Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)

Go down 
+11
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Rex
ensiferum2k
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Chairman_Smith
ultmetal
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 am

troublezone wrote:
All the Priest remasters sound fantastic just like the Queensryche and Ozzy one's do. I think you definately have a defective disc.

Depends which Ozzy discs you are talking about. The most recent 'remasters' are actually re-recordings and for that reason, they suck. Removing the original bass and drum tracks was a stupid move IMO.

Quote :
In one of the most shameless
rip-offs in rock 'n roll, when Sharon Osbourne had this CD remixed and remastered
in 2002, she also had the drum and bass tracks completely re-recorded by Robert
Trujillo (bass) and Mike Bordin (drums). Although Bob Daisley & Lee Kerslake
performed on the original recording, and co-wrote much of Ozzy's first 2 albums,
they claimed that they never received any royalties, and filed a lawsuit against
Ozzy to get paid. In reaction to the lawsuit, their tracks were deleted.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 am

Now that is just a stupid idea, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:17 am

Required Fields wrote:
Now that is just a stupid idea, IMO.

That re-recording thing was Sharon O's way of telling Daisley and Kerslake "Don't f**k with me!"
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17063

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 pm

I think Ozzy's voice was quite good and suited the music perfectly up until recently.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 9:22 pm

I think it sounds better than the original and Mike and Robert are great players so for me it's all good unless they tamper with Randy's playing.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Since I have recently become a completist, I am buying both or all versions I can find of particular groups/albums etc. It will take some time because I am poor Sad
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 am

the sabbath remasters are very good. i have no problem with the megadeth remasters as i never have heard the originals
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:30 am

I too am far more familiar with the Megadeth remasters than the originals. Indeed, I got in to Megadeth just when all the remasters were released about 3 years ago. I've heard a lot of the original versions, and I can honestly say in most cases I prefer the remasters.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 am

Smindas wrote:
I too am far more familiar with the Megadeth remasters than the originals. Indeed, I got in to Megadeth just when all the remasters were released about 3 years ago. I've heard a lot of the original versions, and I can honestly say in most cases I prefer the remasters.

Thing is, they aren't just 'remasters', they are remixes and in some cases re-recordings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 am

Re-ruinings if you will. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:48 am

2 bands that I think could benefit from a re-mastering are early Anthrax & Testament. I have both bands loaded into my mp3 player with other metal and there is such a noticible difference and drop-off when "Medusa" or "Trial by Fire" comes on. It's not a big deal when I listen to a whole album in work or at home, but on an mp3 player with other songs, they sound terrible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
2 bands that I think could benefit from a re-mastering are early Anthrax & Testament. I have both bands loaded into my mp3 player with other metal and there is such a noticible difference and drop-off when "Medusa" or "Trial by Fire" comes on. It's not a big deal when I listen to a whole album in work or at home, but on an mp3 player with other songs, they sound terrible.

Yes. Spreading The Disease sounds like they produced the CD from an acetate copy. Smile Horrible.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:07 am

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes. Spreading The Disease sounds like they produced the CD from an acetate copy. :) Horrible.

Much of the Anthrax early years was remastered and released on the Anthralogy: The Best Of Anthrax

DISC ONE
1. "A.I.R." (5:45)
2. "Lone Justice" (04:36)
3. "Madhouse" (4:17)
4. "The Enemy" (5:24 )
5. "Armed And Dangerous" (5:43)
6. "Medusa" (4:44 )
7. "Gung-Ho" (4:37)
8. "Among The Living" (5:15)
9. "Caught In A Mosh" (4:58)
10. "I Am The Law" (5:53)
11. "Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)" (4:54)
12. "A Skeleton In The Closet" (05:30)
13. "Indians" (5:40)
14. "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" (5:33)
15. "I'm The Man" (3:02)

DISC TWO
1. "Be All, End All" (6:23)
2. "Make Me Laugh" (5:41)
3. "Antisocial" (4:26)
4. "Who Cares Wins" (7:38)
5. "Now It's Dark" (5:36)
6. "Finale" (5:51)
7. "Time" (6:52)
8. "Keep In The Family" (7:08)
9. "In My World " (6:26)
10. "Intro To Reality" (3:24)
11. "Belly Of The Beast" (4:47)
12. "Got The Time" (2:44)
13. "Discharge" (4:12)
14. "Bring The Noise" (3:31)
15. "Antisocial" [French Version] (4:26)
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Thing is, they aren't just 'remasters', they are remixes and in some cases re-recordings.

