Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spotify?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 am

Didn't want to derail the Megadeth thread any further, but was curious with things like Spotify how do the artist make money off of it?  I know there is a subscription involved but how are things like royalties handled?  The download system is screwing enough in it's accounting how does this work with streaming?
Back to top Go down

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Artists are paid royalties in Spotify, but it's a tiny amount ($.004 cents per song). Still better than making nothing from illegal downloads, but a song has to be played hundreds of times for the artist to receive the same amount of money as someone purchasing the song in iTunes.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm

It still sounds like a really awkward menstrual-related product.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 pm

What a bad deal for the artists.  Is it safe to assume the record (or parent) companies are invested in these sites for them to sign over rights for such a one-sided deal?  Can't imagine the accounting practices that go on with this.
Back to top Go down

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

jstate wrote:
What a bad deal for the artists.  Is it safe to assume the record (or parent) companies are invested in these sites for them to sign over rights for such a one-sided deal?  Can't imagine the accounting practices that go on with this.

The record labels get all their money. Spotify is still operating at a loss, so they aren't getting rich off this stuff either. If you want to see where all the money goes in the music business, look no further than the record labels.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 9:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
jstate wrote:

The record labels get all their money.  Spotify is still operating at a loss, so they aren't getting rich off this stuff either.  If you want to see where all the money goes in the music business, look no further than the record labels.

Yup.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 am

Interesting...

Quote :
Pink Floyd have released their entire back-catalogue on Spotify after saying they’d do so on once Wish You Were Here had been streamed one million times. The target figure was reached in four days. Spotify boss Ken Parks says: “It’s a great day for fans of prog rock, but it’s also a great day for younger fans who have yet to be really turned on to the magic of Floyd. That’s a lot of what this is about: bringing a new generation of fans to one of the biggest and most iconic bands in the world.”

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

That's pretty brave of PF to do considering I'm sure they sell a ton of catalogue titles.  Wonder what the balance sheet will look like - streaming venue vs. catalogue sales.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spotify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotify?   Spotify? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotify?
Page 1 of 1