Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s

Go down 
+17
jstate
Citanul
corplhicks
Stender
brokentulsa
Sword Of The Heretic
Shawn Of Fire
Hadley
Required Fields
bass63
journeyman
Boris2008
candlemass
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
TheGreatDuck
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

candlemass wrote:
What the hell?! affraid 

Death Angel weren't immune from the 'Extreme' factor either!!

sick 
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Now, I don't think some of the bands mentioned here really belong here. While Stryper, Twisted Sister, Black N' Blue or Van Halen indeed softened their sound in the mid-late '80s, so did Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Ratt, Def Leppard (Pyromania to Hysteria) and even Bon Jovi. And hell, WASP if anything started to slowly lose the glam element over time. To me, all of these bands were already hair/glam metal before choosing to go down an even more commercial route.

Can't really say ALL bands went glam during that period. AC/DC, Iron Maiden or Motorhead were certainly never hair metal bands.

The same goes for grunge and nu metal later on.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Warrant
Slaughter
Skid Row
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Ok, I'm going to open a thread on bands that went grunge now. The first that come to mind are surely Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Stone Temple Pilots. Razz Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Whats wrong with the Testament and Death Angel ballads? Yeah, theyre ballads, but nobody said they had to be 100% thrash all the time. Besides, what about Metallica's ballads?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Yea, but look at that Testament vid, they were definitely going for that "pretty boy look", they were even posing! sick It just reeks of 80's glam ballads, plus they said the record co. pushed them into that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
Warrant
Slaughter
Skid Row

Those bands went the other way around.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 am

Maybe he's thinking of the non-glam bands with the same name. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 am

Malmsteen comes to my mind when it comes to one-man army cheesy glam

But hey, The Scorps fit into the trend excellently well
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 am

There are some loose interpretations of glam in this thread. Similarly, there are some loose interpretations of what earlier works by bands were not glam.

I don't think Europe's style changed by leaps and bounds, really.

I mean, so much of this was just the simple fact that the early 80s stuff was less watered down, by nature. By about 85/86, it was all just getting a lot more commercial. So Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Europe, et al., got poppier.

I mean, it's not the the early 80s stuff wasn't commercial. It's just that what was commerically successful happened to be a little harder edged. I'm pretty sure the first two Motley Crue records were pretty commercially successful.

And the Styx and Foreigner stuff. Their styles had definitely changed, as I checked those albums out on Spotify after reading this thread, looking for some good lost glam that I may be unaware of...The Styx is definitely not glam. Last ditch attempt at boring 80s pop success is more accurate. The Foreigner I could see more...but I still see it as just the natural evolution for a band like that. They started out as part of a then commercially viable genre and they were just trying to keep that going, by altering a little. But Pretty Boy Floyd that record was not, even with a former King Kobra vocalist.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 am

It's kinda like when people used to tell me that before Cowboys, Pantera was a glam band that sounded just like Poison. That was obviously not the case when I finally got around to hearing the 4 pre-Cowboys albums.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Maybe he's thinking of the non-glam bands with the same name. Very Happy

Ah-ha.

(my reaction, not the band Ah Ha).
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
There are some loose interpretations of glam in this thread. Similarly, there are some loose interpretations of what earlier works by bands were not glam.

I don't think Europe's style changed by leaps and bounds, really.

I mean, so much of this was just the simple fact that the early 80s stuff was less watered down, by nature. By about 85/86, it was all just getting a lot more commercial. So Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Europe, et al., got poppier.

I mean, it's not the the early 80s stuff wasn't commercial. It's just that what was commerically successful happened to be a little harder edged. I'm pretty sure the first two Motley Crue records were pretty commercially successful.

And the Styx and Foreigner stuff. Their styles had definitely changed, as I checked those albums out on Spotify after reading this thread, looking for some good lost glam that I may be unaware of...The Styx is definitely not glam. Last ditch attempt at boring 80s pop success is more accurate. The Foreigner I could see more...but I still see it as just the natural evolution for a band like that. They started out as part of a then commercially viable genre and they were just trying to keep that going, by altering a little. But Pretty Boy Floyd that record was not, even with a former King Kobra vocalist.

Europe cca. 1982-1983:
Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Europe_the_band_1983

Europe cca. 1986:
Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 EUROPE

Styx is definately glam here:

Also, that Foreigner album might have not sounded like a PBF album, but they did sound like, say, Damn Yankees, who were also a hair band, but didn't really sound much like PBF either.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s   Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that went glam in the '80s and early '90s
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2