Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2013 at the movies - what is upcoming

Go down 
+23
exact33
CRIMSONMASK
Vexer6
bgsully
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
Required Fields
tohostudios
T-Roy
Addy
scottmitchell74
Boris2008
Wurthless
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
iamrockerfun
adrian
James B.
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I think "unintentionally" humorous schlock films are far more entertaining than those which are"intentionally" bad. I'm lookin' at you Asylum, you'll never be as much fun as watching Robot Monster at 1am on a Saturday night when you're shitfaced drunk and just finished tokin' on a fatty.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
I think "unintentionally" humorous schlock films are far more entertaining than those which are"intentionally" bad.  I'm lookin' at you Asylum, you'll never be as much fun as watching Robot Monster at 1am on a Saturday night when you're shitfaced drunk and just finished tokin' on a fatty.

I agree; that's the difference between early Charles Band movies and his latest ones. I think he was seriously trying to make good movies at the outset whereas now he knows people think his stuff sucks so he just gives us sucky movies. And yet some of us still keep watching them... Laughing very hard 

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

You guys remember Brian Yunza? I should see if he's still doing shit.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37670

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I loved Full Moon's stuff in the late 80s/early 90s. "Demonic Toys," "Subspecies," the "Puppet Master" series... good chizz.

I hadn't seen any of their flicks in a number of years till I picked up one of those cheapy "Horror Collection" DVD sets a while ago that had "Evil Bong," "Meridian" and one or two others on it.

Toho's been trying to get me to watch "Gingerdead Man" for a couple of years now but I've been able to resist thus far... haha. But my brother recently bought a compilation DVD with "Gingerdead Man" in it, and he sez I NEED to borrow it from him and experience it for myself...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 pm

The last Full Moon picture I remember seeing was The Pit & The Pendulum starring Lance Henrickson...in 1990.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 11:47 pm

I love me some Full Moon films as well, I love both the old and the new B-movies, I think Band still makes some entertaining films.

I also admittedly do quite enjoy some Asylum films like Halloween Night, When A Killer Calls, and the Megashark films.

Also i'm going to be seeing Getaway tomorrow, can't wait!  I loved Selena Gomez in Spring Breakers, so i'm in interested to see how she is in that film.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:
You guys remember Brian Yunza? I should see if he's still doing shit.
Brian Yuzna is one of my favorites. So is Stuart Gordon. And when the 2 of them team up...Hooboy lookout!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:25 pm

The last Yuzna produced film I saw was "Dagon" from 2001 (and it wasn't that great). Here's his IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0951206/?ref_=sr_1#Producer

How could I have missed "Amphibious Creature of the Deep"? Oh yeah, nevermind, I figured out why. Razz 
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
The last Yuzna produced film I saw was "Dagon" from 2001 (and it wasn't that great).  Here's his IMDB page:

How could I have missed "Amphibious Creature of the Deep"?  Oh yeah, nevermind, I figured out why.  Razz 
I love Dagon!  I bet I've watched it 25 times at least.

Such a creepy vibe in the first half. And I feel like I need an umbrella just to watch the movie.

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
S.D. wrote:
The last Yuzna produced film I saw was "Dagon" from 2001 (and it wasn't that great).  Here's his IMDB page:

How could I have missed "Amphibious Creature of the Deep"?  Oh yeah, nevermind, I figured out why.  Razz 
I love Dagon!  I bet I've watched it 25 times at least.

Such a creepy vibe in the first half.  And I feel like I need an umbrella just to watch the movie.
I'm an H.P. Lovecraft junkie and I have a tendency to not like any film adaptations of his work. LOL.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I almost asked about that. Very Happy 

Bad reviews of Dagon almost always are written by Lovecraft fans.  Since I've never been able to get into Lovecraft's written works I have no frame of reference from which to judge movie adaptations; I get to just take them at face value.

