Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overkill: Under the influence

Go down 
+15
Witchfinder
metalinmyveins
Grimmo
Required Fields
SpectreFate
Dark Horseman
James B.
Chrome Locust
Thrasher73
Leatherface
martinsane
Fat Freddy
mc666
Gilbert
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Overkill: Under the influence Empty
PostSubject: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 am

Your thoughts on this album?

One of the best OVERKILL material IMO headbanger
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 am

I prefer The Years of Decay

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 am

"Hello From the Gutter" is a signature track. That one never gets old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 am

Superb release ! I really like the 2nd half of the album from Drunken Wisdom to Overkill III.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Hello From the Gutter" is a signature track. That one never gets old.

True that!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 am

Very good record, but from what I heard it's Blitz's least favorite Overkill record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 am

Leatherface wrote:
it's Blitz's least favorite Overkill record.

Yeah, he has said in interviews that he likes the songs on it but as a whole it's "overproduced" and just didn't turn out the way he envisioned it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

My all time favorite Overkill album
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 am

Whenever I go for a walk I have Overkill on my MP3 - The Killing Kind is my favourite album by them. They've gone a tad too thrash lately for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 am

https://youtu.be/cqGtcmfJuQg

Best ever Overkill track.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am

Drunken Wisdom is one of my favorite Overkill songs, always loved the slow & heavy dirge of that tune contrasted by the completely wonderful and RIDICULOUS guitar solo.

The title track is a classic 80s metal tune and has one of the most memorable riffs from that era.

I think the main reason Under The Influence isn't discussed quite as much is because it is sandwiched in between two superior albums (Taking Over & The Years Of Decay).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am

Chrome Locust wrote:
a tad too thrash

not possible

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 am

Quote :
Chrome Locust wrote:
a tad too thrash

not possible
I don't even know what this means. They were pretty much thrash to begin with and have mainly added some groove the last few records.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

I don't even know what this means. They were pretty much thrash to begin with and have mainly added some groove the last few records.

They've had "groove" since the beginning, just don't tell the thrashers since they believe groove is a 4 letter word.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm

I'd like to hear the new incarnation of the band re-record some of the old tracks. Bobby Gustafson was not a good guitarist when compared to Linsk and Tailer, IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:12 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I'd like to hear the new incarnation of the band re-record some of the old tracks. Bobby Gustafson was not a good guitarist when compared to Linsk and Tailer, IMO.

I think Bobby was a fantastic player with much more personality than anyone they've had since. Maybe not technically as proficient as the people they have now, but ALOT more fun to listen to.

When it comes to metal I'll take "rough and ragged" over "polished precision" any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

I think Bobby was a fantastic player with much more personality than anyone they've had since. Maybe not technically as proficient as the people they have now, but ALOT more fun to listen to.

Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Razz

I see someone wore their hat today....

Overkill: Under the influence Prick_hat-p148395000071320882bf1bc_400

lol!
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Razz

I see someone wore their hat today....

Overkill: Under the influence Prick_hat-p148395000071320882bf1bc_400

lol!

Nah, I'm just laughing because you and I can't agree on anything. But I like you for some reason. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

I like Years of Decay because of Playing With Fire/Skullcruser, such an awesome song. And with groove.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 pm

S.D. wrote:

They've had "groove" since the beginning, just don't tell the thrashers since they believe groove is a 4 letter word.

Alot of the original thrash bands had other aspects to them but straight balls out thrash. That is how I differentiate speed from thrash. And groove is not a 4 letter word. That would be jazz Laughing very hard

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

S.D. is goint to go all Tate on your butt now. lol!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Great album!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 am

Horrorscope and I Hear Black are also among my favourites, the latter being my introduction to Overkill
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 am

Yep, big fan here. Have all their albums, compilations and live cds.

Apart from Hello From the Gutter, Shred is another one of my favorites on Under the Influence.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overkill: Under the influence   Overkill: Under the influence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overkill: Under the influence
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next