Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anger Management and Slayer

Go down 
+18
SAHB Healer
Vexer6
ultmetal
mc666
James B.
journeyman
Boris2008
manny
A Handful of Wayne
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Hamer12
DevZor
Orion Crystal Ice
Wurthless
SpectreFate
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Judging from your other post in the 'Rock of Ages' thread, I'd suggest avoiding musicals, not Slayer.

f*ckin' lol 🤣. Remember, though...it's not musicals, it's just Rock of Ages...

Just to be on the safe side, I'd avoid ALL musicals in general.

I'm no doctor, but I like to play one on teh interwebs.

Are you a psychologist or a psychiatrist? just kidding
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Yea! You should get rid of all your thrash cds right away. PM me for my address. I'll get you right on track. The Psychiatrist is right! Razz

Really tho, when I was dating my last gf she pissed me off a lot. So I would drive home, radio blasting the heaviest stuff I listen to and it would actually help me get some of that anger out. Some people might handle it differently and take a bad situation and make it worse by being pumped up from listening to some aggressive music and making some real stupid decisions. I've seen that a lot. A friend of mine who mostly listens to rap asked me to give him some metal bands he could work out to because it helps him get in a mind set of rage I guess haha. Everyone handles this stuff differently. If you feel it makes you worse than maybe don't listen to it when your mad and see what happens.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:14 pm

I think S.D. has a good point here; the outcome is always a result of your purpose. If my purpose is to avoid hurting others as a result of my anger, then most likely the outcome will be positive. But if you just need to fuel the fire, the result will be negative. I don't like hurting people in any form, so my goal should always be to kill the heat.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

100% bullshit
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

I listened to a lot of really angry music at a time in my life when I was really, really angry and I don't really think that it was a release from that anger, but it did kind of provide me with a companion for my anger, something that told me that I wasn't alone in how I felt, in this way it may well have helped me to keep a lid on things (the booze & drugs helped too Embarassed )

I'm not a fan of anger management courses as they tend to be Cognitive behavioural or even Rational Emotive based (or as I lovingly call it, do as I say therapy Laughing ) they presume that the same techniques will work for everyone and all you need to do is adjust your thinking which I kind of think is bull as most people (particularly angry people) act on feelings, not thoughts. CBT can work well in the short term but if you are not addressing the root, which isn't anger, it never is, anger is a symptom, then the same problem will keep popping up time and time again.

If I was attempting to help someone who was trying to work through an issue that was making them unhappy, I really wouldn't start with a blanket ban on something that brought them joy, although you may find that your motivation for listening to that kind of music changes. That's pretty much what happened with me and the rare times that I seek out really angry music, it's more about nostalgia than anger.

I spent years studying psychology and psychotherapy and worked in that field for years and I've got to admit that I think that some of it is bull! But I got a really good therapist at the right time in my life, who didn't tell me what I could or couldn't do, or even diagnose me or try to put me in a neat box, she just listened to me and acted as a guide while I tried to make sense of the mess that was in my head, allowing me to find out why I was so angry all of the time and make the changes that I needed to make to come to some kind of peace with myself. I can understand why some people are down on it, but therapy really is the only reason that I'm still alive.

By the way, you could have just turned Rock of Ages off you know! That's what I did! Razz
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I've heard this talked about for a long time. I Understand the thought process, but I think it has more to do with the person and the motivation than the music. People use music to workout, relax, concentrate, etc.. Vietnam didn't end because of a song or two and kids didn't kill themselves because of a song. Music is cool, but it doesn't changes things like some would like to believe. Music can of coarse intensify a "feeling", but again I think it depends on the persons particular situation. Don't you think industry would find a way to use the power of music to get folks to do what they wanted if they could. They'd pay bands to write songs that get them to work harder without breaks and longer..... Wink
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm

If it wasn't for thrash I'd a beat the dog snot out of alot of people instead of my drums. They were/are very, very theraputic.

I'm with Witchfinder Ambulance Chaser just kidding Psychologists are a big fraud and I don't give much creedence to Psychiatrists either.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Spark a doob & listen to whatever you want.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I agree with therapist. You should listen to Gansta Rap instead. Much more soothing to the soul.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I listened to a lot of really angry music at a time in my life when I was really, really angry and I don't really think that it was a release from that anger, but it did kind of provide me with a companion for my anger, something that told me that I wasn't alone in how I felt, in this way it may well have helped me to keep a lid on things (the booze & drugs helped too Embarassed )

I'm not a fan of anger management courses as they tend to be Cognitive behavioural or even Rational Emotive based (or as I lovingly call it, do as I say therapy Laughing ) they presume that the same techniques will work for everyone and all you need to do is adjust your thinking which I kind of think is bull as most people (particularly angry people) act on feelings, not thoughts. CBT can work well in the short term but if you are not addressing the root, which isn't anger, it never is, anger is a symptom, then the same problem will keep popping up time and time again.

If I was attempting to help someone who was trying to work through an issue that was making them unhappy, I really wouldn't start with a blanket ban on something that brought them joy, although you may find that your motivation for listening to that kind of music changes. That's pretty much what happened with me and the rare times that I seek out really angry music, it's more about nostalgia than anger.

