Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?

Go down 
+21
candlemass
Alex Dee Rokket
Grimmo
manny
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
choosemetal
jstate
exact33
corplhicks
MoonChild
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Shawn Of Fire
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Best NEW album by OLD guard?
Black Sabbath - 13
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap22%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 22% [ 7 ]
Kiss - Monster
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap6%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Megadeth - Supercollider
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap9%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 3 ]
Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap16%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 5 ]
Anthrax - Worship Music
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap6%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Accept - Stalingrad
Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_lcap34%Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Vote_rcap
 34% [ 11 ]
Deep Purple - Now What?
 6% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Empty
PostSubject: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

I picked the top vote getters from the other poll and added a few I missed from before...

This is not a "style to style" comparison of albums, so don't vote that way.

This is a question of which band, after 30+ years in the game, put out the best album overall in terms of what you/we think they're capable of. Who really drove it home?

I listed the latest albums by some pretty big names...so which, in terms of quality and legacy, do you think is the best?

Mods, feel free to close the other poll....

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Since "The Final Frontier" isn't represented I went with "13".
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I went with van Halen, but was close to picking anthrax.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Went with Sabbath, but could have easily been Accept or Deep Purple
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 pm

I voted for Black Sabbath, although Deep Purple could almost be a tie.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Van Halen this time.

Given the ups and downs, mud-slinging and general douchy behavior of both Dave and the VH brothers, the fact that this album exists at all is a miracle. So what if most of it was re-hashed demos. It came out sounding like classic Van Halen and that's good enough for me.

I could have said the same thing about Anthrax too.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I went with Sabbath, I do think that the Anthrax record is great though. I have yet to hear the Deep Purple record, I'm really having problems thinking that a no Blackmore, no Lord Purple record can be great, but it is very well thought of by you guys.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Since Testament didn't make the cut. (posers Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? 19976) went with 'deth. Accept is killer also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I have yet to hear the Deep Purple    record, I'm really having problems thinking that a no Blackmore, no Lord Purple record can be great, but it is very well thought of by you guys.

Their previous album "Rapture Of The Deep" from 2005 featured this same lineup (Steve Morse on guitar and Don Airey on keyboards) and was a good record as well. Not up to the standards of Now What?! but still definitely worth checking out.

People tend to forget that Airey has been with the band since 2003 (when Lord retired from touring) and Morse has been the guitarist since 1995.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't know about anyone here, but I really liked Deep Purple's "Bananas" from 2002/3 or so.

The new Black Sabbath is really impressing me. "Loner" and "Dear Father" strike me as standouts at this point.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Accept - Stalingrad
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I need to get "Stalingrad" since "Blood of the Nations" was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Stalingrad is a kickass record, but I still think Blood of the Nations had a meaner bite to it, much like old-school Accept. I voted 13. Again, VH is a close second. And Overkill is a close third.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Went with Deep Purple but i could have easily gone with 13. Both are great albums.

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Using the criteria of best album based on what they were capable of I went with Kiss.  Monster blew my expectations away.  The Sabbath and VH albums I had high expectations for but sorta knew that both could/would still deliver the goods.  Haven't heard the new DP yet but all of those other albums are really strong too.  Proving the old guard STILL has it.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Accept -- Stalingrad is my favorite
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 pm

akeldama wrote:

I would have voted for that one too!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I would have voted for that one too!

+1
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm

I think I'll still stick with KISS. I'm still slightly limited on what I've heard from that list, but Monster is the one that I'm jamming to the most.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I voted Stalingrad.  I don't think it was quite as good as Blood of Nations but I definitely like it better than the other albums in this poll.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Accept pretty easily..
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 am

From this list... Sabbath. The last Accept wasn't as good as Blood of the Nations imo.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 4:45 am

Voted for Accept, even though I can't say I enjoy both new albums as much as others do. But considering all the rave reviews the guys recieve, it was rather easy vote.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 5:15 am

Van Halen, easily for me, loved the album.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 am

I voted for Anthrax's Worship Music - tough tussle between this and Sabbath.

I would've picked Overkill's latest album over these guys.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?   Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best NEW (latest) album by OLD guard?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next