Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner

Go down 
+13
Temple of Blood
SAHB Healer
mikeinfla
adrian
journeyman
bass63
corplhicks
chewie
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
metalinmyveins
manny
17 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Empty
PostSubject: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 am

In Yngwie's book 'Relentless' he claims that Joe Lynn Turner did not write any of the melodies and had no input besides a few lyrics. Listening to the 'Odyssey' CD I found this hard to believe, because if you compare this album to Yngwie's other solo material that featured other vocalist, it does not have that distinct feel that Joe Lynn Turner brought into Rainbow and his short lived stint in Deep Purple.

I just have hard time believing Yngwie's claim on Joe Lynn Turner's lack of involvement. Joe Lynn Turner has claimed he helped Yngwie craft the music and the direction on the album, he also made it very clear Yngwie was the boss.

Any fans of this album and what do you think? Just based on listening to the album I intend to believe Joe Lynn Turner.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 am

I like Yngwie, but I would never put stock into anything the man says. This is a guy who has gone through probably what amounts to 50 different band members (and that might be a kind number). Why is that relevant? Because the guy makes other rock stars' egos in this genre looks tame in comparison. It's been stated before with Dave Mustaine, that you have what others say, what Dave say, and that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm willing to guess that in this case, you have what others say, what Yngwie says, and the truth is leaning heavily with what others are probably saying.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

There's no way JLT had no input on 'Odyssey'. Now, that's not to say that Yngwie didn't retain veto power, but to say JLT only wrote a few lyrics and no melodic input on the vocal melodies rings of bull$h!+ to my ears.

There's no way Yngwie hires JLT, who worked with his hero Blackmore in TWO different bands, and told him to sit down, shut up and only sing what I wrote.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:34 am

How dare you doubt the creative brilliance that is Yngwie!! You will pay for your insolence!!

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
There's no way JLT had no input on 'Odyssey'. Now, that's not to say that Yngwie didn't retain veto power, but to say JLT only wrote a few lyrics and no melodic input on the vocal melodies rings of bull$h!+ to my ears.

There's no way Yngwie hires JLT, who worked with his hero Blackmore in TWO different bands, and told him to sit down, shut up and only sing what I wrote.
This right here!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm sure Yngwie believes that 100 %. Any word on what Turner's reaction is to this ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Odyssey is really the only *solid* album with vocals that Malmsteen ever recorded, so I call bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
Odyssey is really the only *solid* album with vocals that Malmsteen ever recorded, so I call bullshit.
I like 'Trilogy' a little better, personally...but 'Odyssey' is not far behind it.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
How dare you doubt the creative brilliance that is Yngwie!! You will pay for your insolence!!

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!
Came here looking for this. Satisfied.

Seriously, Yngwie is a snot. His entire body of work, including Black Star, pisses me off, and everything he says pisses me off. In this case he's assuming that readers of his book are a throng of idiots. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of how a commercial record is put together knows he's just mouthing off. Shawn is right, this is bullshit.

Why did I forget Yngwie in the hated thread?
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Great album that has JLT influence written all over it.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:50 pm

bass63 wrote:
Great album that has JLT influence written all over it.
This.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Yngwie is my favorite guitarist and I've bought every album(with the exception of the latest.) That said it's definitely a bunch of bull. I think his car crash and coma shortly before the release of Odyssey did some brain damage because his side of the story on anything that happened around that time and earlier rarely goes along with what his former bandmates and ex girlfriend say. Or he could just be a really bad liar

But yeah Joe Lynn Turner was definitely involved with the writing on that album and was a big part in what made it great
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 am

Speaking of these two, my brother and I are in the "Heaven Tonight" video. It was shot in Knoxville, TN. I never did see myself in it but remember catching my bro for a split second. I think there were like 75 people showed up and they made it look like thousands.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 2:21 am

I like Yngwie's music generally, but his need to dominate the process has sometimes brought out mediocrity from some of the greatest vocalists in metal (Doogie White for one). This didn't happen thankfully on Odyssey and that's gotta be down to JLT.
Years ago I took the wife at the time to see Yngwie, and she without knowing anything about him could tell inside of an hour that he was an egomaniac to the point of self-parody. She thought he was a hilarious buffoon.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 am

Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner 83628 

The Rainbow and Deep Purple poll made me think of Yngwie, and how influenced he was by Deep Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore:

Worked with three vocalist who had worked with Blackmore: Graham Bonnett, Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White

Plays a white stratocaster like Blackmore, dresses all in black like Blackmore once did

and on his covers album: Inspiration, 5 out of the 10 tracks were covers of tunes Blackmore wrote in Deep Purple or Rainbow.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 pm

I think he was more of a Rainbow fan than a Deep Purple one.

That first Yngwie album is utterly brilliant and inspired scores of guitarists.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I think he was more of a Rainbow fan than a Deep Purple one.  

That first Yngwie album is utterly brilliant and inspired scores of guitarists.

Not according to his biography, but reality is he was more of a fan of Blackmore then either band, since he never mentions Tommy Bolin or Steve Morse in any interviews.

I agree with you 'Rising Force' is a brilliant album, wish he had stuck to instrumentals or had done more instrumental albums.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Had no clue that joe has worked with yngwie.

He is one of my all time favourite singers.

Will check odyssey for sure.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Well yeah, he was a fan of Blackmore and followed him around but he patterned his music and lyrics more closely to Blackmore's Rainbow style than his Deep Purple one. Especially the Dio years.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 pm

manny wrote:
Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner 83628 

Worked with three vocalist who had worked with Blackmore: Graham Bonnett, Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White

And Dio too!

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 6:29 pm

So on the metal show the other night Yngwie said he was more influenced by classical prog keyboard players than by guitarist...and he referred to Blackmore as a blues guitarist...
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 pm

S.D. wrote:

This forum needs a "like" button.
I like Yngwie, saw him live in 85 with AC/DC on the "fly on the wall" tour, but damn….that ego…..
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner   Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Lynn Turner
Page 1 of 1