Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners

Go down 
+19
jstate
Gilbert
mc666
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Shawn Of Fire
MoonChild
kyleblack
metalheaded
MetalGuy71
Vexer6
DevZor
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
corplhicks
SpectreFate
ultmetal
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:49 am

Boris2008 wrote:
2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 54398912

Laughing very hard

That's fantastic. Smile
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:04 am

Quote :
Tony Iommi also got awards.

Which is why I have no problem with these types of awards. Some of the kids who are into this stuff might actually take the time to dig into Black Sabbath. I look at a lot of the award winners as "gateways" to other things. And cool if that leads them to stuff I love. Hell, just the fact that kids are into ANY music is alright by me. So long as they are actually buying it.

I can see why that Black Veil Brides song is a hit. I'd probably love it too if I was a teenager. We all have to start our musical listening adventure somewhere.

Not knowing, do kids today even buy magazines anymore?
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Rolling Eyes
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Eh, i'm just not seeing the resemblance to "pop" at all.

You're just not able to see past the surface...that's OK. It's DEFINITELY a pop song...new mix and vocal, and it's straight up pop...Kelly Clarkson could do it.
You say that like it's a fact, it's not, that's just your opinion, and in mine, it does not sound "pop" in the least.

In this case, it is a fact. The version of the song you're hearing does not sound pop because of how its being presented...loud guitars, some double-kick, and 5 guys who look like Nikki Sixx stunt doubles. That is just production. Strip that away to just the vocal melodies and the chorus hook, and it could be tailored to anyone from Taylor Swift to Daughtry. That chorus is 100% modern pop/rock to the core. Not saying its a bad thing...but its what it is.
Not according to Wikipedia, they classify BVD as hard rock and shock rock, which is good enough for me.

So once again, I say they are NOT pop and that is just YOUR opinion and NOT a fact, and saying is is makes you sound highly arrogant. Just because a few things in production could be changed and make it sound different dosen't mean anything. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

So once again, I say they are NOT pop and that is just YOUR opinion and NOT a fact, and saying is is makes you sound highly arrogant. Just because a few things in production could be changed and make it sound different dosen't mean anything. Rolling Eyes

Let's just drop it and not derail the thread any farther.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Really, you could look at this list and call out most of the bands as being pop. This is all top 20 stuff. Show of hands: who likes more than 10% of what's being played on the radio right now? I haven't listened to the radio in ages because of obvious reasons. I was checking out some Stone Sour and as a Slipknot fan I'm fairly surprised at the flatness of it all, including a ballad that was written with a lot of passion but is such a cliched barrel of manipulative techniques that you KNOW it was composed to grab listeners the easy way. It's akin to the Transformers movies: it's all candy and sweets even though the craft is lazy and etch-a-sketch.

Just to throw my opinion out there with the BVD debate...

I think it's best to avoid a genre war here by discarding the 'pop' and 'hard rock' tags (shock rock is a big wtf to me) and instead look at the structure of the song itself, which is very accessible, and commercial. In other words, it's radio-friendly. A radio-friendly formula is almost always "poppy," with melodies and hooks that are written in a fairly simple and conventional manner. Realize that a moderate amount of rock and metal is written this way--from Ratt to Killswitch Engage--and it's either you love it or hate it.

All in all, the song is not pop but has a heavy pop undercurrent that fits right into today's top 20 standards.

My opinion on the song? I hate it, it really does sound like a Kelly Clarkson hit mashed with 30 Seconds to Mars and a dash of generic power metal, but that's just my opinion. I'm cool with anyone who likes them.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm

I just said it's a pop song...agreeing with Spec...I never said BVB was a pop band...but if it walks and quacks like a duck.

It's like Children Of Bodom covering Britney Spears...they played it in a Metal style, but it's still a pop song.

And who gives a crap what Wikipedia says.

Quote :
it really does sound like a Kelly Clarkson hit mashed with 30 Seconds to Mars and a dash of generic power metal, but that's just my opinion.

That's not an opinion...it's an observational fact. Saying it "sucks" or "rules" is an opinion.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Lawl, to be entirely honest my subconscious said 'opinion' because putting Clarkson and Mars together for me really does suck. blech
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:15 pm

I don't get bent out of shape over labels. I like pop, a great pop song is really hard to acheive.

As I've already said, I like the song and they perform it well. Even if the image makes me smile quite a lot.