That's fair, they are remixes as there are some notable differences. However, I don't find them as detrimental to the music. Also, I think the only re-recordings came out of necessity (missing vocal tracks on RIP, "missing" Lee Ving parts on MD.45).

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm

How about those added keyboards on Into the Lungs of Hell? They seem 'added' to me. If they were in the originals, they sure weren't audible.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:00 pm

You always bring that one up. Unfortunately, I don't have the "remaster" of SFSGSW, hilariously it's one of the few 'deth albums I have the original of, so I can't really vouch for added thing. But I'm pretty sure that in the case of the other albums, there's nothing like that.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Well, I have a couple of the remasters coming, so we shall see.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:18 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Well, I have a couple of the remasters coming, so we shall see.

ult

The 2 you have coming don't have any obvious changes that I heard, unlike the first 4 album reissues.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 pm

I actually like the Megadeth reissue of "Killing Is My Business" save for the annoying inclusion of "These Boots". They should have just left that mess off.

Another, older, reissue I don't care for as much as the original is Barren Cross' Rock for the King. MUCH prefer the original mix.

Same thing with Stryper Yellow & Black Attack. The raw, raunchy mix of the original EP is far better than the streamlined reissue IMO.

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:32 pm

I had the original Rock for the King on cassette years ago, and preferred it. I couldn't find the original on CD so had to get the remixed one.

I have never heard the original Yellow & Black, but would love to one day. I love how raw even the reissued version sounds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Geez.. the remaster for Killing Is My Business actually kills me. I know everyone says about early Megadeth "aah, terrible production, they shouldn't have spent all their money on drugs" I disagree, I love it the way it is, I adore the raw quality and luckily have the original.
But when I listened to my friends remaster, alas it brought a vengeful tear of blood to my eye. And what did that bastard Lee Hazlewood make Dave do to These Boots???? I don't care if he's dead, he's a bastard. These Boots, to me, is one of the best metal arrangements there is and that asshole Hazlewood made them butcher it.
If old Lee isn't dead, then by God I'll kill him myself the selfish bastard!angry
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 am

Smindas wrote:
You always bring that one up. Unfortunately, I don't have the "remaster" of SFSGSW, hilariously it's one of the few 'deth albums I have the original of, so I can't really vouch for added thing. But I'm pretty sure that in the case of the other albums, there's nothing like that.

Here is a quote from another board having a similar discussion:

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:

Megadeth's remaster of So Far, So Good, was a real letdown. Especially with the drums. I loved the original echo the snare gave off in so many songs, and Dave all but killed it when he remastered it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 7:43 am

ultmetal wrote:
I actually like the Megadeth reissue of "Killing Is My Business" save for the annoying inclusion of "These Boots". They should have just left that mess off.

Another, older, reissue I don't care for as much as the original is Barren Cross' Rock for the King. MUCH prefer the original mix.

Same thing with Stryper Yellow & Black Attack. The raw, raunchy mix of the original EP is far better than the streamlined reissue IMO.
I can't stand the reissue. The small guitar sound doesn't go with the BIG kick drum of the remaster. I prefer the original in all it's rawness.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 7:53 am

ultmetal wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Here is a quote from another board having a similar discussion:

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:

Megadeth's remaster of So Far, So Good, was a real letdown. Especially with the drums. I loved the original echo the snare gave off in so many songs, and Dave all but killed it when he remastered it.

Hmm, maybe the SFSGSW master is particularly weak then? I haven't heard the same things about other albums, but then again I haven't read many reviews of the remasters.

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 am

The SFSGSW remaster is the only one of the Megadeth remasters that I prefer over the original. The inclusion of the little original intro to ..Darkest Hour really helps that song, methinks. The original mix was very thin, the remix is thick and full.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)   Reissued & Remastered (How about no!) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reissued & Remastered (How about no!)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next