Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then

Go down 
+22
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
MetalGuy71
Runicen
glassprison
brokentulsa
manny
Temple of Blood
Grimmo
80s Metal Lady
scottmitchell74
jstate
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Orion Crystal Ice
fingers
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 am

The newer Maiden era is barely even on my radar, as for Opeth, I haven't actively enjoyed a record the entire way through since 'Morningrise'...I am not a fan of the directions the guitar and production generally took after that record..also the bass being demoted...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 am

I can't think of one 70's band that I think is better now than they were back then. I still listen to and follow a lot of 70's bands, but even bands that I love like Kiss, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith, I'd be hard pressed to say their new material is BETTER than their classic era.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Overkill definitely. They are firing on all cylinders. Of course, they weren't crap in the past either. It might not be popular to say, but Motorhead has been killing it since '93. Some of their later day discs rival the classic material.

100% agree with this statement and their classic material still kicks ass, but since 1993 these guys have been on fire
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
As an Authority to all things Saxon [in my own mind], Anyone that says the Power Metal years are better than 79-84 needs to give me the number to their dealer. Or is under the age of 40, obviously. Or, if they are over 40, listened to too much Savatage and Helloween after they got off the Cure/Depeche Ca-Mode trip
they thought was super in high school.

Well, I will be 39 in a couple of weeks.

Saxon in the early 2000s was awesome! And Solid Ball Of Rock (1991) is excellent, too, and has several of my favorite Saxon tunes so, yeah, I prefer some of their post 1980s stuff (not all of it, though).

I recently revisited Denim and Leather and Crusader and was surprised how few songs I really liked off of them. I remember giving Denim a 5-star review on Amazon. Listening to it after several years, there are only 2-3 songs I really like. As for Crusader, "Sailing to America" is one of my all-time favorite Saxon songs and the title track is great, but the rest of the album was so-so to me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am

Don't worry about Saxy, his briefs got shrunk in the wash. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
as for Opeth, I haven't actively enjoyed a record the entire way through since 'Morningrise'...I am not a fan of the directions the guitar and production generally took after that record..also the bass being demoted...

The production on Morningrise is terrible, I generally listen to recent live versions of Advent (Royal Albert Hall) and The Night And The Silent Water (Roundhouse) when I'm in the mood for that material.

Since I didn't start listening to Opeth until 2008 my viewpoint of their material is probably very different than someone who has been listening to them since 1995. I've had correspondence with several people like myself who got interested in them for the Progressive Rock angle and then slowly started working through their catalog backward to see what path their journey took. I like all their albums, but to me they really started to come into their own on Still Life and later.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
as for Opeth, I haven't actively enjoyed a record the entire way through since 'Morningrise'...I am not a fan of the directions the guitar and production generally took after that record..also the bass being demoted...

The production on Morningrise is terrible, I generally listen to recent live versions of Advent (Royal Albert Hall) and The Night And The Silent Water (Roundhouse) when I'm in the mood for that material.

Which really says something as to how much I dislike the sterility of 'Blackwater Park' and so forth... Razz the guitar sound and mix is fatiguing, and I'm someone who will listen to ANYTHING....... plus, if I took all the songs I liked from all that stuff I could make one solid record out of it, but yeah..

When you visit 'Morningrise' though spin the whole thing.... it's a cliche but the production does add something.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 11:32 pm

the albums Sodom have released in the past 15 years are a lot better than the albums they released in the 80s. The album M16 would have to be their best album.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 11:48 pm

While they have not put out any bad albums I think W.A.S.P. gets better with every album...
Stryper
Pretty Maids

While I wouldn't say better than the old stuff but just as good as the old stuff....Y&T
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 2:07 am

Pretty Maids
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 3:04 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
As an Authority to all things Saxon [in my own mind], Anyone that says the Power Metal years are better than 79-84 needs to give me the number to their dealer.  Or is under the age of 40, obviously.  Or, if they are over 40, listened to too much Savatage and Helloween after they got off the Cure/Depeche Ca-Mode trip
they thought was super in high school.

Well, I will be 39 in a couple of weeks.

Saxon in the early 2000s was awesome!  And Solid Ball Of Rock (1991) is excellent, too, and has several of my favorite Saxon tunes so, yeah, I prefer some of their post 1980s stuff (not all of it, though).

I recently revisited Denim and Leather and Crusader and was surprised how few songs I really liked off of them.  I remember giving Denim a 5-star review on Amazon.  Listening to it after several years, there are only 2-3 songs I really like.  As for Crusader, "Sailing to America" is one of my all-time favorite Saxon songs and the title track is great, but the rest of the album was so-so to me.

