Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite NWOBHM Songs

Go down 
+28
kyleblack
Boris2008
SAHB Healer
firestarter
Lari
jettafiend
trock67
jstate
James B.
Andy
Chrome Locust
MetalGuy71
allthingsmetal
brokentulsa
Citanul
chewie
Required Fields
Wurthless
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
ZombieHavoc
TheGreatDuck
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
BearOnUnicycle
80s Metal Lady
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Quote :
It's not really a sound, it's more of a scene.

Sound doesn't even come close to being applicable.

Just listen to the variety on those comp albums mentioned above someplace.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 7:13 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
Pyromania's kinda on the borderline - it's both the first album of their hair metal era, and the last album of their NWOBHM era, even though I don't think Rock of Ages would qualify as metal, but there's some metallic songs on the album, like Stagefright or Billy's Got a Gun, but they also sound kinda poppier due to the production.
And while someone who considers Helloween NWOBHM is clearly not very knowledgeable in metal, I'd still agree with him that DL were a hair band for like a decade or so.

While it's just semantics, of course, I feel they are only "hair metal" due to circumstance. They didn't have the hair (most of them), the attitude, or even really the style of what I would consider really real hair metal, like Poison or Pretty Boy Floyd. Again, not putting down hair metal, as PBF is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Also, really, I feel NWOBHM is almost as much a label based on time and location as it is musical style. Otherwise, Tobruk, for one example, would never be thrown into the same category as Angel Witch and Iron Maiden.

On the opposite end, bands like Venom and Atomkraft do not sound like Witchfynde or Satan.

Though, to be fair, I still call The Cure a punk band, even though "Friday I'm in Love" is a far cry from anything on Three Imaginary Boys. Just kinda how I am, I guess. (I do enjoy "Friday I'm in Love", as well.)

Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Friday-the-cure-vs-rebecca-black
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm

allthingsmetal wrote:

But I have recently discovered "Tysondog". Never heard of them. never heard anyone mention them--just sort of stumbled across them. They are easily my favorite NWBHM band. I have no idea how I have totally missed out on them for the last 30-something years of my life.

Anyone else familiar with them?

I've been listening to their Beware Of The Dog album on Spotify over and over. I like the whole album, but "Painted Heroes" and "In The End" are stand-outs. I'm probably going to buy the last four tracks of that album on Amazon. Then I'll start listening to Crimes Of Insanity.
Back to top Go down
trock67
Metal novice
Metal novice
trock67

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Angel Witch- Confused
Aragorn- Black Ice
Diamond Head- Lightning to the Nations
Holocaust- It Don't Matter To Me
More- Blood and Thunder
Samson- Nice Girl
Saxon- Princess of the Night
Tank- Laughing in the Face of Death
Trespass- One of These Days
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm

What!?!? No one has mentioned...

OR

Back to top Go down
trock67
Metal novice
Metal novice
trock67

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Mythra- Death and Destiny
I knew I was forgetting something.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
allthingsmetal wrote:

But I have recently discovered "Tysondog". Never heard of them. never heard anyone mention them--just sort of stumbled across them. They are easily my favorite NWBHM band. I have no idea how I have totally missed out on them for the last 30-something years of my life.

I've been listening to their Beware Of The Dog album on Spotify over and over. I like the whole album, but "Painted Heroes" and "In The End" are stand-outs. I'm probably going to buy the last four tracks of that album on Amazon. Then I'll start listening to Crimes Of Insanity.

Both albums are very good and I have a hard time getting them out of my cd player. Great NWOBHM.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 am

Forgot about my most listened NWOBHM band, how could I!

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 6:37 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Omega "The Prophet" - really a different one

After having read this thread, I just had to buy this album. I got a pre-order on the new release coming out this January. Just ordered. Got a good deal when I ordered with other stuff (new Saxon, Circle II Circle, PC 69, Helloween) and it comes with demo tracks. Looking forward to it. Thanks! I thought I knew all the NWOBHM bands that I'd personally like. My taste in music is a bit weird and unique and severely outdated.

Beyond this Omega album that I didn't get (or hear) yet, my favourite NWOBHM acts are Raven, Saxon, Maiden, Diamond Head, Tank etc. The usual, I guess.

