Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Could'a Should'a Would'a

Go down 
+10
jstate
mc666
Required Fields
MetallicSeminarian
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
jettafiend
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Could'a Should'a Would'a Empty
PostSubject: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I love my classic Christian metal, and I cut my teeth in the metal scene when most of the guys here were already very familiar with it. That being said I was listening to Bride's Dust Through a Fan which is one of my favorite tracks off of that album. The problem with that song is that I think that Troy Thompson's guitar tone needs a little more aggression in it to match Dale's delivery. Which prompted the thought, what albums/songs came so close to being fantastic but fell a hair short. Here are some of my random thoughts.

Then there is Seraiah. These guys had catchy songs and pretty good lyrics and the musicianship is top notch. What they lacked was a good dynamic vocalist.

There is The Brave. Great hard rock sound but I think that the band was a little too produced and lost the edge that they may have had. Here is the opening track to the first album.

And a track off of the second album that is a bit more raw and much better production.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Gonna have to revisit that Bride album again; I never thought of things from that angle.

Very much yes with your point on The Brave; I remember seeing the cover and thinking "HARD ROCK" and then sampling it thinking "WTF AOR." Too much sheen.

Not Christian bands, but two release I wish would be redone are Judas Priest's Ram it Down and Overkill's WFO. Both albums had really great songs marred by production mishaps. With Priest, it was the last-minute drum machines due to Holland's out. With WFO, it was DD's bass overtaking the other instruments. If they Travis could record actual drum parts over RID, and if WFO was remixed with DD lower in the mix, both albums would be just as good as those before them.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Gonna have to revisit that Bride album again; I never thought of things from that angle.

Very much yes with your point on The Brave; I remember seeing the cover and thinking "HARD ROCK" and then sampling it thinking "WTF AOR." Too much sheen.

Not Christian bands, but two release I wish would be redone are Judas Priest's Ram it Down and Overkill's WFO. Both albums had really great songs marred by production mishaps. With Priest, it was the last-minute drum machines due to Holland's out. With WFO, it was DD's bass overtaking the other instruments. If they Travis could record actual drum parts over RID, and if WFO was remixed with DD lower in the mix, both albums would be just as good as those before them.
I was not implying that only Christian bands should be used as examples in this thread, they just happen to be what I mostly listen to and am the most familiar with.

I am not familiar with that Overkill album but I know exactly what you mean on RID. I think that Scott Travis' drumming would have been icing on a fantastic cake with that album and added another level of depth to it overall.

Last edited by jettafiend on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:37 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I think that Scott Travis' drumming would have been icing on a fantastic cake with that album and added another level of depth to it overall.
Well said. Well, IMO they could also get rid of Johnny B Good but whatever. But yeah that album could've been as good as Defenders. It's amazing how a song can be written so well but then be ruined by synthesizing a main component.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Crimson Glory - Transcendence, absolutely abysmal drum machine..
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Crimson Glory - Transcendence, absolutely abysmal drum machine..
Crimson glory is one of those bands that I keep hearing about on here but have never actually heard.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:15 am

corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
I think that Scott Travis' drumming would have been icing on a fantastic cake with that album and added another level of depth to it overall.
Well said. Well, IMO they could also get rid of Johnny B Good but whatever. But yeah that album could've been as good as Defenders. It's amazing how a song can be written so well but then be ruined by synthesizing a main component.
Johnny B. Goode is so atrociously bad that it is hilarious. That song cracks me up every time I hear it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:27 am

Oh and why the hell have we not seen a remixed And Justice for All? The least they could do is bring Newsted up to a respectable level.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:41 am

corplhicks wrote:
Oh and why the hell have we not seen a remixed And Justice for All? The least they could do is bring Newsted up to a respectable level.
but that would imply that at some point he was actually a part of the band... I don't think that Lars and James are quite ready for that yet. Some Kind of Monster Pt. II with a remixed version of that album perhaps?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 am

They should not have used programmed drums on over 80% of Regency and Pakaderm Records releases.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 am

Fifth Angel's and Leatherwolf's debuts could've had a bit more pucnh in guitar tones. Speaking of those, Street Ready and II, alongside with Time Will Tell by FA, have one of the best guitar sound I've heard so far.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

corplhicks wrote:

Sorry, but great drumming won't help piss poor song writing.... Ram it Down makes Turbo seem like a masterpiece!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 am

James B. wrote:
They should not have used programmed drums on over 80% of Regency and Pakaderm Records releases.
Could'a Should'a Would'a 25679 

The Elefante brothers, while a great team in the studio, somehow managed to make a lot of bands sound like Night Ranger in the production department. They did great things for Petra but bands like Halo, Mastedon and The Brave ended up suffering from the over-production in the long run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 12:54 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Sorry, but great drumming won't help piss poor song writing.... Ram it Down makes Turbo seem like a masterpiece!
Agreed. Ram It Down showed Priest had sunk so low into "Knuckle-dragger metal" that they almost rivaled Manowar in the stupid department.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Agreed.  Ram It Down showed Priest had sunk so low into "Knuckle-dragger metal" that they almost rivaled Manowar in the stupid department.

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 5:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Agreed.  Ram It Down showed Priest had sunk so low into "Knuckle-dragger metal" that they almost rivaled Manowar in the stupid department.

Key word: ALMOST.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
There was a fan-made remix about 10 years ago with Jason's bass work higher in the mix.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Required Fields wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
There was a fan-made remix about 10 years ago with Jason's bass work higher in the mix.
That wasn't a remix. That was a bass player (a fan) recording himself playing along with the album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 pm

S.D. wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
That wasn't a remix.  That was a bass player (a fan) recording himself playing along with the album.  
Yep. He still improved it though. That's what I play when I want to hear that album.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 pm

mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
That wasn't a remix.  That was a bass player (a fan) recording himself playing along with the album.  
Yep. He still improved it though. That's what I play when I want to hear that album.
I've seen this; there's several guys doing it. I should give it a shot. Do they mess with Lars at all?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 am

As much as I love the album Kix's Blow My Fuse has the worst production. I'm not a fan of re-recordings but I'd be the first in line to buy a redo on that one.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 am

And Justice For All is perfect.

I can't really think of anything that I have ever felt this way about specifically...other than things like "If Planet Caravan were not on Paranoid, Paranoid would be a flawless album." Of course, most people disagree with that, as that song is for some reason universally loved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:31 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

I can't really think of anything that I have ever felt this way about specifically...other than things like "If Planet Caravan were not on Paranoid, Paranoid would be a flawless album." Of course, most people disagree with that, as that song is for some reason universally loved.
Because it's a great song and one of the few chances Iommi gets to show of his jazz guitar chops.  
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm

I can't speak for other records, but I can speak for my own recordings...

I hate the snare sound on Ultimatum Mechanics of Perilous Times. I love the songs, but not that snare drum. I was there for ALL the recording, mixing and mastering of that album. I remember running a high fever and being in the engineer's booth tracking drums and begging the engineer to do something about that snare drum and all I heard was, "we'll fix it in the mix". During the mix it still sounded like it a piccolo snare drum tuned to high and the reply back was, "we'll fix it in mastering". Shoulda, woulda, coulda. It shoulda been fixed while we were recording it or we shoulda have gone with a digital snare instead. We never let that happen again.

Also a learning experience during the recording of that record. Having two guitarists do all the rhythm parts and thinking they will sound good panned on either side of the mix is not a good idea. No two guitarists will ever play the same riffs exactly the same way, especially when it's fast, downpicked riffs. Even panning them 80/20 into the mix won't give you that tight sound that heavy metal and thrash needs. That was the last time that happened as well. Every song, demo and album after that we had only ONE guitarist record all the rhythm tracks. That guitarist could double, triple, or whatever we needed, his own tracks to get the sound right. That's the main reason we couldn't hold onto a second guitarist because they always felt they were taking a back seat to Robert.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Sadly, in some ways I have to agree with this statement. I'm guessing the fans must have seen through this to some extent even back in 1988, because the Priest show at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis that year was actually cancelled due to low ticket sales. We're talking 1988, when metal was at its peak!

I still love "Blood Red Skies" to this day, but the album hasn't aged very gracefully. I like some of the music on this album (minus the awful drum machine), like "Heavy Metal" and "I'm A Rocker", but the lyrics are just plain bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could'a Should'a Would'a   Could'a Should'a Would'a Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could'a Should'a Would'a
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next