Well, now I'm 41 (I didn't realize I was a member of this forum that long, LOL) and, after listening to all the Saxon albums during those polls, I can declare without doubt I like their later stuff best. I have a better appreciation for Call To Arms and Sacrifice and, due to their track record, have no reason to think their new album won't be another metal masterpiece. It is a testament to how great Saxon is. I don't think there is another band that came out of the 1970s and 1980s that I can say I like their post-2000 material best. In fact, I just got a Lionheart t-shirt I found on eBay from the UK in the mail yesterday. It's still my favorite Saxon album.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 8:07 am

Bonfire (especially now that they have David Reece)
Europe
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 am

This may have to do with when I got into his stuff, but I think Alice Cooper is on a hot streak lately.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare was a phenomenal album that was worthy of the sequel tag (the only one that can be said for - Operation: Mindcrime 2, anybody?) and makes me look forward to the next thing the Coop puts out.

Then again, I don't think AC hit his stride until the solo concept albums of the mid-70s originally. The original AC group was a good singles act, but I don't tend to like their albums that much - save for School's Out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 11:43 am

Quote :
While they have not put out any bad albums I think W.A.S.P. gets better with every album...

(cough) K.F.D.!(cough)

(cough)The Neon God!(cough)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I've always like latter day Stone Temple Pilots better than their first 2 albums. Once they washed all that icky grunge off of them with Tiny Music..., they found their own sound. And I like those first 2 as well.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

(cough) K.F.D.!(cough)

(cough)The Neon God!(cough)

Haven't heard K.F.D., but The Neon God Parts 1 & 2 are two of my favorite albums. I still play them often.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 8:14 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Which really says something as to how much I dislike the sterility of 'Blackwater Park' and so forth...  Razz   the guitar sound and mix is fatiguing, and I'm someone who will listen to ANYTHING.......   plus, if I took all the songs I liked from all that stuff I could make one solid record out of it, but yeah..

When you visit 'Morningrise' though spin the whole thing.... it's a cliche but the production does add something.

I got into Opeth via the Porcupine Tree connection (this was around the time In Absentia came out, so Steven Wilson could do no wrong in my eyes) and the first album I picked up was Blackwater Park, which is a muddy friggin' mess. I don't know what happened with that album because going back later to Still Life revealed an album with incredible production by comparison. I don't think the sterility hit until Deliverance, which is odd because Damnation was and is a masterpiece.

In some ways, I think they hit their peak of bad metal production with My Arms...Your Hearse and Blackwater Park with Still Life as the fluke in the middle they have been trying to recreate since. Just my take. I am very pleased with how "organic" the recent albums sound, even if the material hasn't exactly set the world on fire for me.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

The last two Symphony X albums are the only ones I've ever been able to get into.

Also, Ultimatum headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 am

I'd agree with Grave Digger.

I'd also add Sodom to the list. I like everything they recorded from 1999 until now better than anything they recorded before hand. Code Red, M-16 & War and Pieces are awesome!

Now way are Accept BETTER now than they were in the 80's. They are still great and putting out great music, but albums like Balls the Wall and Restless & Wild are heavy metal staples. To say that their last three albums are better just doesn't work for me.

Overkill? Maybe. I like all eras pretty equally.

Iron Maiden? No way. Not even a close IMO.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 10:22 am

Motorhead, I think alot of more modern material is better then the classics
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 2:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'd also add Sodom to the list. I like everything they recorded from 1999 until now better than anything they recorded before hand. Code Red, M-16 & War and Pieces are awesome!

Iron Maiden? No way. Not even a close IMO.

Agreed! IM are definitely far from their prime, in terms of new material. SODOM, I can see that as a possibility because their new stuff is strong and their old stuff was spotty.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 3:48 pm

I like the new Carcass album better than the very early stuff but nothing beats Heartwork. Same with Sodom I probably prefer the later records to the first couple but Agent Orange is untouchable.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

I personally like Grave Digger's 80s efforts more then their more recent material, it's not bad it just sounds like a totally different band to me.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 pm

HOUSE OF LORDS
NELSON
WINGER
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 5:18 pm

ultmetal wrote:

As much as I love all eras of Sodom, I find that they had the most musical creativity between 1984 and 1992. After that, they released a few odd albums that weren't necessarily bad, but didn't live up to what they were once capable of. I agree that Code Red and M-16 are great albums, but the last two albums are a bit tired.

That "Sacred Warpath" song reveals a band that's trying to resurrect the Persecution Mania style, and that's my favorite Sodom album -- Expurse of Sodomy is its lost twin brother. I think Tapping the Vein has the best production, and you know how much of a beast that Harris Johns guy is.

Anyway, it could be argued that the Japanese Sabbat is probably much better now than they were in the past. Sabbatrinity is one of my main favorites, and it only came out in 2011.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next