past
The Wind Rises

Best Animated Feature Film
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Frozen

TELEVISION

Best TV Drama
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
The Good Wife
Masters Of Sex
House Of Cards

Best TV Comedy
The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Girls
Modern Family
Parks And Recreation

Best TV Miniseries or Movie
American Horror Story: Coven
Behind The Candelabra
Dancing On The Edge
Top Of The Lake
White Queen

Best Actor in a TV Drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Michael Sheen, Masters Of Sex
Kevin Spacey, House Of Cards
James Spader, The Blacklist

Best Actress in a TV Drama
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Taylor Schilling, Orange Is The New Black
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House Of Cards

Best Actor in a TV Comedy
Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Don Cheadle, House Of Lies
Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Best Actress in a TV Comedy
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Lena Dunham, Girls
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks And Recreation

Best Actor in a TV Miniseries or Movie
Matt Damon, Behind The Candelabra
Michael Douglas, Behind The Candelabra
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing On The Edge
Idris Elba, Luther
Al Pacino, Phil Spector

Best Actress in a TV Miniseries or Movie
Helena Bonham Carter, Burton And Taylor
Rebecca Ferguson, White Queen
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven
Helen Mirren, Phil Spector
Elisabeth Moss, Top Of The Lake

Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture
Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing On The Edge
Janet McTeer, White Queen
Hayden Panettiere, Nashville
Monica Potter, Parenthood
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Best Supporting Actor in a TV Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture
Josh Charles, The Good Wife
Rob Lowe, Behind The Candelabra
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Corey Stoll, House Of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

Last edited by S.D. on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am

Aaaaand as usual, I am totally unfamiliar with 99 percent of the nominees in every category. Laughing very hard

Seriously, the only thing on that entire list that I've seen is "American Horror Story: Coven"....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Even more than usual the nominees are all year-end titles, no major nominations for any films that came out prior to September. Of those titles only Rush, Gravity and Captain Phillips have had any kind of major release thus far and Gravity is the only title to crossover into being both a blockbuster and a critics darling. Most of these titles won't play outside the major cities until January.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 am

Haven't seen a single film from the nominees.

My reaction to this list?  Sleep 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 1:43 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

That's the reaction I have during the summer when the endless parade of CGI crapfests targeted at males age 14-25 are clogging up the cinemas.  I always look forward to the fall when adults are safe to go back to the movie theater.

Very Happy

I've actually only seen 2 films from the nominations thus far; Gravity and Blue Jasmine. I'm going tomorrow to see American Hustle which is my most-anticipated film of 2013. Also really looking forward to seeing Her and Philomena.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

S.D. wrote:

That's the reaction I have during the summer when the endless parade of CGI crapfests targeted at males age 14-25 are clogging up the cinemas.  I always look forward to the fall when adults are safe to go back to the movie theater.

Very Happy

Hey, those films are the best!

Ok, maybe not.

lol! 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 4:36 pm

S.D. wrote:

Very Happy

I've actually only seen 2 films from the nominations thus far; Gravity and Blue Jasmine.  I'm going tomorrow to see American Hustle which is my most-anticipated film of 2013.  Also really looking forward to seeing Her and Philomena.  

American Hustle is getting phenom reviews.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I dont pay much attention to the movies, let alone the awards shows. I guess its fun for people who do but I dont get all wrapped up in it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 am

exact33 wrote:

I dont pay much attention to the movies, let alone the awards shows. I guess its fun for people who do but I dont get all wrapped up in it.

Same with me. I used to work with a lady that had parties to watch the shows to. I just didn't get it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 pm

The actual awards show itself isn't the draw for me (though I do watch them), I just like seeing filmmakers get recognition when they do great work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeMon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:

American Hustle is getting phenom reviews.

Saw it yesterday and it 100% earns those rave reviews. David O. Russell directed my favorite film of 2012 (Silver Linings Playbook) and now my favorite movie of 2013.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 pm

The Golden Globes was a drunken mess again this year, precisely the reason it is so fun to watch! Going by the winners I would say we have a 3-way oscar race for Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave, Gravity & American Hustle.

Winners (for the movie portion of the awards show):

Best Motion Picture (drama) - 12 Years A Slave
Best Motion Picture (comedy or musical) - American Hustle
Best Actor (drama) - Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyer's Club
Best Actor (comedy) - Leonardo DiCaprio for The Wolf Of Wall Street
Best Actress (drama) - Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
Best Actress (comedy) - Amy Adams for American Hustle
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
Best Screenplay - Spike Jonze for Her
Best Animated feature - Frozen
Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto for Dallas Buyer's Club
Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Best jokes of the night:

Tina Fey announcing Leonardo DiCaprio: "Let's give him a warm welcome like a supermodel's vagina."  

Alfonso Cuaron - Mentioning his problems with the English language during filming of Gravity, he had to explain to Sandra Bullock that he did not say "I'm going to give you herpes." but rather he said "I'm going to give you earpiece."
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 am

of all those movies listed the only one I saw was Frozen

Wife's the movie buff not me
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm

The 2014 Academy Award nominations were announced this morning. American Hustle and Gravity lead the pack with 10 nominations a piece.

