Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you Really thrash?

Go down 
+15
Orion Crystal Ice
Chrome Locust
Boris2008
Alex Dee Rokket
exact33
tohostudios
DallasBlack
Addy
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
Dark Horseman
James B.
SideShowDisaSter
kmorg
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm kind of more the quiet guy who prefers to be left alone but will calmly put your face through some drywall if necessary. Crossover is difficult for me because I like my thrash to exceed 3 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I never could stand crossover, and bands like DRI.

Punk (bands who were too crap musically to play metal, formed punk to rebel)

Some Punk became hardcore (a faster version of not really being able to play one's instrument, but keeping the Punk theme so its still not selling out but might grab a thrashers ear with no ear.)

Crossover: a mix between the above and metal, from bands that have learned to slightly play their instrument to above basic level and play DRI.)

Drek.

Metal is Metal, loud, pure, talented, real.

Crossover is a joke.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:13 pm

You already know my brother! Haha,anyway D.R.I is what got me into the crossover stuff and I was already an underground thrasher when all my friends were like who?what band?never heard of em!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Crossover is a joke.

He's a WITCH!!! Burn Him!!
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
Crossover is a joke.

He's a WITCH!!! Burn Him!!
Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard

Now, get in queue to burn me, my wife is first with the matches lol!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 pm

One of the best crossover records ever! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
You already know my brother! Haha,anyway D.R.I is what got me into the crossover stuff and I was already an underground thrasher when all my friends were like who?what band?never heard of em!

What are you saying exactly? You enjoyed bands that could play their instruments in the beginning (being an underground thrasher) then went to crossover?

Were you thinking of starting a band at this moment of DRI revelation? Had you just purchased a cheap bass guitar in the local 2nd hand musical shop and needed to justify buyers remorse the next day, by not being able to buy weed for the next three months, decide to start a band?

Be honest now.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Chrome, surely you can't deny the demented genius of S.O.D.'s Speak English Or Die. Nearly 30 years after its release that record still makes me wanna break stuff.

...oh wait, you probably can. I just remembered you don't like Anthrax. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Chrome, surely you can't deny the demented genius of S.O.D.'s Speak English Or Die. Nearly 30 years after its release that record still makes me wanna break stuff.

...oh wait, you probably can. I just remembered you don't like Anthrax. Very Happy

How can you dare say that? - what else would I listen to before beating my wife for over cooking my dinner. You keep forgetting I'm Irish. Laughing very hard

"I woke up - boy was I beat - went to the fridge - can't wait to eat - opened the door and to my dismay, there was no milk, my mother will pay." MILK by SOD. The profound words of the poet Billy Milano Laughing very hard

I put MILK and the charming SOD alongside Ludwig's 7th lol!

Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

https://youtu.be/5Oi7etAy_mA lol!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Looks like we found that guy from Heavy Metal Parking Lot who thinks punk rock belongs on Mars. But what do you think of COC? They started off as hardcore punk after all.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Hadley wrote:
Looks like we found that guy from Heavy Metal Parking Lot who thinks punk rock belongs on Mars. But what do you think of COC? They started off as hardcore punk after all.

Oh Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeese! All that hardcore whatever is all drek though, is it not? COC, Suicidal T etc, they all suck. The odd song is amusing, but it ends there . I found the crossover movement was the odd punk band who got to basic level of playing, and said: "Oh look, we are about basic now, lets jump on the thrash bandwagon - BUT - we can't play for shit, so, let's, while all growing our hair (DRI) pretend we are this crossover movement and be RAD.

Punk is for wannabe metal head bands, but can't play their instruments - so lets call it PUNK. To me, the joke wore off in 1979.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Calling Locky directly to bring some education to the highlands....

And, Chrommey L? After reading one of the most horrendous stories ever posted on this board in a different thread, I can't be as hard on you as I want to any more. But, this one is for you anyways [one of the truly KILLER Irish bands of all time. And THIS is crossover in my opinion. Three chords and fun anger]:

Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 pm

[quote="UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS"]Calling Locky directly to bring some education to the highlands....

And, Chrommey L? After reading one of the most horrendous stories ever posted on this board in a different thread, I can't be as hard on you as I want to any more. But, this one is for you anyways [one of the truly KILLER Irish bands of all time. And THIS is crossover in my opinion. Three chords and fun anger]:

[/quote

Don't turn Jessie on my account, bro, . He, he Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Don't turn Jessie on my account, bro, . He, he Wink Wink

Ventura? Girl? J? [ahhh, don't tell me not to turn Jessie J....I would never leave the house! hubba hubba].
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

Chrome Locust wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

What are you saying exactly? You enjoyed bands that could play their instruments in the beginning (being an underground thrasher) then went to crossover?

Were you thinking of starting a band at this moment of DRI revelation? Had you just purchased a cheap bass guitar in the local 2nd hand musical shop and needed to justify buyers remorse the next day, by not being able to buy weed for the next three months, decide to start a band?

Be honest now.

No,what Im saying is I was and am a thrash fan from along time ago.Played in a band that played old Megadeth and Metallica stuff.For me,i didnt get into the crossover stuff until I bought a copy of D.R.I s 4 of a kind.I still prefer thrash to crossover and hardcore but I dig alot of different stuff.Know what i mean?
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Yes, I really thrash.

Graduated in 1985. I was into metal all through high school. It started with Sabbath, Scorpions, Ozzy etc. Scorpions was my first favorite band, then Iron Maiden. Then Metallica came out with Kill Em All. I just wanted more faster heavier.

Loved the first two Suicidal albums, but never liked much crossover.

I love thrash, but I don't know that I hold it higher than other genres (black, death, doom, grind, American power metal, etc). Not into glam or Euro power metal or too much classic metal (other than the ones I grew up with).

