Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TOMMY BOLIN

Go down 
+6
chewie
journeyman
James B.
bass63
manny
brokentulsa
10 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:08 am

Any fans of Tommy Bolin....this guy has an incrediable amount of work with Deep Purple, the James Gang and as a solo artist....

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 8:06 am

I am huge fan of Tommy Bolin, his 'Teaser' album is an absolute classic as his work was with Billy Cobham. He even inspired Jeff Beck to pursue a different direction after he heard his work with Cobham, not many artist can make that claim
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Huge huge Bolin fan. I was just yesterday listening to Deep Purple This Time Around..Live In Japan & Live in  Long Beach 1976. Incrediable live albums that show Tommy's talent.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I like the Bolin, Hughes. and Coverdale line up just as much as the other versions of Deep Purple. Gonna have to dig out that "teaser" lp, been awhile since I've put some ears to it. IMHDO, the James Gang stuff is spotty.

Thanks for the clips

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Tommy is so cool. Loved his work on Come Taste The Band. He was the perfect replacement for Ritchie since they were miles apart in style. I played that Flying Fingers track a couple of times. I have to get it. It isn't on Private Parts or Teaser, so where is it from. I thought he only had two solo albums. Anyway, Tommy is one great guitarist who pasted way too soon. His musical sense was so magical. He can cruise through so many styles and bring them together in a smooth seamless blend. I only have the 3 albums I've mentioned and need to get some more. Big Bolin fan.

What are the recommendations for more Bolin.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm

He sounded killer on that Billy Cobham album. That's for sure!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 pm

I dig Bolin a lot and have almost everything he's ever done be it with DP, Moxy, solo, Energy, Zephyr, The James Gang, etc but my fave album featuring Tommy is Alphonse Mouzon-Mind Transplant. Chewie if you like Spectrum check out Lovechild: The Spectrum Sessions as well.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 am

akeldama wrote:
I dig Bolin a lot and have almost everything he's ever done be it with DP, Moxy, solo, Energy, Zephyr, The James Gang, etc but my fave album featuring Tommy is Alphonse Mouzon-Mind Transplant. Chewie if you like Spectrum check out Lovechild: The Spectrum Sessions as well.
I forgot that he was on that Mouzon album! That's a killer one, too!

Ooooooooh............ Spectrum Sessions?!?!?!?! Gotta check that out.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 1:51 pm

akeldama wrote:
All great choices. Also check out the Whips & Roses albums. I & II.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 3:50 pm

journeyman wrote:
Tommy is so cool. Loved his work on Come Taste The Band. He was the perfect replacement for Ritchie since they were miles apart in style. I played that Flying Fingers track a couple of times. I have to get it. It isn't on Private Parts or Teaser, so where is it from. I thought he only had two solo albums. Anyway, Tommy is one great guitarist who pasted way too soon. His musical sense was so magical. He can cruise through so many styles and bring them together in a smooth seamless blend. I only have the 3 albums I've mentioned and need to get some more. Big Bolin fan.

What are the recommendations for more Bolin.
If you can find this ' The Ultimate...' a two disc box set that gives an excellent overview of his career.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 pm

bass63 wrote:
akeldama wrote:
All great choices. Also check out the Whips & Roses albums. I & II.
I got 'em but I haven't jammed them in a long time. I think I'll have to rectify that as soon as I'm out of my instrumental phase.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

From what I understand there is a DVD/movie documentary coming out about Deep Purple Mark IV that Glenn Hughes say's is very dark. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm an absolute Tommy Bolin fan I have every thing ever put out from Tommy. His Zephyr stuff, Energy, James Gang, Deep Purple, Moxy, The Good Rats, all TB Archive cds and everything after that. The latest is Whirlwind deluxe box set which includes 2 cds of rare material, 4 postcards, a guitar pic, a pin, & patch. Great collectors item if your a huge Tommy Bolin Fan.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 pm

bass63 wrote:
From what I understand there is a DVD/movie documentary coming out about Deep Purple Mark IV that Glenn Hughes say's is very dark. Should be interesting.
Highly recommended btw!
Get it now, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 am

I always seen one of his albums in a used record store when I was a really young teen, but didn't know what it sounded like, and so, I spent my money only on records I knew from hearing songs on FM radio.
This is a case where the internet helped me discover what a good guitar player and song writer he was. It also helped I started buying more Deep Purple albums, and he was on one of them. Smile

surprised nobody linked this one yet.
Post Toastee
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 3:02 pm

cruedevil71 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Highly recommended btw!
Are you talking the Phoenix Rising DVD?
Back to top Go down

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Mind Transplant and Spectrum are my favorites by a long shot. I prefer his fusion work.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am

bass63 wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Highly recommended btw!
Yes,is that the one you're talking about?
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 2:11 pm

cruedevil71 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
bass63 wrote:
Highly recommended btw!
Yes,is that the one you're talking about?
No, my son told about a new documentary that Glenn Hughes is financing....
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Very cool. there is not enough of Bolin stuff out there so this should be awesome.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm

mlotek wrote:
I always seen one of his albums in a used record store when I was a really young teen, but didn't know what it sounded like, and so, I spent my money only on records I knew from hearing songs on FM radio.
This is a case where the internet helped me discover what a good guitar player and song writer he was. It also helped I started buying more Deep Purple albums, and he was on one of them. Smile

surprised nobody linked this one yet.
Post Toastee
Never noticed how much the intro/main riff kinda sounds like "Cocaine".
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TOMMY BOLIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOMMY BOLIN   TOMMY BOLIN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOMMY BOLIN
Page 1 of 1