Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What got u into the music - what was ur first album?

Go down 
+25
kropotkin
stepcousin
Leatherface
Lari
Alex Dee Rokket
Boris2008
Wurthless
adrian
nevermore
Lazlo Toth
SideShowDisaSter
Addy
EvyMetal
James B.
Dark Horseman
DallasBlack
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
80s Metal Lady
thejokeriv
manny
tohostudios
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Chrome Locust
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Empty
PostSubject: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 pm

A few of us old farts will have a laugh here. My story was, I had these female babysitters who were Zepp and Sabbath heads in about 1975/76, around that time. As soon as my folks left, BANG!!!!!!! On went Sabbs and Zepp, blew me apart. Never looked back. headbanger

Heavy metal forever

PS: My first album was (to buy) Highway To Hell, second, British Steel. First hard rock borrowed when I was six from babysitter, Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 12:50 pm

First album (tape) I ever owned was AC/DC's Let There Be Rock, which I received as a Christmas present in 1981. (Was that really...*gulp*... 30+ years ago?) I was eleven years old. The rest is history, as they say. I have since gone through two cassette copies, one vinyl LP, and a CD edition. It's one of the albums I want buried with me when I die because it started it all for me!!! headbanger

I had asked my bro for either the then-current Back In Black or Dirty Deeds re-do, both of which were hot items amongst my sixth-grade classmates, but I was so happy to have anything by the band that I didn't complain.

My brother told me years later that the reason he picked Let There Be Rock instead was because it was a "Super Saver" series edition that was a couple of bucks cheaper than the other AC/DC titles on the rack. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 pm

1974 or thereabouts. I lived with my Grandmother at the time and she always had the stereo going at the house. My Uncle moved out to attend college and left behind his collection of 45s and some LPs. I asked my Grandmother to play them for me so she would load up the 45 changer (remember those?) and we'd play the entire stack, then flip them over to play the b-sides.

That stack of 45s included The Beatles, The Doors, Steppenwolf, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Beach Boys, Deep Purple (the Hush single) and many others. Even though I was only 4 years old I fell in love with the music and then proceeded to drive my Grandmother crazy asking for them to be played over and over.

Later that year I moved in with my Mother who was a rocker/hippie and my music education took off in earnest. For Christmas 1974 she bought me the album "What Were Onces Vices Are Now Habits" by The Doobie Brothers and also picked up the soundtrack to American Graffiti. She also introduced me to the joys of FM radio in the mid-70s.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:16 pm

The first album I remember having was Zubin Mehta Conducts Suites from Star Wars and Close Encounters. One of my friends had an older brother that was listening to AC/DC,Sabbath, Zep and Foghat. I vividly remember hearing Sabbath for the first time and finding it very scary. The first album I bought with my own money was Dep Lep - Pyromania. Before that, I listened to what the older kids were playing. 1984 was the year I got Van Halen 1984, Priest - Screaming and Defenders, Crue - Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil. I haven't looked back since.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 pm

First album I ever bought was Jethro Tull's "Songs From The Wood". I don't really remember what got me into music or that album though.

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
First album I ever bought was Jethro Tull's "Songs From The Wood". I don't really remember what got me into music or that album though.

A fine way to start your musical journey!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 1:45 pm

It seems like AC/DC was the common band that was intro for most of us. At an anti-rock rally they played "Highway To Hell' which I thought was the greatest thing I had ever heard in my life, the next day bought the wrong AC/DC album 'If You Want Blood..." and it went from there
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:00 pm

My first album was KISS - Destroyer. Got it when I was 7 years old (in 1976 as a new release.) Had friends with older siblings that had other rock albums of the time. For my 9th birthday in 1978, someone gave me Van Halen's debut album. Kept collecting all the KISS releases. When I was 9/10, I lived in Monterrey, CA and the public library had a huge collection of rock albums, of which I would check out KISS, Ted Nugent, etc....

Picked up some AC/DC along the way (got Dirty Deeds as a "new" US release, already had High Voltage, Back In Black, then FTATRWSY as a new release).

1983 was a watershed year in opening my horizons to all things metal - got Def Leppard's Pyromania, Quiet Riot's Metal Health, Motorhead's Iron Fist, Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind, etc, etc....

1984 kept up the record collecting trend, but by this time I had discovered the Metal underground (Metallica, Slayer, Mercyful Fate, etc) and I never stopped buy new music!
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:08 pm

When I was a kid, reruns of The Monkees TV show aired every weekday and I fell in love with them and the music. My parents and I would hit the thrift and used record stores for Monkees records. They also bought me a Dave Clark Five record one time and that got me into their stuff, too. I still have most of the LPs and 45s they bought me as well as memorabilia. Some, like Instant Replay and Head, were expensive. The guys at the used record stores always remarked on how rare they were. One guy wanted $75 for A Barrel Full Of Monkees saying it was their rarest record. That's too much even now, and this was back in the early '80s. My parents passed on it. I'm glad they did because it's just a greatest hits record.

