Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs that namedrop band names.

Go down 
+32
stevegarveyfan
Citanul
metalhead777
GrandNational
allthingsmetal
Grimmo
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Troublezone
Leatherface
Hadley
Sword Of The Heretic
jettafiend
80s Metal Lady
Gryphon-kl
Boris2008
Sutekh
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
jstate
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
SpectreFate
thejokeriv
CRIMSONMASK
Shawn Of Fire
manny
kmorg
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Songs that namedrop band names. Empty
PostSubject: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Vengeance Rising is name dropping Sacred Warrior in The Flood.

Any other examples?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Heaven in the tune " In the Beginning" name drops Hendrix, Led Zeppelin , Deep Purple and AC/DC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 pm

One of the most obvious is Neil Young being mentioned in the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama. "I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow".

A more recent example:

"I was born in '67, the year of Sgt. Pepper and Are You Experienced" - Time Flies (Porcupine Tree)

*I know, those are album titles not band names, but I think it's comparable.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Night Ranger has a song with the line "I like Rolling Stones records..."

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm

King's X - "And The Bealtes said, all you need is love..."

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Lich King- We Came to Conquer, name drops Gama Bomb, Warbringer, Havok, Municipal Waste, & Manowar

Sabaton- Metal Crue, name drops everybody

Pantera- @#$% Electric- Black Sabbath & Slayer

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Steel Panther - name drops in a couple tracks (see Death To All But Metal & Tomorrow Night)

Cheap Trick - Surrender (I got my KISS records out)
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

About 10 different 80's bands are mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Tamplins In the Lap of Legends has several

The Crucifieds The Insult Circus "indirectly name drops"

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Tuff pretty much covered all the 80's bands. A few 70's and 90's too..

Does it count namedropping yourself?

Motorhead - We Are Motorhead
Aerosmith - The Hop
Metallica - Whiplash

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Tuff "All New Generation" mentions: "Cooper, Kiss, the OZ and Motley, Poison, Axl, Jon Bon Jovi, Skid Row is the Youth Gone Wild!"

Ramones mention T. Rex in "Do You Remember Rock N' Roll Radio?" Some others too, I think but I forget.

Generation X, in "Ready Steady Go" mention Bobby Dylan, The Beatles and the Stones.

I'm sure there are countless others, but that's right off the top of my head.

That Danger Danger rap song name drops a bunch of their peers.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Seven Witches - Metal Asylum

Judas Priest, The Maiden Band
Brought us to the promised land

Led Balloon, the Sabbath Boys
Cranked it up with metal toys

Thin Lizzy, Diamond Head
Ripped so hard it woke the dead

Metal Asylum

Motorhead, Slayer too
Paved the way for a Motley Crue

Ronnie James, and the Ozz
And the words for the world to see

Uriah Heep, Rose Tattoo,
The God Of Thunder, we fire for you.

It's heaven and hell, in this Metal Asylum,
you're under the spell
Metal Asylum

Scream for me Long Beach!
We love you all!
Does anyone remember that song?
Look at all the people out here tonight!

[Solo]

Dirty Deeds, B-O-C
Gave us all society

Highway Star, Creeping Death, Quiet Riot
Bang your head!

you're under the spell
Metal Asylum

you're under the spell
Metal Asylum

Asylum, asylum, asylum, asylum!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Quote :
Ramones mention T. Rex in "Do You Remember Rock N' Roll Radio?" Some others too, I think but I forget.

The others are Jerry Lee Lewis (referred to simply as "Jerry Lee" in the song), John Lennon and someone named "Ol' Moulty."

For the record, I do remember Jerry Lee, John Lennon, and T-Rex, however I have no clue who Ol' Moulty is or was.

Also:

Manowar name-drop themselves at least once per song.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Also, the Seven Witches song listed above reminds me of the obvious: LONE RANGER'S "METAL RAP!"

"Oh my god! It's HEAVY! METAL!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Deep Purple mentions "Frank Zappa & The Mothers" (of Invention) in Smoke On The Water.

That song also name drops "Funky Claude" who is Claude Nobs, founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival, he just passed away a couple weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Metallica name drops themselves in "Whiplash"!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Quote :
For the record, I do remember Jerry Lee, John Lennon, and T-Rex, however I have no clue who Ol' Moulty is or was.

Now it can be told!! My good friend Dr. Wick E. Peedia, informs me that Victor "Moulty" Moulton was the drummer of The Barbarians, a '60s garage-rock band that the Ramones were all big fans of, so mentioning "Ol' Moulty" in the song was a tip of the hat to them.

... just in case anybody cares besides me and possibly ZombieHavoc. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Now it can be told!! My good friend Dr. Wick E. Peedia, informs me that Victor "Moulty" Moulton was the drummer of The Barbarians, a '60s garage-rock band that the Ramones were all big fans of, so mentioning "Ol' Moulty" in the song was a tip of the hat to them.

Thanks for the insight! That's a pretty obscure name drop (but maybe not in 1979/1980?). I am familiar with The Barbarians only by way of their 2 songs on the Nuggets boxed set....and one of them happens to be called "Moulty". I never would have made that connection.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Thanks for the insight! That's a pretty obscure name drop (but maybe not in 1979/1980?). I am familiar with The Barbarians only by way of their 2 songs on the Nuggets boxed set....and one of them happens to be called "Moulty". I never would have made that connection.

Me too! I care!!

Weird tune.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Annihilator's Army Of One names 9 or 10 of fellow bands :

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Keeping with the Ramones theme, in the Johnny Thunders version of the song 'Chinese Rocks' the lyrics

"Somebody called me on the phone
They said hey, is Dee Dee home"

Dee Dee is Mr. Ramone, co-writer of the song. Later, when the Ramones covered it, the line was changed to:

They said hey, is Artie home"

Artie is Arturo Vega, long time friend of the band and designer of their "Presidential Seal" logo. The band would hang out in his art studio/apartment before they could afford homes themselves.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Keeping with the Ramones theme, in the Johnny Thunders version of the song 'Chinese Rocks' the lyrics

They said hey, is Dee Dee home"

Dee Dee is Mr. Ramone, co-writer of the song. Later, when the Ramones covered it, the line was changed to:

They said hey, is Artie home"

Artie is Arturo Vega, long time friend of the band and designer of their "Presidential Seal" logo. The band would hang out in his art studio/apartment before they could afford homes themselves.

I've caught that bit in the Thunders version. I didn't know who Artie was, in the Ramones version. That's an interesting bit.

The Ramones also name drop themselves, the band name and also their own names individually, in several places.

The Boys have a song that drops The Ramones name, too, but I am having a hard time getting it in my head. It's been too long since I've heard the tune.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Quote :
I've caught that bit in the Thunders version. I didn't know who Artie was, in the Ramones version. That's an interesting bit.

Same here. I knew the Thunders version long before I heard the Ramones cover it. I didn't know who Artie was either till I read Mickey Leigh's book (Joey's brother) and he mentions it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

[quote="Fat Freddy"]
Quote :
Manowar name-drop themselves at least once per song.

That's also a fun game, bands name checking their own band. And I'm talking more about referencing them as a band, not having a song named after their band (for example, Hammerfall has a song called Hammerfall--I would not count that). Manowar works, because they always talk about Manowar killing things and stuff.

Someone above mention Metallica and "Whiplash".

Of course Anthrax do it in "I'm the Man."

Exodus does it in "Toxic Waltz".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Cheap Trick - Surrender
The line is, rolling numbers, rock-and-rolling, got my Kiss records out...

PostSubject: Re: Songs that namedrop band names.   Songs that namedrop band names. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs that namedrop band names.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next