Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cloven Hoof - let's talk

Go down 
+16
metalken
Boris2008
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
krokus
TheGreatDuck
candlemass
Witchfinder
Dave the Boss
ultmetal
stormspell
Required Fields
Orion Crystal Ice
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Arjun_M
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

Cloven Hoof - let's talk Empty
PostSubject: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 am

There are a few out here who remember them. My personal favourites are the Russ North albums, which had a distinct EUPM sound to them, as also tunes that stick. That said, it's hard to get "Layin' down, layin' down the law" from the David Potter era out of a few heads. I don't like the new sound at all- it's too close to extreme metal territory. What do you think? I like their sound more than that of, say, Diamond Head or Saxon.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah, great stuff.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 am

"A Sultan's Ransom" is gold. THE HIIILS HAVE EEEYES
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am

A cloven hoof is a hoof which is cloven.

Also a very good band.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't own anything by them yet, but they're a good band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:07 am

Good band I personally prefer over Saxon and Diamond Head on any day. I need to pick that Dominator vinyl re-release Burried By Time And Dust did recently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Here's a video from the 1980s- Mad Mad World (Sultan's Ransom)

A video of their latest (?) song - I'm your nemesis now

Maybe you'll like this vocalist a lot more - Russ North on Reach For The Sky (one of my personal favourites)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 pm

I STILL have no Cloven Hoof on NLTM. Ugh! I use to have Dominator on vinyl back in the day.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:16 am

ultmetal wrote:
I STILL have no Cloven Hoof on NLTM. Ugh! I use to have Dominator on vinyl back in the day.

Get A Sultan's Ransom ult! I can't imagine you NOT linking that album!

Unfortunately, CH have pretty much turned to sh!t the last few years. That I'm Your Nemesis song is absolutely atrocious, and just listen to their latest craptastic tune:

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I finally got a copy of A Sultan's Ransom and this album is killer! I am sorry that I had missed this album for all these years. It's a rock-solid collection of classy, melodic, power metal from these NWOBHM legends. Damn it's good! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Yes, I have also been listening to that one lately and it's a great one.

Wouldn't it have been interesting if Russ North won the audition over Blaze? Apparently he was the #2 choice.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:53 pm

I just ordered A Sultan's Ransom!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm

A Sultan's Ransom arrived in the mail today!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

stormspell wrote:
Good band I personally prefer over Saxon...

Cloven Hoof - let's talk 82702 Cloven Hoof - let's talk 352445 blech
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 pm

To tell the truth, they ARE better than Saxon, they only lack in the quantity department.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Hear hear Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 am

I have the first long player CLOVEN HOOF from 1984 on tape and lp, FIGHTING BACK, DOMINATOR and A SULTANS RANSOM on vinyls, their comeback album EYE OF THE SUN from 2006 on cd and their ep THRONE OF DAMNATION from 2010 on cd.
I like them a lot of course (if not i dont have their albums headbanger ). I even saw them live ones in Spain.
Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 4:33 am

My favourite Cloven Hoof album is Dominator. Unfortunately, that's the one album which has rather poor mixing/mastering, and sounds like it was recorded off microphones from a record player, even in the CD/MP3 age.

Their later albums have that painful, borderline extreme sound, which we don't like so much. Many of us agree they haven't found a suitable replacement for Russ North, and none of Matt Moreton, Ash Cooper and Joe Whelan can do a capable job on the mic- they just snarl, growl and screech, but don't sing. That would possibly explain why Russ North keeps joining the band every now and then- he once left the Hoof because he wanted to leave metal, only to get metal again and join them, not once, but twice.

That video for Contagion looks and feels fake- I mean, isn't that Russ North singing for them? The singer on that song sounds very unlike Russ North, and apparently it is guitarist Joe Whelan. I find it hard to believe that Russ North would record something this bad. And the lyrics, ugh, they're terrible.

This band has had way too many lineup changes for the few albums they recorded.

Last edited by Arjun_M on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 6:38 pm

I reviewed A Sultan's Ransom on my YouTube channel:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 7:28 am

Their new album has been out a few months ago. Much of the lyrics have a medieval theme, and they have Joe Whelan as their lead singer. Might take some getting used to, but the songwriting and recording seems decent.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 am

Bump because I'm listening to Resist or Serve right now. Cool traditional metal. Check 'em out. You might like it.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 12:25 pm

So i am finally adding some cloven hoof to my collection. Earier today i ordered their self titled album along with Who mourns for the morning star. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

I heard Dominator was reissued recently, or is about to be. I'll have to get that later this year.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

Required Fields wrote:
I heard Dominator was reissued recently, or is about to be. I'll have to get that later this year.

I am planning to expand my cloven hoof collection. So hopefully i will pick up this one once i find it for a decent price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cloven Hoof - let's talk   Cloven Hoof - let's talk Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cloven Hoof - let's talk
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: