Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Accept Lyrics, Eesh...

Go down 
+13
thejokeriv
metalheaded
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
T-Roy
DevZor
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Witchfinder
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
corplhicks
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Empty
PostSubject: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 am

Dunno if this has been discussed already, but can we talk about Accept's lyrics? I'm talking old-school here. Nothing wrong with the Tornillo era. But holy crap, what a weird band when it comes to writing. Forget the homo-eroticism, that's been analyzed to death and already cleared up with the band. I'm talking about the awkward phrasing and almost stream-of-consciousness that's on display. Two examples:

Hey you, come here. I show you something. There is what it takes for you. Mmm, you better follow -Midnight Mover

I feel like a need a f*cking decoder ring to make sense of this line. The song is about a man whore, I suppose, but what a surreal way to kick things off. It's like running into a drunk on the corner of Belmont & M.
Someone explain, please.

Late at night in the park, I feel it okay F*ck it, all of Head over Heels.

This is actually one of my most-listened-to Accept songs. Great riff, and Udo is something fierce. But the lyrical content is out of synch and mind. No meter, little sense of rhyme, but whatever, right? There's no rules in rock n roll, so screw meter and rhyme, I'm cool with that. It is a bit cryptic--an orgy? Public masturbation? Public sex as masturbation fuel? Guess it goes on in Germany all the time. But what is slipping in the dark? Who's head over heels with what? What is Udo treating so hard? Why is there silence here, more than all the noise? The highlight of the song is early on, "for heaven's sake, what's going on?" That sounds like something I've heard my mom say since I was a kid. For a song about gratuitous debauchery, you'd think the lyric would be "for F*ck's sake, what the hell am I seeing (remember, meter and rhyme...)?" But no, Udo's an old mammy with sensitive eyes.

I know Wolf's wife wrote most the lyrics at the time, but they're just the worst I've ever heard. It doesn't stop at these two songs; Balls to the Wall is some goofy shit, albeit tongue in cheek, and Screaming for a Love Bite? No wonder a lot of conservative groups didn't get these guys. Tell me what you think. Or, for heaven's sake, what you know.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:05 am

I don't get Accept's 80's imagery and lyrics in the context of what they have said in interviews. It all seems very homo-erotic (nothing wrong with that) but the band have said otherwise so it's confusing.

I just enjoy the music, I don't think that they will ever blow me away with the lyrics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:18 am

Write a letter! What's the matter? You'll feel better! Write a letter! Which of course with a German accent comes out as "write a lett-uh, what za matt-uh, you'll feel bett-uh, write a lett-uh". Laughing very hard

Good song but I absolutely cannot stop from cracking up hysterically every time I hear it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 am

I completely forgot about that one. "Don't think it's old fashioned to take one's heart!" How sweet of them; my marriage is saved because of heavy metal yeah! lol!

It's funny to compare lyrics like these to what the Scorpions and Priest were writing back then.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 am

I thought Gaby Hauke aka Deaffy aka Wolf's wife wrote most of their lyrics in mid 80's. Keep also in mind that on early albums they simply used phrases they knew. And it's great that being Russian helps easily not to focus on lyrics Razz
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 am

One must remember that English wasn't even a second language for these guys. Even movies and tv-series gets get dubbed in Germany, so they had very little exposure to English growing up. Probably only through music. Then trying to translate things make the engrish version of a lyric seem extra weird.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 8:49 am

As was mentioned previously, Wolf's wife wrote all the lyrics and the band knew very little English. Thus you get songs written from the viewpoint of a woman, sung by a group of men, in language they don't speak. Let hilarity ensue!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 am

kmorg wrote:
One must remember that English wasn't even a second language for these guys. Even movies and tv-series gets get dubbed in Germany, so they had very little exposure to English growing up. Probably only through music. Then trying to translate things make the engrish version of a lyric seem extra weird.