Full list (including trailers) can be viewed here: http://oscar.go.com/nominees/?cid=AMPAS_nominees

Here are the nominees for the major categories:

Best Picture

American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years A Slave
The Wolf Of Wall Street

Best Actor

Christian Bale - American Hustle
Bruce Dern - Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofer - 12 Years A Slave
Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress

Amy Adams - American Hustle
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Judi Dench - Philomena
Meryl Streep - August: Osage County

Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
Steve McQueen - 12 Years A Slave
David O. Russell - American Hustle
Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street
Alexander Payne - Nebraska

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Sandra Bullock is nominated for an Oscar? Wow

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 pm

I'd actually like to see a couple of those films ("Gravity," "American Hustle," and "The Wolf of Wall Street"), but won't get to 'em till they come to DVD.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:38 pm

kmorg wrote:
Sandra Bullock is nominated for an Oscar? Wow

Sandra Bullock already has an Oscar, she won Best Actress for The Blind Side in 2009.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am

If June Squibb doesn't win for Nebraska then the Academy is dead to me. Well deader than it already is anyhow. I'm actually rooting for a Nebraska sweep. Funny thing is of the three voting members I know all hated it and weren't going to listen to my pleadings for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

jstate wrote:
If June Squibb doesn't win for Nebraska then the Academy is dead to me.  Well deader than it already is anyhow.  I'm actually rooting for a Nebraska sweep.  Funny thing is of the three voting members I know all hated it and weren't going to listen to my pleadings for it.

Of course the acting nominations are chosen by the acting branch of the Academy, so if you wanted to be mad at someone it would be that particular branch, not the entire Academy.  

I could be angry about several films that were snubbed, all from earlier in the year since the Academy seems to ignore any films that were released prior to September.  But it's just the way it is.

Miles Teller deserved a nomination for this breakout role in The Spectacular Now and the film deserved a best screenplay nomination, Amy Acker deserved a nomination for her brilliant performance in Much Ado About Nothing and there are many other examples.

I think Bruce Dern has a really good chance to win for Nebraska.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 am

Okay, I'll admit most of my residual "anger" at the Academy Awards stems from the fact for the last few years their damned show has impeded my traditional Sunday evening trip into Hollywood. I do so enjoy my Sundays at the cathedral that is Amoeba. Dang limos, red carpets, and road closures.

A Bruce Dern win would be cool. I'm all for a late career revival for him.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 5:09 pm

I thought his was pretty funny/interesting...

http://www.11points.com/Movies/11_Movies_Youll_Never_Believe_Got_Oscar_Nominations

Who would have guessed that 'Norbit' was an Oscar Nominated Film?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 am

I've seen 34 movies from 2013, but I saw my first movie with Golden Globe or Oscar ties to it...I was going to see "Blue Jasmine" at an art theater this fall after seeing the movie, "Before Midnight" at that same theater. Needless to say that never happened. I rented it last night, and I was absolutely blown away by Cate Blanchett's performance. Sally Hawkins was outstanding as was Andrew "Dice" Clay. Considering the rubbish Andrew "Dice" Clay has been a part of on screen, it's hard to believe that someone like Woody Allen would approach the "Dice" man for one of his films. It will be interesting to see if Andrew can follow this up with another supporting role, as I don't think he could carry a lead role, but who knows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 am

When it comes to Blue Jasmine I think Blanchett delivered one of the most impressive performances of the year and I agree about Hawkins and Clay but overall I think the film itself is just "okay". It never quite clicked for me but Blanchett made it worthwhile.

I still need to see Nebraska and Philomena prior to the Oscars, hopefully I'll get a chance.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 11:58 am

S.D. wrote:
When it comes to Blue Jasmine I think Blanchett delivered one of the most impressive performances of the year and I agree about Hawkins and Clay but overall I think the film itself is just "okay".  It never quite clicked for me but Blanchett made it worthwhile.  

I still need to see Nebraska and Philomena prior to the Oscars, hopefully I'll get a chance.  

Did "Blue Jasmine" not click with you because it was so open ending and there was really no finality when it came to the Jasmine character? Do you tend to not like movies that shift back and forth between the past and present? Sometimes, I've found myself not being able to enjoy a movie, where the focus was on someone dealing with with severe anxiety and panic attacks. For the most part, the movie going public takes satisfaction in a storyline where there is character redemption, I.E Silver Linings Playbook. Then you have movies like "Black Swan" or "Revolutionary Road", which had characters who not only were dealing with psychosis or mental breakdowns, but also utter dysfunction within the confines of the relationships of the characters involved. I tend to not like movies like the aforementioned, where the finality is so dark, even though I may be able to appreciate the performances.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in   ..and the winner is...  Academy Award nominations are in Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

..and the winner is... Academy Award nominations are in
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next