Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio lives.

Go down 
+9
corplhicks
MoonChild
deathisgain
Boris2008
ultmetal
Wargod
MetalRob331
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Dio lives.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Ohhhh, messing with the sacred cows now. Though I agree with you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 3:42 pm

You know, no matter how great a current band is there is almost a 0% chance that I will choose them over another group that originated the sound.  

Example:

There must be a million doom/stoner bands out there, many of them very good...would I ever rank any of them over Black Sabbath?  Not a chance. Sabbath did it first and all the other bands are still basing large parts of their sound on what Sabbath did in 1970.  That makes Sabbath untouchable as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Weird when there's discussions which boil down to music as superior/inferior aural wallpaper VS music which is songwriting that moves a person or not...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:04 pm

If the music is better and connects to you more that's what you should go by. Just bcuz Sabbath did it first doesn't mean they're better. I've never liked comparing bands like a competition as I think all musicians are equal in their own sense.

When I say others are better, it's just my opinion that the bands I like regardless of who they are compared to, hit me harder than some others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm not talking about competition, what I am talking about is if an artist is an originator (like Black Sabbath) and bands are still copying their sound 40 years later...that makes them infinitely MORE IMPORTANT than any of the bands that followed. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept to understand.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:07 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
The other thing that RJD has is a shred of originality. Laughing very hard 

No wonder S.D calls you names.
So what you're saying is that singers have originality?  Laughing very hard Laughing very hard  I'm pretty sure that Diego didn't wake up one day and say "I wanna sound like Dio." That's his voice/tone.. Tons of people sound like Dio, that makes them unoriginal?  
Really, you think that's just they way he sings naturally and any Dio similarity is purely coincidental? If there are tons of people who just naturally sound like Dio, why were there not tons of singers who sound like Dio before Dio? Because they have copied his style

It kind of works like this

Brett Kaiser singing as Brett Kaiser

Brett Kaiser impersonating Elvis

Same guy but in one clip he sounds (a bit) like Elvis. In the other, he doesn't. Singers are clever like that Laughing very hard 

If you like this Diego guy, cool, so does eyesore, no probs. But don't go around and say that he's better than the originator or at least say it as an opinion rather than hiding behind technical mumbo jumbo about registers and such. If any of us cared about that I suppose that we would be House of Opera, we sure as shit wouldn't be listening to Ozzy, Mustaine or Hetfield!!

You say that you don't like comparing artist/bands but that's exactly what you did. angry 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 am

Some misconceptions I'd like to point out here:

a. A singer is not limited to one timbre. As Boris pointed out, various styles can be achieved through mimicry. Dio's voice is easily imitated by something called 'space of resonance,' which is a slight adjustment of the soft palate. It isn't something he was born with. He formed it, much like what EVH did with the guitar.

b. Dio's vocal range is D2-D6. This is a total of four octaves, not unlike Freddie Mercury and Rob Halford. Dio's range is a baritone set, however, which accounts for his learned timbre.

c. No singer covers merely one register. A register merely implies location of sung notes over an octave set. All singers have a low, middle, and high register. Looking at Dio's four-octave range, it's obvious he uses every available register. On Magica he suspends a lower tone, with Rainbow he was more middle, and with Sabbath and also live he constantly went with his higher voicings (good example: Mob Rules). So to say he has a narrow register is erroneous.

d. You can call it being unoriginal to copy someone else's vocal style, or you can call it inspired. Look at Eddie Vedder. Everyone and their dad started imitating his style after that first record came out, and you rarely if never heard before. Diego is surely copying Dio's style (see point a) and that's fine, he's both inspired and influenced by the godfather of metal (or is he the prince? I keep forgetting).

My opinion? I don't know enough about Diego to formulate one. Perhaps he is better than Dio, although any male with a range greater than four octaves should be getting more mainstream attention, because that's a rare gift. Does he deserve more respect than Dio? Obviously absolutely not. That's like saying the apostle Paul deserves more respect than Jesus Christ.

Here's a good question: what would Diego say?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

So what you're saying is that singers have originality?  Laughing very hard Laughing very hard  I'm pretty sure that Diego didn't wake up one day and say "I wanna sound like Dio." That's his voice/tone.. Tons of people sound like Dio, that makes them unoriginal?  
Really, you think that's just they way he sings naturally and any Dio similarity is purely coincidental? If there are tons of people who just naturally sound like Dio, why were there not tons of singers who sound like Dio before Dio? Because they have copied his style

Same guy but in one clip he sounds (a bit) like Elvis. In the other, he doesn't. Singers are clever like that Laughing very hard 

If you like this Diego guy, cool, so does eyesore, no probs. But don't go around and say that he's better than the originator or at least say it as an opinion rather than hiding behind technical mumbo jumbo about registers and such. If any of us cared about that I suppose that we would be House of Opera, we sure as shit wouldn't be listening to Ozzy, Mustaine or Hetfield!!

You say that you don't like comparing artist/bands but that's exactly what you did. angry 
I take it you didnt read my last post lol!  Laughing very hard 

We just have another case of "Dio did it first, therefore he's the best." Laughing very hard 

Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Good post
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Confused as to point of thread now tbh

Here's some red velvet pancakes

Dio lives.  - Page 2 Ihop-red-velvet-pancakes

Back to top Go down
evermoving
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 2:24 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Luckily, we don't have to wonder about that. Here's an excerpt from an interview Diego did in February for Focus on Metal:

Focus on Metal: ...probably the most impressive thing on this album has got to be your vocals.

Diego: Oh, man, thank you. Thanks a lot.

Focus on Metal: And the next thing I'll say will be... and this is, for me to say this is probably big, but the first thing I thought of when I heard your voice on these songs is Ronnie James Dio.

Diego: All right, yeah. *laughs* It's, you know, I'm very... it's a strange feeling, you know, because I love and respect so much Ronnie James, and I know this is a compliment, because it is, but sometimes... so many people told me that, you know, "you sound exactly like Dio" and stuff. It's, it's weird. because I know that I have the influence but some people get extreme, you know, "you ARE like a reincarnation of Dio!"... and I think that I must be born twice or three times to get his level so... *laughs*

Source: Episode 119 - Focus on Helker (the part in question comes in at about 13:40).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 3:30 pm

evermoving wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Luckily, we don't have to wonder about that. Here's an excerpt from an interview Diego did in February for Focus on Metal:

Focus on Metal: ...probably the most impressive thing on this album has got to be your vocals.

Diego: Oh, man, thank you. Thanks a lot.

Focus on Metal: And the next thing I'll say will be... and this is, for me to say this is probably big, but the first thing I thought of when I heard your voice on these songs is Ronnie James Dio.

Diego: All right, yeah. *laughs* It's, you know, I'm very... it's a strange feeling, you know, because I love and respect so much Ronnie James, and I know this is a compliment, because it is, but sometimes... so many people told me that, you know, "you sound exactly like Dio" and stuff. It's, it's weird. because I know that I have the influence but some people get extreme, you know, "you ARE like a reincarnation of Dio!"... and I think that I must be born twice or three times to get his level so... *laughs*

Source: Episode 119 - Focus on Helker (the part in question comes in at about 13:40).
Good find, says it all.

And OCI those cakes were delicious. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio lives.    Dio lives.  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio lives.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2