Regarding the Priest and NWOBHM thing, my take is that I'd like to think their 1978 to 1980 albums (Stained Class through British Steel) do count. They did 'hop on' the movement, or bandwagoned so to speak and ended up both being a huge part of the scene that revived heavy metal, and also being a band that hugely benefited from it. The same kids that went to see Iron Maiden had their cardboard guitars cut out to match those of Downing and Tipton. And in many cases, vice versa.

Yes, yes, Priest were older, but they embraced the scene. I've read their unofficial biography. The NWOBHM was the first movement and the first 'genre' Priest had a place in.

I'd also like to add Dio-era Black Sabbath to the scene. It was essentially a different band from Ozzy-era Sabbath and rose to new heights with Dio and especially among fans of that specific type of music, ie. British heavy metal fans of the era of NWOBHM. A few years earlier it was Rainbow and Priest that had kept the fire burning, now they were totally in the middle of it all and for the first time their music became 'hip'. Sabbath was very British and they had just become more metal than ever. Who else sees the connection?

Motorhead pretty much doesn't count because they went through that movement like they have gone through every movement and fad throughout music history with hardly any adjustment or desire to conform. They always were and always will be just Motorhead, they don't necessarily belong to anything. However, Priest and Sabbath of that era... I think they do.
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 3:50 am

in no partcular order

Sabre - Miracle Man
Persian Risk - Riding High
Savage - Ain`t No Fit Place
Avenger - Hot 'n' Heavy Express
Grand Prix - Shout
Def Leppard - Let It Go
Tank - Blood, Guts & Beer
Rock Goddess - Satisfied Then Crucified
Saxon - Never Surrender
Heavy Pettin' - Roll The Dice
Satan - Ice Man
EF Band - Right On Time
The Handsome Beasts - Local Heroes
Fist - SS Giro
Tokyo Blade - Powergame
Hellanbach - Times Are Getting Harder
Venom - Black Metal
Samurai - Gotta Rock Tonight
Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
Battleaxe - Chopper Attack
Chateaux - White Steel
Iron Maiden - 22 Acacia Avenue
Demon - Don`t Break The Circle
Jaguar - Axe Crazy
Sweet Savage - Killing Time

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 am

allthingsmetal wrote:

Yes, definitely some T-Dog. One of the harder rocking bands of the era, kinda rough hewn and Priest influenced.
Also it's nice to see some of the melodic bands of that era mentioned- Grand Prix, White Spirit, Tobruk. How about Legend?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
allthingsmetal wrote:

Yes, definitely some T-Dog. One of the harder rocking bands of the era, kinda rough hewn and Priest influenced.
Also it's nice to see some of the melodic bands of that era mentioned- Grand Prix, White Spirit, Tobruk. How about Legend?

I LOVE Legend, and Jaguar, especially A Death in the Nursery!! What a phenomenal album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Not much of a Maiden fan but Remember Tomorrow blew me away, still does.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 pm

The Lepps and Pyromania gets mentioned a lot. It was not NWOBHM, it was a pandering to the Yank market. 'High And Dry' is an all time classic NWOBHM album, never liked Lepps after that album.

Funny story, as a metal headed teenager in a private school I got bullied, so I'd go to the bus stop a good walk up from the one all the other douchebags used down the road from the school. That particular bus stop was opposite Def Leppards rented house where the writing of Pyromania took place - I often saw them coming and going - I used to (as a 13 or 14 year old kid) envy Rick Allen swaggering out in his shades and longish hair. Here I am getting the crap beaten out of me on a daily basis dreaming of being the guy across the f,ucking road - next I saw of him he was minus an arm. So, the old Chinese proverb, be careful what you wish for. In case u think I'm BSing, the house they rented was in St Helens Ave, Booterstown, Blackrock Co Dublin.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Even without an arm, being Rick Allen would be pretty sweet. Still the drummer in a band that was on top of the world during their Hysteria period.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:00 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Even without an arm, being Rick Allen would be pretty sweet. Still the drummer in a band that was on top of the world during their Hysteria period.

