Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary

Go down 
+18
tohostudios
Chrome Locust
chewie
stepcousin
Cliffy
QuothTheRaven
exact33
manny
Fat Freddy
theAcorn
James B.
ultmetal
kmorg
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
*sigh* I surrender. You're right, KISS is in the same musical category as Justin Bieber, PSY, Lady Gaga and other pop flavors-of-the-day. I'm just too stupid to realize it.

I guess so - how could not realize what a Pop masterpiece this track is? Heck, it could have been a top 10 Justin Beiber hit!!!!:

Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:31 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
*sigh* I surrender. You're right, KISS is in the same musical category as Justin Bieber, PSY, Lady Gaga and other pop flavors-of-the-day. I'm just too stupid to realize it.

I guess so - how could not realize what a Pop masterpiece this track is? Heck, it could have been a top 10 Justin Beiber hit!!!!:

Guess I got up a few butthurt KISS fans asses, not my intention. If you like pop/bubblegum, go for it - I prefer my rock a bit more honest headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm

[quote="Chrome Locust"]
tohostudios wrote:
*sigh* I surrender. You're right, KISS is in the same musical category as Justin Bieber, PSY, Lady Gaga and other pop flavors-of-the-day. I'm just too stupid to realize it.[/quote

How can you seriously compare bass guitar John Entwhistle to Gene Simmons?

How can you compare Paul Stanly, or any lead guitarist in Kiss to Pete Townsend on guitar?

How can you compare Moony to Peter Criss or any Kiss drummer?

The answer speaks for itself.

A little teenage angst pop band KISS. You want real rock, try the Who, check out the lyrics.

Comparing Kiss to the Who is apples and oranges, Van Halen to Pearl Jam, Anthrax to Mercyful Fate. They're both rock/metal but they have an incredibly different style is all. Hell, they're from different countr--

...waitaminute. Is this who debacle related to the waving of flags?

btw, I highly doubt anyone is hurt here. Amused, maybe.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:

How can you compare Paul Stanly, or any lead guitarist in Kiss to Pete Townsend on guitar?

How can you compare Moony to Peter Criss or any Kiss drummer?

The answer speaks for itself.

As a drummer for 40 years now, I am of the opinion that Kieth Moon is one of the sloppiest players EVER. Peter Criss was weak but Eric Carr and Eric Singer are both talented and show way more versatility than Moon ever did. I will give him (Moon) credit for thinking out of the box somewhat but his contemporaries of the day, Baker, Bonham, Mitchell, and Paice had more to offer than tossing a drum kit around onstage and (like already mentioned) sloppy inconsistant playing.

Pete Townsend was a good songwriter, but his voice and Daltery's are too similar to give them any sort of dynamic that 4 vocalists in KISS had.

I'll give ya The OX over Simmons in the bass playing department, but at least Simmons could write a variety of styles in songs. (IMHDO)

Townsend could play some decent leads, but his more interesting stuff was multi-layered in the studio with two and thee guitar tracks or keyboard to fill in the holes. Ace, though no virtuoso knew how to craft a solo like a song within a song. Stanley is a MAJOR Who fan and the covers of "Baba O' Reilly" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" KISS done in the mid to late 80's tours were off the hook. They had more balls than any live version the WHo ever done of either song (IMHDO) The other lead players in KISS were of a way diffeent style than Townsend (Vincent, St. John. Kulick) so it isn't worth comparing, though (IMHDO) Kulick could play with the vibe and feel of Townsend. Which is heard in the above mentioned Who covers the non make-up version of KISS performed on multiple tours.

The Who had their moment and wrote alot of great tunes. I could probably go album by album and song by song and KISS would have more heavier tunes as a whole than the Who. Ya have to remember that The Who were a mod band for the first 5 or 6 years of their career and didn't touch on heavy till the conceptual album years and Who's next, the mid 70's on they were fo the most part a pop band. KISS did the pop thing too, but comparing the overall output of both bands song for song. KISS was by far the more heavier band.

