Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stryper - Second Coming

Go down 
+24
Sutekh
journeyman
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
corplhicks
snooloui
Fat Freddy
candlemass
thejokeriv
James B.
Troublezone
Gilbert
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
shamgar75
mc666
Dark Horseman
Thrasher73
kmorg
mr.electric39
Lurideath
nevermore
ultmetal
deathisgain
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 pm

It's an ok song, not exceptional. I like Blackened better.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
One of the new tracks, Bleeding From The Inside, is up on youtube:

Sounds like M. Sweet singing for Shinedown or something ?

It rocks, but doesn't have that signature Stryper sound.

Blackened is better IMHDO

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 pm

I think it def. Sounds like Stryper. Perhaps more In God We Trust or Against The Law era, but still Stryper!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm

kmorg wrote:
I think it def. Sounds like Stryper. Perhaps more In God We Trust or Against The Law era, but still Stryper!

It only sounds like Stryper to me due to who is singing on it, and the vocal harmonies. The music could be interchsnged with any modern hard rock band like Shinedown or whoever.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26452

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I thought the song was ok. Not the worst thing I've ever heard but not the greatest either.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 am

I have no interest in re-fried beans...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

Bleeding is an ok song but Blackened is def. the better of the two songs
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Bleeding is an ok song but Blackened is def. the better of the two songs

^^ Wut dis guy sez right here.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey, I said it first. Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 499945
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 pm

^^^^ Well, OK, then, wut dis guy sez right here, and wut de other guy sez up there.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Thank-you for your support.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:34 pm

A little bit off topic, but I was looking to get a live DVD of Stryper. It's a choice between Live in Puerto Rico or the new one Live at Java Rockin' Land. Are these both official releases? Michael's vocals sound better on the Puerto Rico one but I did not the back cover calls him 'Matthew' Sweet so I wondered if it was a dodgy release.

Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 81yoOPBgJVL._AA1500_
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

snooloui wrote:
A little bit off topic, but I was looking to get a live DVD of Stryper. It's a choice between Live in Puerto Rico or the new one Live at Java Rockin' Land. Are these both official releases? Michael's vocals sound better on the Puerto Rico one but I did not the back cover calls him 'Matthew' Sweet so I wondered if it was a dodgy release.

Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 81yoOPBgJVL._AA1500_

It's an official one. I don't have it yet. If it's better than the Puerto Rico one, I will probably pick it up. The Puerto Rico on was a snoozefest, IMHO
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm

That's the back of the Puerto Rico concert. I think his vocals sound better but it looks like more effort went into that so they may have tampered with the vocals/instruments and re-recorded parts scratch

The whole Indonesia concert is on Youtube, it doesn't sound that great either as it was recorded at a festival. I just wanted to get a live concert from them and hear Michael's awesome vocals in the live setting headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:10 pm

So did anyone buy Second Coming? I'm sure no expert, but does it sound like the guitars are all tuned down a half step? It does give the songs a slightly heavier tone but it also allows Micheal Sweet to sing at a lower register. He still hits all those insane high notes he wrote in these old songs. I'm just wondering if the tuning this is just my ears or if others agree that the guitars are downtuned to perhaps E flat/D♯ ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

ultmetal wrote:
So did anyone buy Second Coming? I'm sure no expert, but does it sound like the guitars are all tuned down a half step? It does give the songs a slightly heavier tone but it also allows Micheal Sweet to sing at a lower register. He still hits all those insane high notes he wrote in these old songs. I'm just wondering if the tuning this is just my ears or if others agree that the guitars are downtuned to perhaps E flat/D♯ ?

I thought so too
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Michael Sweet is in perfect form, unusual for most of the pop metal arena. The most ironic thing I think I've seen was the pairing of Sweet with Jani Lane and Taime Downe on TMS. Between those two, he looked like a literal angel.

I'm working in Sbux without headphones at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll find out if it's detuned. Wouldn't be surprised, a lot of older bands are doing that right now for lead singer "health," at least live.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

That would not surprise me. I'm loving this album though!

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Can't speak for the rest of the album, but Bleeding is a half-step down. There's a possibility this was done for tone like you said, since Van Halen and Dokken would do the same thing, but maybe for Sweet too.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

If you play the songs back from the original to the new recording it sounds like it's tuned down. He sings lower some too though he does still get some of the high notes.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 pm

I got it & it definitely sounds a lot heavier. Michael still sounds amazing despite the age on his chords.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 am

mc666 wrote:
I got it & it definitely sounds a lot heavier. Michael still sounds amazing despite the age on his chords.

I concur.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:59 am

I'm not hearing Shinedown.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am

Overall I like the sound of all the songs better than the originals.Its a great collection of their works and IMO the way a rerecord should be done. It does sound like they may have tuned down a half step but I cant say for sure.It could also be that they use a different setup now with the orange amps and I could be wrong but they arent using Jackson guitars anymore?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 am

Why does anyone care if it's tuned down a half-step from standard?

- Van Halen was always in D back in the Roth days
- Firehouse was in e-flat from the get go...they're D live these days
- Sabbath was in C wasn't it?

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - Second Coming   Stryper - Second Coming - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stryper - Second Coming
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next