Last edited by 80s Metal Lady on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:10 pm

my mother & father were huge music fans. him with classic rock, & my mother with country. so i grew up always hearing music in the house. i loved my dads albums & was always borrowing them. everything from Boston & AC/DC to Purple & Priest. the first album i ever had to myself was given to me by my older sisters boyfriend when i was 8. they wanted to make out & i was pestering them. he gave it to me to go away. it was Slayer's Hell Awaits.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:16 pm

After my dad's "Best OF" Udo CD I went into the store and bought (well, technically not me) "No Limits", "Holy" and "Faceless World". Liked some of the tracks, but still preferred Rammstien at the time. Then in summer "Faceless World" finally blew my mind. That guitar sound just \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm

1991: Metallica-Enter Sandman on MTV is what got me. So obviously my first metal album was the controversial Black Album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 2:49 pm

FM radio in 6th grade. Would hear a radio single and buy the album back when DJ's could pick more of their music.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:09 pm

I got ABB-"At Fillmore East" for my 6th birthday. The first with my own cash was, if memory serves me correctly, "Houses Of The Holy" by Zeppelin. I got so much music kicked down to me in the early/mid 70's, it was great. Having blonde sisters in their 20's can really help out a youngsters fascination with headphones and vinyl.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Queen - Greatest Hits (1992 edition)
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I would have to say my first REAL music exposure that I can remember is Queen with the movie Flash Gordon. This was 1980

I would say that my first album was a recorded tape of Stryper's Soldiers Under Command & To Hell With the Devil, That I would say awakened the musical beast within but my tastes are so broad and vary. But it was this album that opened the floodgates of music for me. Though the seeds of it had been laid down by the music of Queen and David Bowie
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Probably would have been around '88 or '89. My brother was into hard rock/heavy metal. I used to sneak into his room and check out his tapes. I snuck out and listened to the ones that looked 'cool'. The first one to hook me was Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time. The one that REALLY spoke to me, though, was Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What?! That album started my lifelong love affair with thrash metal.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Lazlo Toth

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 8:40 pm

The first album I bought was News of the World by Queen. The first NWOBHM band I heard was Def Leppard's High n Dry. I got into Back in Black about the same time.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 8:44 pm

My parents were into music especially my mom who was into stuff like Elvis, The Beatles, CCR . So that was my first exposure to music. My neighbors who were a little older than me turned me onto stuff like KISS, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, VH and I was hooked.

My first album was KISS' "Love Gun".

Last edited by nevermore on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 9:23 pm

My dad raised me on Mortification. Around middle school I kind of got away from it listening to stuff like Rage Against the Machine but then in high school I discovered Yngwie, Megadeth, etc. and my love for metal was truly ignited. Yngwie - Marching Out was my first metal album that I actually owned
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 1:18 am

I think the first album I bought with my own money was a Sabbath greatest hits collection, probably around 6 or 7 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 am

Motorhead Ace of Spades which I promptly swapped for Judas Priest British Steel as I only really liked a couple of tracks. (I was only nine years old!)
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Iron Maiden and Metallica got me into metal. Earlier, Queen got me into music generally.

First albums I got around when I was 11 - 12 were Babylon AD's Self-Titled and a live Maiden album, A Real Dead One.

I started realising my interest in music and metal around when I was 15 - 16 during the mid-late 90s. At that stage I had started listening to Metallica, Slayer pretty much the standard fare metal bands that most people get into. Well okay most people who were my age at the time were getting into. I was also into Fear Factory, Machine Head, Pantera, Sepultura - the bands that had reached some level of popularity and were accessible to me at the time in the pre-internet era.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 6:44 pm

I am of the MTV generation, so the first songs that I thought were awesome obviously came with music videos:

Europe - Final Countdown
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Queen - Radio Gaga

I never bought albums until I was 14 and angsty, and the first ones I got were

Metallica - Metallica
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

EDIT: What really kind of got me into heavy metal was hearing my friend's Iron Maiden tapes. But I was already kind of receptive to that kind of loud and powerful music, so I guess I'm just lucky he wasn't into Alice in Chains or anything, or I'd probably be posting in a Heart of Grunge forum right now, if such a thing exists.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 pm

In sixth class, I'm about 11, and I really wanted the JP British Steel album. In those days we'd get 50p (about a buck) lunch money for the canteen every day. I saved all my coins and starved for 2 weeks to save that. 4.50 It was a real old school, and i hid the money under the shutters. I still have the album to this day. I'm 43 now and bought it in I think 1981. A nice ancedote that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got u into the music - what was ur first album?   What got u into the music - what was ur first album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got u into the music - what was ur first album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next