Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and Worst of Van Halen...

Go down 
+15
DeathCult
TheGooch
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Tall Tyrion
Required Fields
Metal Misfit
the sentinel
stepcousin
journeyman
caniplaywithmadness?
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 7:02 pm

i have about eleven queen albums on vinyl or summat daft like that
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 12:37 pm

I've been spinning some Van Halen alot lately. I completely agree that they ceased to exist basically after DLR left. I'm not into Van Hagar at all, I stopped at my cassette copy of 5150 and have never bothered to get it on CD either. It's not all a vocal thing though, I don't like Hagar, but I think the music took a big dip during that era as well. "Right Now" ranks among my most hated songs. As for VH III, it didn't really interest me at all, Cherone should've never been in there at all. I bought it once around when it came out and sold it about a year afterwards, listened to it maybe twice.

Now, I have all of the Roth era albums, and man I love 'em. My favorites in order:

Fair Warning (Darkest & most intense album they did IMO, just GREAT), VH I, 1984, Women And Children First, VH II, Diver Down

Now, I don't necessairly hate Diver Down though. I still listen to it alot, but to me, it sounded rushed, and I think too many covers were thrown on it, although I do love what they did with the covers. I was expecting alot more after Fair Warning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 am

Being my all-time favorite band, I own all the Van Halen albums and have listened to each many times over. Like many other people, I prefer the David Lee Roth era to the Hagar or Cherone albums. They were more straight forward early heavy metal albums compared to their later works.

My favorite album would either be Van Halen or Van Halen II. Those albums are pure gold. I am partial to Balance, mainly because of the instrumental, Baluchitherium. It is probably the band's greatest show of talent besides Hot for Teacher, in my opinion.

As for my least favorite album, it would probably have to be Van Halen III. I think Gary is a great singer, and Eddie is, in my opinion, the greatest ever. You would think a great singer and great guitarist would work, but they didn't. I wish the album was better. Cherone doesn't deserve the bad rap people give him because of the album. There just wasn't any good chemistry there.

Last edited by xyz on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 pm

I love Queen, like Meatloaf and can't stand Van Hagar. I agree with the sentiment that Van Halen died when DLR left. The debut is classic!

Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 4:20 pm

For me, the Hagar stuff is pretty good, although I only own the first three he did. Like OU812 quite a bit - that one definitely gets the most play of the Van Hagar albums here. But the debut and Fair Warning are tops for me - great albums and ones I pull out quite often. 1984 (and DL's Pyromania and Hysteria) got me into the type of music I listen to now, at a time when all the copycat grunge bands were the rage, so it's a special one.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 6:25 pm

I wouldn't say that Van Halen died when Sammy joined, but darn close.
With Hagar, they were a good band. With Roth they were gods among men.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 pm

"JUMP!" is the worst song Van Halen has ever recorded sick
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 am

i confess i have no van halen albums but the songs i am familiar with are most excellenyt such as panama, jump, eruption, you really got me and aint talking about love
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:42 pm

I think both Haggar and Cerone get bad reps. They (Van Hagar haters) complain that Sammy ruined Van Halen but that is pure bullsh*t. First off DLR ruined Van Halen, after all he left them. Secondly Van Halen was Eddie's and Alex's band, not Haggar's. If they didn't want Haggar's input they didn't have to except it so Eddie and Alex ruined Van Halen, Haggar was just along for the ride. The way Van Haggar haters put it, you'd think the blame was solely on Haggar but let's face it one member does not a band make. Someone doesn't like the music or Haggar's voice there's nothing wrong with that, but give the man a break for crying out loud.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:39 pm

I use to HATE anything after 1984, but eventually, Hagar grew on me. It's all in the deep tracks. Those are usually the best. Still waiting on Van Halen III to grow on me. I might be waiting for a long time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Honestly, I think Sammy OWNS Dave as a singer(me being a Montrose fan
also might have something to do with it). Sorry folks, but that's just
how I feel. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean I don't have any love for older
VH, Women and Children First being my favorite Diamond Dave era VH
album.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 am

Sacrifice wrote:
Honestly, I think Sammy OWNS Dave as a singer

I agree wholeheartedly. Sammy is a better singer, better guitar player and in general, seems like an all around better guy. He's just not better for Van Halen, IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am

So much for the Van Halen tour....

Here's the worst of Van Halen. Eddie has serious issues he needs to take care of. My dog can play better than him on the song......

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=_0f2N5ae3wU
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 am

spectrefate wrote:
So much for the Van Halen tour....

Here's the worst of Van Halen. Eddie has serious issues he needs to take care of. My dog can play better than him on the song......

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=_0f2N5ae3wU

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. I'm glad I got to see them when I did. Sure, it wasn't 1978, but it was a damn fine show.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 10:00 am

Well, that was god-awful.

One of the comments under the video sez that according to TMZ, the rest of the VH tour is being cancelled... Did I miss something?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

One of the comments under the video sez that according to TMZ, the rest of the VH tour is being cancelled... Did I miss something?

TMZ is reporting that the band's camp is cancelling all remaining hotel rooms they had booked for their shows. That's all they know. Sounds like EVH needs to go bye-bye again. What a waste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am

Lot's of rumors as to why:

- Ed & Wolf arguing (weird...but with Val's book, I can see it)

- Ed falling off the wagon (again, related to Val's book)

- Ed & DLR having friction (more in relation to Ed's attitude than DLR's)
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:51 pm

It's not cancelled. They're starting the tour again March 11th.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst of Van Halen...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2