True metal lady - but I also saw how messed up he was; going from 2 arms to 1 in the blink of an eye is shattering. Women see beyond that as you're not as shallow as men - but, still and all, pretty rough for the guy. A guy I went to school with knew him as he lived beside the house Rick rented, I never asked him about the crash, dumb of me. I just saw the poor sod from my bus stop minus an arm.

To add insult to injury, this guy who drank in the local metal bar, ran onto the stage, hoofed up the drum riser and tore the drum stick from Rick's hand. Smiley is as hard as they come, and he got a right kicking from security for doing it. I admit I laughed my head off at the time seeing somebody I know have the nerve to do that - uncool though.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I really respected Def Leppard for standing by Allen and allowing him a chance to adapt and re-learn to play the drums as it were with one arm and two feet. Makes me wonder how many other bands would have done that or just gotten a replacement. KISS, for example, probably would've just replaced him.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 8:39 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Makes me wonder how many other bands would have done that or just gotten a replacement. KISS, for example, probably would've just replaced him.

KISS would have hired a two armed drummer and make him have plastic surgery so that he looked like Rick Allen. erm allegedly.

I saw what I think was RA's first post accident gig (Donnington 86) and although I really hated Def Leppard, I couldn't help but cheer him on. I think that everyone thought that the accident would be the end of him.
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 am

Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

^^this.
I know I have mentioned this a lot about Tysondog but I recently heard them and they have quickly become one of my favorite bands (NWOBHM or otherwise).
Certainly more aggressive than the "typical" early 80's NWOBHM band.
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 am

I reworked my list and gave it some links. One song each band.

1. Savage - Ain`t No Fit Place
2. Saxon - Power And The Glory demo-version
3. Def Leppard - Let It Go
4. Persian Risk - Riding High
5. Rock Goddess - Satisfied Then Crucified
6. Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
7. Sabre - Miracle Man
8. Tank - That`s What Dreams Are Made Of
9. Avenger - Hot 'n' Heavy Express
10. Iron Maiden - 22 Acacia Avenue
11. Venom - Sacrifice
12. Grand Prix - Shout
13. Raven - Hard Ride only "Stay Hard"-version available
14. Satan - Ice Man
15. Demon - Don`t Break The Circle
16. Chateaux - White Steel
17. Hellanbach - Times Are Getting Harder
18. EF Band - Right On Time no clip available
19. Fist - SS Giro
20. Cloven Hoof - Gates Of Gehenna demo-version
21. Jaguar - Axe Crazy
22. Battleaxe - Dirty Rocker
23. Samson - Test Of Time
24. Tysondog - Dog Soldiers
25. Girlschool - Hit & Run "Revisited"-version
26. Heavy Pettin' - Roll The Dice
27. Tokyo Blade - Powergame
28. Elixir - Pandora`s Box
29. Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
30. Rage - Silver & Gold
31. The Handsome Beasts - Local Heroes
32. Sweet Savage - Killing Time single-version
33. Tygers Of Pan Tang - Euthanasia live
34. Desolation Angels - Fury
35. Grim Reaper - Now Or Never Demo-Version
36. Crucifixion - Take It Or Leave It
37. Tröjan - Icehouse
38. Samurai - Gotta Rock Tonight
39. Blitzkrieg - Armageddon
40. Virtue - High Treason
41. Soldier - Storm Of Steel
42. Tytan - Far Cry
43. Gillan - Future Shock
44. Dealer - Epitaph live
45. Blade Runner - Too Far, Too Late
46. TNT - Rockin` The Night
47. Steel - All Systems Go
48. Atomkraft - Rich Bich
49. Axis - Messiah single-version
50. Baby Tuckoo - Hot Wheels

Last edited by firestarter on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Would Vandenbergs first album be NWOBHM? If so add that to my list.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Would Vandenbergs first album be NWOBHM? If so add that to my list.

I'd say no since they were Dutch.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for taking he time to make your list, firestarter! I've run across some of those in my searches, but not all, so I'll definitely check out some of them!

(P.S. TNT is Norwegian).

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:

(P.S. TNT is Norwegian).

Not the same band Wink

PostSubject: Re: Favorite NWOBHM Songs   Favorite NWOBHM Songs - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite NWOBHM Songs
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next