Oh, and newsflash Bon Jovi, Europe, Def Leppard, and Poison all did their fair share of pop songs back in the 80's
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I recorded it to watch it later but I agree with Scott and most of you, not my liking or taste. What is wrong with the state of Metal?
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:20 pm

BillRoxx wrote:
I recorded it to watch it later but I agree with Scott and most of you, not my liking or taste. What is wrong with the state of Metal?

We aren't the target audience any longer, it's geared for people less than half our age.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm

S.D. wrote:
BillRoxx wrote:

We aren't the target audience any longer, it's geared for people less than half our age.

Just as it should be Smile
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't get bent out of shape over labels. I like pop, a great pop song is really hard to acheive.

As I've already said, I like the song and they perform it well. Even if the image makes me smile quite a lot.

Oh, and newsflash Bon Jovi, Europe, Def Leppard, and Poison all did their fair share of pop songs back in the 80's

Exactly. I don't think anyone said it was a bad thing. Wink

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Really, you could look at this list and call out most of the bands as being pop. This is all top 20 stuff. Show of hands: who likes more than 10% of what's being played on the radio right now? I haven't listened to the radio in ages because of obvious reasons. I was checking out some Stone Sour and as a Slipknot fan I'm fairly surprised at the flatness of it all, including a ballad that was written with a lot of passion but is such a cliched barrel of manipulative techniques that you KNOW it was composed to grab listeners the easy way. It's akin to the Transformers movies: it's all candy and sweets even though the craft is lazy and etch-a-sketch.

Just to throw my opinion out there with the BVD debate...

I think it's best to avoid a genre war here by discarding the 'pop' and 'hard rock' tags (shock rock is a big wtf to me) and instead look at the structure of the song itself, which is very accessible, and commercial. In other words, it's radio-friendly. A radio-friendly formula is almost always "poppy," with melodies and hooks that are written in a fairly simple and conventional manner. Realize that a moderate amount of rock and metal is written this way--from Ratt to Killswitch Engage--and it's either you love it or hate it.

All in all, the song is not pop but has a heavy pop undercurrent that fits right into today's top 20 standards.

My opinion on the song? I hate it, it really does sound like a Kelly Clarkson hit mashed with 30 Seconds to Mars and a dash of generic power metal, but that's just my opinion. I'm cool with anyone who likes them.
I like quite a bit of what's being played on the radio actually, I'll agreee that BVD has a pop-edge, but I still see them as hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:17 pm

S.D. wrote:
BillRoxx wrote:

I'm half your age and there's quite a bit of contemporary music that dosen't appeal to me at all, i'm definitely not a fan of HIM, and I cannot stand crappy pop-punk bands like Fallout Boy and Green Day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
BillRoxx wrote:

I'm half your age and there's quite a bit of contemporary music that dosen't appeal to me at all, i'm definitely not a fan of HIM, and I cannot stand crappy pop-punk bands like Fallout Boy and Green Day.

I was speaking generally, of course not EVERYBODY likes EVERYTHING.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:34 pm

And Green Day are almost our age, therefore our fault! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Speaking of HIM, are they really still a thing?
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
They did release a new album last month, but i'm pretty sure if you asked most people my age who HIM are, they'll draw a blank, i've never heard them on the radio.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
They did release a new album last month, but i'm pretty sure if you asked most people my age who HIM are, they'll draw a blank, i've never heard them on the radio.

How strange they got that award then. Glad to hear they're fading out; that was some awful music.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 6:49 pm

The only one I don't have a problem with is HHH. The only people I think would are those ignorant people who think pro wrestlers aren't athletes (granted some aren't unless bodybuilding is a sport). I do like his acceptance speech:

Quote :
Everytime I had a tough decision to make in my life, I'd ask myself, "What would Lemmy do?" Then I'd come to my senses and do something LEGAL."

HHH btw is friends with Lemmy (hence Motorhead performing both of his last two theme songs and the theme for his wrestling group, Evolution). HHH is one of a handful of wrestlers who always sported denim and leather (except during his first run as an arrogant aristocrat) and until recently, long hair.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I only really remember him as Hunter Hearst Helmsley, and he wasn't very metal then!! lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Who the F*ck is Hunter Hearst Helmsley.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

HIM is killer...like The Cure crossed with Doom...

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Who the F*ck is Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I only really remember him as Hunter Hearst Helmsley, and he wasn't very metal then!! lol!

He hasn't been that since 1996. That was nothing like the real Paul Lavesque, just like Goldust wasn't the real Dustin Runnels, nor was the Ringmaster the real Steve Williams (Austin). This is the modern HHH (with an introduction by Motorhead):

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners   2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Winners
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next