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Wow. That new car chase movie "Getaway" starring Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez is getting some of the worst reviews I've seen in recent memory. It is currently tracking at a whopping 2% on Rotten Tomatoes, a 4.0 rating on IMDB and a combined metacritic score of 21%. The little blurbs of the reviews on this page are hilarious...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/getaway/

"The only participant to emerge with its reputation intact--though not its paint job--is the Shelby Mustang muscle car, which also delivers the film's most nuanced and psychologically complex performance."

"Even in the realm of really bad movies, Getaway is a special kind of awful."

"The good news about "Getaway" is that it always uses real cars and drivers. The bad news is that it does not always use real actors or writers."

"For 89 minutes that feel like 89 hours, cars speed out of control and crash doing only PG-13 damage. The damage to your brain while watching it is incalculable."

I tend to make up my mind about films instead of relying on critics, but when almost EVERY critic in the country has the same reaction it's probably worth paying attention to them.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 pm

The last Yuzna film I saw was Beneath Still Waters, which was decent, though the ending kinda sucked. Amphibious wasn't bad either.

Don't really give a rat's ass what critics say about Getaway, I found to be a pretty fun film with good performances and eye-popping car-chases.

My tastes rarely ever align with most critics, and I find that very few critics are even worth paying attention to these days anyways(Dustin Putman is one of the few critics today that I have any real respect for) so I really don't give a damn how low a film's RT score, IMDB score OR metascore is(Ballistic Ecks Vs. Sever being one example)if a film looks good to me, i'm going to see it for myself no matter what and ignore the naysayers, and in the case of Getaway, i'm very happy that I did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 pm

There are a few specific critics that I almost always agree with, yet if I want to see something I won't let a review change my mind.  The overall scores from metacritic and elsewhere are just a good baseline for seeing how a movie is being perceived nationwide.  

I wasn't going to watch Getaway regardless of what the reviews said, I've got zero patience for the video game style car chase films, I'll go back and watch something like The French Connection or Ronin if I'm in the mood for good car chases that also have good actors, a good director and a good script working for it.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 pm

I liked Ronin but found it to be a tad overrated, I happen to be a gamer so I enjoy films like Getaway and The Fast And Furious series, I thought they were all well directed with good acting and good scripts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 pm

I liked the first Fast And Furious film, well-made action flick.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 11:28 am

S.D. wrote:
I like it too, but it was basically Point Break re-written.... with fast cars instead of surf boards
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:02 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I like it too, but it was basically Point Break re-written.... with fast cars instead of surf boards
There isn't a milisecond of originality in that film, but they handled the cliches in a convincing manner.  When you are making a straight genre film entry originality isn't always required (or almost never required depending on how you look at it), you just have to be able to convincingly pull off what is expected by the genre audience.

In reality the Fast & Furious series is this:

2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 202823_slide

lol! 
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Except unlike Twilight it has good acting in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Paul Walker is so wooden you could build a picnic table out of him. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
I strongly disagree, if you really want to see how good of an actor can be, then I would highly recommend you check out "Running Scared" as he really plays against type in that film.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

I strongly disagree, if you really want to see how good of an actor can be, then I would highly recommend you check out "Running Scared" as he really plays against type in that film.
Just glanced at that one on IMDB, since Vera Farmiga is in it I'll probably give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
We can agree on this! Running Scared was balls-out insane. It was one of those rare instances where a movie goes entirely OTT and at the same time is crafted extremely well. Everything about that film impressed me, including Walker, who has an emotional depth that you don't see in very many of his movies (although I would also recommend Joyride which was another surprise to me). Good recommendation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

The latest film from visionary director Afonso Cuaron (Children of Men, Prisoner of Azkaban) "Gravity" is shaping up to be the most well-reviewed movie of the year. It is currently sitting at 98% on metacritic and James Cameron just described it as "the best space film ever made".

One of the few films I've been REALLY excited about this year.

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Somehow the trailers for that film just don't excite me that much, I am looking forward to Riddick though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 at the movies - what is upcoming   2013 at the movies - what is upcoming - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2013 at the movies - what is upcoming
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next