I am a fan of The Who to an extent . KISS not being honest ????? They wrote mostly about getting laid. How is that not rock n roll ? If Townsend was honest, he'd a wrote about naked photos of lil boys. The Who had their share of pop/bubblegum stuff too and we can't forget that KISS followed The Who's example of that proverbial FAREWELL TOUR being a big scam. I was in the upper decks of Oakland Stadium during The Who's farewell tour in 1980 (paid big money for that time) and was PO'd when thet toured again some two or three later.

This is just my opinion and you have yours. KISS was pop, rock, hard rock. and metal (throughout the almost 40 years of their existence) The Who were mod, blues, pop, rock and hard rock in their carrer. Look at your history, man.....when The Who first hit the scene in England they were a mod band. The mod scene was the bubblegum of the day. So you cannot have it both ways and finger point at one band and then not see the similarities of both bands just years later and the different aspects each took in their perspective paths to rock n roll stardom.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 am

Ok, Chrome Locust. If you can't discuss without turning everything into a US vs you thing, then don't discuss at all! No need to use derogatory terms for people of a different opinion than you.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 am

Here is my video evidence headbanger

KISS-"Won't Get Fooled Again"

Last edited by James B. on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:21 am

Chrome Locust wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Guess I got up a few butthurt KISS fans asses, not my intention. If you like pop/bubblegum, go for it - I prefer my rock a bit more honest headbanger headbanger headbanger

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 am

Came here to say this:

HOW THE F*ck IS THAT NOT HEAVY METAL
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

I love both bands, but you may hate KISS but they far from a pop metal. KISS were not only influenced by the Who, but also the Beatles and Gene Simmons was inspired by Slade.

I have never in my life have ever even thought of comparing both bands, musically, culturally, and everything I can think about both bands are completely different.

Alot of people don't like KISS because they admit they like money and stamp their name on anything ( and I mean anything) but that has nothing to with the music.

KISS music was raw and heavy, and by 1965 standards so were some Who tracks such as 'Can't Explain; 'I Can See for Miles' but that is were the similarity ends, and I admit even that was a bit of stretch.

The term of heavy metal was beginning to be applied by the time KISS debut was released in 1974, and they were labeled metal (or shock rock), granted KISS were not Black Sabbath but then again netither were the Who
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am

Heavy metal is a far broader tent than is sometimes thought, especially when considered historically.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 pm

[quote="Chrome Locust"]
tohostudios wrote:
I guess you'll just have to remain "gobsmacked" because if anything, I think KISS is HEAVIER than The Who overall.

As I said before, I'm a fan of both bands but I give up trying to divine your interpretation of Kiss as "pop" while The Who is "metal". You're entitled to your opinions regardless of how wrongheaded I think they are. Very Happy[/quote

Spoken like a true Yank (Mod throws chair at me across Atlantic) . And if you read what I said before going all American: I never called the WHO metal - I called them HARD ROCK and influenced hard rock and metal - (re-read what I wrote) . If I upset your little AMERICAN bubblegum band KISS, I am truly sorry. For my penance I shall play 'God Gave Rock And Roll To you' and 'Crazy Nights' the Simon Cowel derived drek that is killing rock music. And I'll get my kids to rock out to Madonna (I mean KISS) - same thing Laughing very hard

Now, f**k off, will ya, before I grab you across the Atlantic and force u to neck a bottle or two of Bushmills and an ear pounding of THE WHO.

perhaps you would not get moderated so much if you realized that its really not that important what genre X band fits into and trashing others nationalities because along the way. If you do not consider Kiss metal or hard rock - knock yourself out. I don't really care if you think the Who is heavier. But please be civil in your discussions or we will help you.

iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 pm

new stage need the setlist change.
mostly from Creatures & Revenge
tonigh the playlist will be revealed so ...

btw. i excpected something more from "new" stage its new but not as CotN Revenge Asylum era bring that time.
this is jsut a little light correction from Aussie tour with MC.
maybe when im gonna see it live i will change my mind.

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Full
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary   KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KISS - Happy 40th Anniversary
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3