Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"

Go down 
+9
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Eyesore
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
James B.
SpectreFate
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Empty
PostSubject: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Sweet Jesus, YES!

Quote :
More than thirty years after the start of his career with Savatage, and successive projects/bands like Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Jon Oliva’s Pain, songwriter and performer Jon Oliva releases his new solo album, titled "Raise The Curtain."

On June 21st (USA: July 2nd) the new piece of work will be available as CD Digipak and 2-vinyl (gatefold, limited to 800 copies worldwide). The album will be released simply under the banner Oliva and you can expect a mixture of Jon Oliva’s early influences and the material he wrote and recorded throughout his whole artistic career. The track listing is:

01. Raise The Curtain
02. Soul Chaser
03. Ten Years
04. Father Time
05. I Know
06. Big Brother
07. Armageddon
08. Soldier
09. Stalker
10. The Witch
11. Can’t Get Away
12. The Truth (Bonus Track)

Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Oliva_zps9c096d43
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Dig those nuances from the past in the cover artwork

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Neat-O.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 1:56 pm

sweet!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm

James B. wrote:
Dig those nuances from the past in the cover artwork
Yup. Shitty, but with enough nostalgia to make it cool. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Very cool, I have Festival and Tage Majal and really enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Very cool, I have Festival and Tage Majal and really enjoy them.

This one is different. Its an actual Jon Oliva solo album, those are more band albums. I just hope this means this sounds more along the lines of Savatage cause his band stuff isn't filling that void for me.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Jon is the guiding hand behind those albums, much of which don't sound that far off of early 'tage to my ear.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Actually Criss is because he had so many tapes left over that were never used supposedly. I love Savatage but I'm more of a fan of Mountain King and on.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Sounds like it will truly be a solo album.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Sounds like it will truly be a solo album.

He can play all the instuments, can't comment on his leadwork though ?

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:51 pm

June 2 is going to be a good day.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:20 am

Yes, this will be a true solo album. JOP is basically Savatage today, but this is something different. My bet is a lot of Queen and Beatles influences.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 1:16 am

kmorg wrote:
Yes, this will be a true solo album. JOP is basically Savatage today, but this is something different. My bet is a lot of Queen and Beatles influences.
I'm not big on Queen or the Beatles, but this is quite different.

Excellent tune, though! headbanger
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 am

That is a great tune. And with a little rearrangeing, it could be a killer JOP tune as well. Very Happy

I just ordered this CD!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 am

Lil Savatage nuances here and there and a big time 70's vibe. Thumbs up !!!!!

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 12:58 pm

It will be out June 19th here. I preordered.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 2:37 pm

kmorg wrote:

Yep, but I think his songs have had those influences for years. But this seems like it might sound more like them.

Great tune.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 am

Anyone else grab this album today? It's pretty awesome. There are obviously some moments that are very much in the Savatage vein, but this thing really bleeds 70s progressive rock. Lots of keyboards and horns! But it's excellent.

Some people might take issue with the mellower tunes, because there a number of them, but overall I think it's a fantastic album. What surprised me most, is how many of these tunes are stylistically similar to Devin Townsend's music. Songs like "Soul Chaser" and "Big Brother," the latter of which is like the bastard child of Boston's "Foreplay" and Devin's "Vampira."

On a bittersweet note, the liner notes state that this album contains the last bits of music Criss Oliva ever wrote. There is no more. Shame. =(
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Hmmmm, i'm one a little dissapointed in how much mellower music is on it. Was listening to the first JOP album and kind of wish he'd done more like it, pretty much in Gutter Ballet style.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I really need to check this one out, I am a big fan of his work with Savatage.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Hmmmm, i'm one a little dissapointed in how much mellower music is on it. Was listening to the first JOP album and kind of wish he'd done more like it, pretty much in Gutter Ballet style.
Why bother doing a solo album then?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Oh, i'm not saying not too, more power to him. It's just not grabbing me.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I listened to it & liked it well enough that I ordered it thru Amazon.    headbanger Cool
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

http://www.metaltitans.com/jon-oliva-the-interview/

BTW, I love this album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"   Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oliva Announces New Album "Raise The Curtain"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next