Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then

Go down 
+22
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
MetalGuy71
Runicen
glassprison
brokentulsa
manny
Temple of Blood
Grimmo
80s Metal Lady
scottmitchell74
jstate
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Orion Crystal Ice
fingers
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Empty
PostSubject: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 am

The bands that IMO are better now than they were back in the 80s would have to be Overkill and Kreator. the recent two albums by kreator are brilliant and I reckon Mille petroza and Co have evolved into better musicians dont get me wrong their 80s stuff is good as well.
IMO Overkill are alot better now than they were back in the 80s one of their best albums would have to be Killbox 13 and the albums after that as well which are better than the albums they recorded in the 80s and early 90s.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

Grave Digger, compare 'Heavy Metal Breakdown' or 'War Games' to 'Ballads of a Hangman', 'Clash of the Gods'....oh yeeaaaahhh.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm

I enjoy the last two Accept albums much more then any of their early albums.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Primordial have progressed nicely over the years and I much preferred Bathory's later stuff to the early Black Metal style. ( i really liked both Nordland records) although obviously there is no 'now' with Bathory (R.I.P)

Also I thought that Onslaught's 'Sound of Violence' was probably their best work.

Last edited by Boris2008 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm

First one that came to mind for me was KREATOR! I love their more recent stuff.

As well, HIRAX. Not a popular opinion, but I far prefer New Age of Terror to their first two releases.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 pm

My favorite Overkill lineup is the Blitz/Verni/Comeau/Marino/Mallare era of the mid/late '90s. Even though they're not exactly "new" anymore I feel that From the Underground and Below and Necroshine are two of their all time best.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Overkill definitely. They are firing on all cylinders. Of course, they weren't crap in the past either. It might not be popular to say, but Motorhead has been killing it since '93. Some of their later day discs rival the classic material.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Wow - I disagree with almost everything that has been said in this thread so far [surprised?]!

But I will throw Annihilator into the mix. Except for the last few albums where Jeff went bonkers imo, his late 90's-early 00's albums killed the early stuff.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Iron Maiden.

Their post-reunion stuff kills most of the early stuff, IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Iron Maiden.

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Tumblr_kveo2bI8Sy1qa3ucjo1_500

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm

ultmetal wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Iron Maiden.

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Tumblr_kveo2bI8Sy1qa3ucjo1_500

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then 51V0W4D0KYL._SL500_AA300_

Bill Cosby said so.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't know if it's better but I listen to the Maiden reunion stuff more then the early works. And I like the Owens stuff with Iced Earth better then Matt. (ducks)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Iron Maiden.

I don't know if it's better, but it is just as good. That said, I do listen to the post-reunion albums a lot more than the classics these days!!!!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Quote :
It might not be popular to say, but Motorhead has been killing it since '93. Some of their later day discs rival the classic material.

I'm with you all the way on this.

A few others that I feel have stuff these days that rivals the past....

Saxon & Rush

Not to suggest that it is better now, but just that it holds up to the greatness of the past.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Iron Maiden.

I don't know if it's better, but it is just as good. That said, I do listen to the post-reunion albums a lot more than the classics these days!!!!

I basically feel the same way, I think they are different now but just as good as the early days. They've matured while still sounding like nobody but themselves, I have the highest possible respect for that.

Overkill has released albums I've liked throughout their career, I just prefer the more raw vibe of their earlier albums with Bobby.

I also agree that Motorhead has released some great albums later in their career, particularly Sacrifice and We Are Motorhead which I think are just as good as any of their early 80s albums.

Another band I think has improved musically over time (while also branching out stylistically) is Opeth. Mikael is the only remaining member but he's improved the group by consistently hiring more talented musicians to fill vacancies whenever they happen. That method of "upgrading" has allowed them to branch out into areas that probably few would have imagined when they started.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Overkill - Yes!
Kreator - Yes
Accept - YES!!
Sodom - Yes

Iron Maiden? No way, their new stuff is good, but never will it hold up to those classic 80's albums.

I like the direction Thrash has gone the last 5-7 years.

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

I don't know about now, but Killing Ground and Lionheart from the early 2000s are my favorite Saxon albums. It's not even close. I didn't like the most recent Saxon album I listened to on Spotify, so maybe their best era for me has gone.

Totally disagree about Accept and Iron Maiden. I can't believe anything Accept does will match Restless And Wild--Metal Heart.

Some of you mention listening to post reunion Maiden more than earlier Maiden. Well, if it is new and fresh, you probably will listen to it more than albums heard hundreds of times.

Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Bolt Thrower springs to mind, for me. I thought Those Once Loyal was their best yet. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 pm

None.

(BTW, I agree that "From the Underground and Below" is a really underrated disc.)
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

As an Authority to all things Saxon [in my own mind], Anyone that says the Power Metal years are better than 79-84 needs to give me the number to their dealer. Or is under the age of 40, obviously. Or, if they are over 40, listened to too much Savatage and Helloween after they got off the Cure/Depeche Ca-Mode trip
they thought was super in high school.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey, I was never into the Cure or Depeche mode. Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then 395375
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Hey, I was never into the Cure or Depeche mode. Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then 395375

Let me restate that then DH. Poison and Mega-Dave in 88.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 pm

Boo-Ya???
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Mega Dave, yes. Actually, I like almost all the eras of Saxon, remember, I did many of those reviews in the discography thread.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Mega Dave, yes. Actually, I like almost all the eras of Saxon, remember, I did many of those reviews in the discography thread.

That takes up too much attention. I still only come on here to stir the pot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then   Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal bands that were formed in the 70s/80s & early 90s that are better now than they were back then
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next