I spent years studying psychology and psychotherapy and worked in that field for years and I've got to admit that I think that some of it is bull! But I got a really good therapist at the right time in my life, who didn't tell me what I could or couldn't do, or even diagnose me or try to put me in a neat box, she just listened to me and acted as a guide while I tried to make sense of the mess that was in my head, allowing me to find out why I was so angry all of the time and make the changes that I needed to make to come to some kind of peace with myself. I can understand why some people are down on it, but therapy really is the only reason that I'm still alive.

By the way, you could have just turned Rock of Ages off you know! That's what I did! Razz

You're making perfect sense here (as well as everyone else). It's always nice to hear it from someone with sheer knowledge in the field. I do have trust issues in general but when it comes to shrinks & co, I'm always leery when they become superficial in the slightest.

As for Rock of Ages, I have a longstanding habit of never turning a movie off partway. I had to live up to my standards. don\'t know

ultmetal wrote:
I agree with therapist. You should listen to Gansta Rap instead. Much more soothing to the soul.

She actualy suggested Reggae, no joke. I do love reggae and it is the most peaceful music I can think of, but kinda gets boring without marijuana which is forbidden in my house lol.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:27 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Judging from your other post in the 'Rock of Ages' thread, I'd suggest avoiding musicals, not Slayer.

f*ckin' lol :rofl:. Remember, though...it's not musicals, it's just Rock of Ages...
That's actually one of the only musicals that dosen't send me into fits of rage, i'll take it over crap like Sound Of Music any day of the week.

Anyways I don't think it's a bad thing for you to listen to Slayer when you're angry, those so-called "studies" often tend to be flawed and manipulated, so I wouldn't put too much faith in them. I will say that when i'm angry, I prefer to listen to AOR and/or pop music, as that calms me down faster then say listening to death metal, which usually just gives me a headache.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:34 am

corplhicks wrote:

She actualy suggested Reggae, no joke. I do love reggae and it is the most peaceful music I can think of, but kinda gets boring without marijuana which is forbidden in my house lol.

What a surprise, the "stoner" music is the calm music. Does she also think that a dream of falling means you're losing some control? This stuff is just super clever.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 2:47 am

I guess some people are very suggestible, but unless you are one of those I wouldn't worry about it. People who haven't been exposed to metal are sometimes shocked by it I suppose, but to those of us who are used to it it's just music.
I once broke up with a woman because she loved horror flicks so much and it gave me the creeps. But looking back it was probably just entertainment for her and not a big deal.
Lately I've been listening mostly to cheesy, happy AOR. I only wish it was indicative of my mental state, but no, the happy music has no effect and I'm still half nuts most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 2:57 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I guess some people are very suggestible, but unless you are one of those I wouldn't worry about it. People who haven't been exposed to metal are sometimes shocked by it I suppose, but to those of us who are used to it it's just music.
I once broke up with a woman because she loved horror flicks so much and it gave me the creeps. But looking back it was probably just entertainment for her and not a big deal.
Lately I've been listening mostly to cheesy, happy AOR. I only wish it was indicative of my mental state, but no, the happy music has no effect and I'm still half nuts most of the time.
I wish I knew a woman who loved horror films! I would never break up with someone just cause they liked something I didn't(like those damn Twilight films for instance)
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:37 am

Just remember: for your psychological well-being, it is vital you stay away from manowar. Other bands play, manowar disturbs!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:43 pm

My biggest worry is that you come to us for matters of your psychological well-beeing. That is the scary part!

Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 82702

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

kmorg wrote:
My biggest worry is that you come to us for matters of your psychological well-beeing. That is the scary part!

Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 647664
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:24 pm

I can't speak to this from the perspective of someone with anger issues...but in general, I can see kind of where someone is coming from with an idea like that.

It is hard for people to understand. Not everyone that listens to (or makes) aggressive music is pissed off. Not every death metal fan hates life. Not every black metal fan worships at the altar of Lucifer or Euronymous. And Judas Priest, Metallica, et al, were not responsible for any suicides.

Sometimes pissed off music makes you the happiest.

But at the same time, some times anger begets anger. About 10 years ago, or more, I was in a bit of an anti-social, almost depressive, rut. Did little and cared about less. I listened to metal predominantly at the time, but that had nothing to do with my state of mind. Just, you know, most of my life I listened to metal predominantly. So now when I hear albums that were in heavy rotation at that stage of my life...well, it doesn't put me back in that mindframe, but it reminds me of it, and therefore makes the album less enjoyable to me now.

I don't know. But unless Slayer is making you punch holes in walls or drive your car at 120mph, I can't imagine it's doing any harm.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 3:31 pm

I work with troubled kids and have done a lot of research on this. My conclusion: people need outlets, especially physical ones as this releases endorphins that help the body and mind feel better. People used to have to work their butts off to survive and didn't have time to sit around and dwell on all their issues, not that they didn't have them but you work sunup to sundown and it will moderate you or kill you. It's why I work out. Punish yourself in the weight room and it calms you down. Our society is so inactive and we eat so much crap and that is it's own stress. We work the boys, out cutting wood and doing hay and other such physical labor as well as getting them to exercise a lot and it works, boys labeled with every syndrome in the book calm down.
Psychs? Well, they do get $150 and hour, so the more syndromes the better.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Kickass post!!!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

kmorg wrote:

X2
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

X2

Next post: "Marriage and Metallica."

Seriously, though; I'm loving the input.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anger Management and Slayer   Anger Management and Slayer - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anger Management and Slayer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2