I used to always mosh and headbang. I was thrashing like a maniac. I relate with others about being too old and brittle for moshing. Also, I think my headbanging probably messed up my neck a little, so I have to be careful about that too, which sucks. Sometimes I just want to bang my freakin head! But I have to be wise. Ended up in some physical therapy a little while after I went to see The Faceless. Could not help but bang my head.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:14 pm

AchrisK wrote:
Yes, I really thrash.

Graduated in 1985. I was into metal all through high school. It started with Sabbath, Scorpions, Ozzy etc. Scorpions was my first favorite band, then Iron Maiden. Then Metallica came out with Kill Em All. I just wanted more faster heavier.

Loved the first two Suicidal albums, but never liked much crossover.

I love thrash, but I don't know that I hold it higher than other genres (black, death, doom, grind, American power metal, etc). Not into glam or Euro power metal or too much classic metal (other than the ones I grew up with).

I used to always mosh and headbang. I was thrashing like a maniac. I relate with others about being too old and brittle for moshing. Also, I think my headbanging probably messed up my neck a little, so I have to be careful about that too, which sucks. Sometimes I just want to bang my freakin head! But I have to be wise. Ended up in some physical therapy a little while after I went to see The Faceless. Could not help but bang my head.

I pretty much could have written the above word for word. Grew up in the late 70's and into the 80's with bands like Sabbath, Scorps, Zeppelin, etc. morphed into Priest, Motorhead, Saxon, Twisted Sister, Maiden, Accept, Raven, Venom, Anvil, Metallica, Anthrax, Suicidal, S.O.D., Agnostic Front, etc. etc. etc. It just got heavier and heavier. Continued into the late 80's with Napalm Death, Death, Kreator, Dark Angel, Celtic Frost, etc. I grew up in NJ as part of the Metal Militia.

Only thing is, I don't think I'm too old to mosh, I just don't want to anymore. I want to watch the band perform and listen to the music. I'm one of those asses that stands on the outside of the pit with my arms crossed and elbows out ready to jab whatever jerk is going to try to slam into me. I paid to hear music and see the band perform, not bust up my face in a pit.

I'm far from an expert on crossover. I certainly like some of it. One local band I somehow missed when I was growing up in NJ in the 80s was Lethal Aggression. Anyone remember them?

Less crossover and more speed metal were another NJ band, Gothic Slam...

Again, not crossover but orobably one of my favorite bands growing up was this lethal NJ speed metal band...

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Uncle, you were in Portland for awhile right? Ever see the Wipers? Probably the biggest precursor to the Seattle scene. And of course Poison Idea though going to their shows could be scary.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:04 pm

First - to respond to Ult - I have attempted to get you into the Crossover thang forever. Your indepenent spiritual views changed right around the time that "thrash went psycho". I respect you and your site more than most anything. Just two paths that were a year or two behind each other.

DH - Born in Portland. Actually moving back in less than 30 days [check out my store at: http://unclesaxon.musicstack.com/ you will save me a little gas getting back out there!!! ALL OFFERS ACCEPTED!!!!]. Never met Greg Sage and, to be honest, the Wipers never did much for me. A far as P-Town goes, Black n Blue is still one of my all time favorites [Jaime and crew ROCKED THE HELL outta the MoRC!!!], but Art and Everclear is probably the best band to come out of Portland/VanWa. Regardless - I am moving out there with my dumb dawg in an RV to promote Hockey in the Northwest and we will see if any of these hippies can actually skate. And just remember - 0.001% of ALL proceeds from sales from the Uncle Saxon's Kickass CD Store [http://unclesaxon.musicstack.com/] will go to youth hockey on the Multnomah County area.

Dark Horseman wrote:
Uncle, you were in Portland for awhile right? Ever see the Wipers? Probably the biggest precursor to the Seattle scene. And of course Poison Idea though going to their shows could be scary.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I also have some rare Wipers AND Poison Idea in that most charitible of websites: http://unclesaxon.musicstack.com/

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Only thing is, I don't think I'm too old to mosh, I just don't want to anymore. I want to watch the band perform and listen to the music. I'm one of those asses that stands on the outside of the pit with my arms crossed and elbows out ready to jab whatever jerk is going to try to slam into me. I paid to hear music and see the band perform, not bust up my face in a pit.

And THIS is the point of my original post. I completely understand the concept of aging. But the JERK that is going to slam into you - and everyone else reading this - is YOU!!! Just 20-25 years later. That karate crap they do now is seriously stupid. It is an obvious attempt to not have contact with the scene, in my opinion. That is why I still sacrifice my decrepted fat, arthritic ass into the pit. Trust me. The emo Karate kidz scatter in exactly one second if the band is Forbidden, Gama Bomb, Suicidal Tendencies, Heathen, AVENGER OF BLOOD [just ask 'em], etc etc. You are NOT TOO BRITTLE to show a 103# shit that is only at the gig to show his/her suburban heartache to the locals that they need to actually LISTEN to what the F is going on in that pit!

yeaaaahhh...Just went all oldschool-opinion on the Heart of Metal Board again. Gonna post this anyways.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Hockey? Really? In what capacity?
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Hockey? Really? In what capacity?

I will start with the Mites in my neices/nephews elementary schools and see what I can do from there. As I am sure you already know, Nike pretty much owns Western Oregon. So, if I can make a little name for myself, I will approach them about kickstarting some NW grassroots hockey programs. Ya know - actually - I may just approach them as my initial step, come to think of it. I have alot of midwest contacts and they have zero merch rights in the heart of College hockey. Zephyr and the others control that. Another stream of consciousness happening here.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:04 pm

That'd be cool. Portland has the Winterhawks and rumbles about getting a pro team but the NW is a weird area for sports. Good luck man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you Really thrash?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2