Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Could'a Should'a Would'a

Go down 
+10
jstate
mc666
Required Fields
MetallicSeminarian
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
jettafiend
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I can't speak for other records, but I can speak for my own recordings...

I hate the snare sound on Ultimatum Mechanics of Perilous Times. I love the songs, but not that snare drum.  I was there for ALL the recording, mixing and mastering of that album. I remember running a high fever and being in the engineer's booth tracking drums and begging the engineer to do something about that snare drum and all I heard was, "we'll fix it in the mix". During the mix it still sounded like it a piccolo snare drum tuned to high and the reply back was, "we'll fix it in mastering". Shoulda, woulda, coulda. It shoulda been fixed while we were recording it or we shoulda have gone with a digital snare instead. We never let that happen again.

Also a learning experience during the recording of that record. Having two guitarists do all the rhythm parts and thinking they will sound good panned on either side of the mix is not a good idea. No two guitarists will ever play the same riffs exactly the same way, especially when it's fast, downpicked riffs. Even panning them 80/20 into the mix won't give you that tight sound that heavy metal and thrash needs. That was the last time that happened as well. Every song, demo and album after that we had only ONE guitarist record all the rhythm tracks. That guitarist could double, triple, or whatever we needed, his own tracks to get the sound right. That's the main reason we couldn't hold onto a second guitarist because they always felt they were taking a back seat to Robert.
Huh, I never noticed the snare on Perilous Times and I have both versions of the album. What threw me was the snare sound on Lex Metalis, especially on the Creeping Death intro. It has a very weird tone. To me it sounds like the strand wires were loose giving the snare a more muddy sound instead of a very crisp "crack" when played.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 am

As terrible as St. Anger was, it would've at least marginally more tolerable without that awful trash-can drumming.

I love Ram It Down though, for me it's one of Priest's best and most underrated albums.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 11:35 am

Vexer6 wrote:
As terrible as St. Anger was, it would've at least marginally more tolerable without that awful trash-can drumming.

I love Ram It Down though, for me it's one of Priest's best and most underrated albums.
Honestly, St. Anger is easily one of the easiest albums to slag, of all time, because it is so bad. I don't think that a different drum sound would have saved it. I thought that the lyrics were way to Nirvanaesque and angsty and the guitar tone was just awful. It was like they were deliberately writing to pander to a specific audience and going "what would Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain write?".
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:28 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Honestly, St. Anger is easily one of the easiest albums to slag, of all time, because it is so bad. I don't think that a different drum sound would have saved it. I thought that the lyrics were way to Nirvanaesque and angsty and the guitar tone was just awful. It was like they were deliberately writing to pander to a specific audience and going "what would Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain write?".

St. Anger is the heavy metal equivalent of "Revolution 9" and a Michael Bay film.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

St. Anger is the heavy metal equivalent of "Revolution 9" and a Michael Bay film.
I love Michael Bay films, have no idea what Revolution 9 is though.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

I love Michael Bay films, have no idea what Revolution 9 is though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 pm

You know when you visit an amusement park they have those signs at rides that say something like "You must be at least 4 feet tall to ride"?

Michael Bay movies should have the same kind of signs at the theater entrance that reads "You must have an IQ under 90 to watch this film".

lol! 
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
You know when you visit an amusement park they have those signs at rides that say something like "You must be at least 4 feet tall to ride"?

Michael Bay movies should have the same kind of signs at the theater entrance that reads "You must have an IQ under 90 to watch this film".

lol! 
I couldn't have said it better. After seeing Pearl Harbor in the theaters, I told myself I would never put another dollar in that guy's pockets, and I've stayed the course with that promise. I remember liking "The Rock" back in the day, but that was when I was clueless about what were the essentials for a good movie. Now when I see that movie on various cable stations, I laugh...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm

I didn't even like The Rock, that was about the time that I could tell action movies were getting dumber and dumber.  I turned the movie off once they got to that sequence where they had to roll underneath the furnace (or whatever that machine was supposed to be) and time it so they wouldn't get burned alive.  That just screamed "video game" and I laughed and watched something else instead.

Man did this get off topic... Razz 
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 pm

S.D. wrote:

lol! 
So you're saying that anyone who likes a Bay film is automatically an idiot?angry 

For me the Twilight films are FAR FAR stupider.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 am

S.D. wrote:
I didn't even like The Rock, that was about the time that I could tell action movies were getting dumber and dumber.  I turned the movie off once they got to that sequence where they had to roll underneath the furnace (or whatever that machine was supposed to be) and time it so they wouldn't get burned alive.  That just screamed "video game" and I laughed and watched something else instead.

Man did this get off topic...  Razz 
What was that pic you posted in the Judas Priest thread, the one with the train? lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:02 am

Vexer6 wrote:
So you're saying that anyone who likes a Bay film is automatically an idiot?angry 
'twas a joke
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 am

S.D. wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
'twas a joke
I know, I kid!lol! 
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am

S.D. wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
'twas a joke
I don't know, I felt dumber coming out of the theater after watching "Pearl Harbor". If I had been a veteran of that war, I would have also felt insulted. Though I've never seen another one of his badly directed movies in the theater, I've tried to watch his crap when it came on T.V, and I literally felt that I was turning into an idiot. I'm not kidding, nor am I joking...

If there was a "Decline of Western Civilization" documentary for filmmakers, Michael Bay would be a part of it, and he would be playing the roll of the lead singer from Odin (the guy who did his interview via the hot tub).
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:18 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
'twas a joke
I don't know, I felt dumber coming out of the theater after watching "Pearl Harbor". If I had been a veteran of that war, I would have also felt insulted. Though I've never seen another one of his badly directed movies in the theater, I've tried to watch his crap when it came on T.V, and I literally felt that I was turning into an idiot. I'm not kidding, nor am I joking...

If there was a "Decline of Western Civilization" documentary for filmmakers, Michael Bay would be a part of it, and he would be playing the roll of the lead singer from Odin (the guy who did his interview via the hot tub).
Pearl Harbor is my least favorite Bay film, it was admittedly overlong and rather dull, but for me Titanic was much stupider, I felt myself losing brain cells watching that overrated piece of crap.

I think it's hilarious that people make such a big deal over Bay, I would highly recommend you check out Pain And Gain, it's completely different from Bay's other films(even his most vocal detractors liked it) and is pretty smart, and it's based on a very fascinating true story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could'a Should'a Would'a
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2