That's what I was going to say. English was not their first language. Some of the Scorpions lyrics were quite odd as well in the early years.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

Witchfinder wrote:
As was mentioned previously, Wolf's wife wrote all the lyrics and the band knew very little English. Thus you get songs written from the viewpoint of a woman, sung by a group of men, in language they don't speak. Let hilarity ensue!

I always pictured Wifey writing down this homo-erotic sounding gibberish as a practical joke and handing it to the band chuckling to herself. "Heh heh heh, they'll be singing this in front of thousands of people and have no clue what they're saying." Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I always pictured Wifey writing down this homo-erotic sounding gibberish as a practical joke and handing it to the band chuckling to herself. "Heh heh heh, they'll be singing this in front of thousands of people and have no clue what they're saying." Very Happy

This is very possible, as I don't think they sound as if they are written from the female perspective at all, it's just plain homo-erotic.

Language barrier aside, the cover of Balls to the Wall. Sheesh! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 am

Quote :
I feel like a need a f*cking decoder ring to make sense of this line.

Razz

Quote :
Thus you get songs written from the viewpoint of a woman, sung by a group of men, in language they don't speak. Let hilarity ensue!

Laughing very hard

Quote :
I always pictured Wifey writing down this homo-erotic sounding gibberish as a practical joke and handing it to the band chuckling to herself. "Heh heh heh, they'll be singing this in front of thousands of people and have no clue what they're saying."

laughing

Funniest thread I've perused in a while! Thx guys, made my morning.

Last edited by DevZor on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

lol! never trust the translator!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

There you go! I am sure Wolf's wife was trying to write the lyrics from a man's point of view.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm in the minority that LOVES the Balls artwork. And Heaven & Hell.

So TIL Accept wasn't very good with English, which makes sense. I've only seen interviews with Wolf, and recent at that, where his mastery of the language is almost flawless. Just watched a video of Udo from a year ago and I see what you guys mean. Still, it's funny stuff!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Wolf has lived in the U.S. for quite a few years now so I would imagine that his English skills have improved.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Nothing beats Sodom in the bad-early-lyrics-of-Germans category..

"..souls like hell, where demons make a toy.."

"....masturbate to kill myself.."

"We are all suicide, without brain"

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Yeah, the only way to get worse than that would be to check out the "Engrish" lyrics by some of the Brazilian/South American bands (i.e. Sarcofago, MX, Necrosis, The Mist, etc.)

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Yeah, but man, when I was a kid? That toy was the shit. Beware the toy.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:03 pm

It's a lot like those instructions that have been translated directly into English from Chinese on any given product. Hilarious!

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm in the minority that LOVES the Balls artwork. And Heaven & Hell.

So TIL Accept wasn't very good with English, which makes sense. I've only seen interviews with Wolf, and recent at that, where his mastery of the language is almost flawless. Just watched a video of Udo from a year ago and I see what you guys mean. Still, it's funny stuff!

The album sold well in spite of the cover!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 pm

That cover is actually how I got into Accept. I was pissed off with some cash in hand at the new nearby Wal Mart. I wanted the scariest looking CD I could find. Saw Balls. "Who is that thing and why is holding...I don't even...SOLD." Changed my life forever, man.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

corplhicks wrote:
That cover is actually how I got into Accept. I was pissed off with some cash in hand at the new nearby Wal Mart. I wanted the scariest looking CD I could find. Saw Balls. "Who is that thing and why is holding...I don't even...SOLD." Changed my life forever, man.

We all loved the album, hated the cover back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
Yeah, it's rather pointless analyzing weird lyrics sung in English by bands whose first language, and many times second language, is not English.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Not pointless... Hilarious!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:36 pm

I think what the fascination here is that--even knowing they spoke little English back in the day--I've not seen more strangely crude and incoherent lyrics from a foreign band, Scorpions and Sodom included. So it's both funny and relevant to the band's thematic approach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accept Lyrics, Eesh...   Accept Lyrics, Eesh... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Accept Lyrics, Eesh...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next