Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)

Go down 
+8
chewie
Wurthless
tohostudios
Chrome Locust
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
James B.
Tur-Thalion
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 pm

This thread reminds me that I need to check out his solo stuff. I'm just now looking into Porcupine Tree more in-depth.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 pm

I FINALLY bought Grace For Drowning a couple of weeks ago!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 am

chewie wrote:
I FINALLY bought Grace For Drowning a couple of weeks ago!

That one probably takes the longest to really sink in of his solo albums, very rewarding though. The live versions of that material are even better.

Insurgentes is probably the easiest for people coming directly from the Porcupine Tree stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm

The first video has been released, another amazing animated film from the same director as the Drag Ropes video. This is the title track and is coincidentally the mellowest song on the album.

Link below:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Eh. Boring. And God, I hate that autotune warble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:

That's not autotune it's an older voice box synthesizer that has been in use since the 70s.

This is the final song on the album and is the mellowest track, it's not indicative of the overall sound of the record. Each song varies widely in style and instrumentation. Personally I think it's a lovely song and the arrangement is exceptional.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 am

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
That's not autotune it's an older voice box synthesizer that has been in use since the 70s.
Oh. Vintage autotune. My bad. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 am

Think of it as a Talk Box used with keyboards instead of a guitar.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:50 am

I really like it, actually. And the video was pretty cool too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

so i had some time to finally watch the video and i enjoyed the song. I am interested to hear the other songs.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 am

Awesome. Another creepy, depressing video.

Not bad actually, but I'd want to hear more songs before I'd get it. I know you said that that particular track is the mellowest on the album, but I'd need something slightly more upbeat. Listening to a whole album of this might cause me to open a vein in a warm tub.

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am

Musically the rest of the album is complex progressive rock, lyrically each song is a "tale of the macabre" so don't expect anything too happy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 am

S.D. wrote:
Musically the rest of the album is complex progressive rock, lyrically each song is a "tale of the macabre" so don't expect anything too happy.

I really enjoy the Storm Corrosion album, but it's definately "mood music". I wouldn't expect Mr. Wilson to all of the sudden switch to "kittens & sunshine", but his stuff has to be taken in small doses.

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 pm

MG, I would still recommend getting the album "Insurgentes", it's one of his best overall.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

S.D. wrote:
MG, I would still recommend getting the album "Insurgentes", it's one of his best overall.

Hmmmmm. Maybe.

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

I have actually owned Grace For Drowning for several months, but finally cracked it open the other day (you fellow CD addicts know how that goes). Great album, but what really struck me was the amazing production. Man, I can't remember the last CD I heard with actual dynamics!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Infinite wrote:
I have actually owned Grace For Drowning for several months, but finally cracked it open the other day (you fellow CD addicts know how that goes). Great album, but what really struck me was the amazing production. Man, I can't remember the last CD I heard with actual dynamics!

Wilson has become an amazing producer/engineer who loves having lots of dynamic range in his recordings. At least there are a few people out there that still know what an album should sound like.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I really enjoy the Storm Corrosion album, but it's definately "mood music". I wouldn't expect Mr. Wilson to all of the sudden switch to "kittens & sunshine", but his stuff has to be taken in small doses.

the Storm corrosion is very good but it is definitely mood music.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Awesome. Another creepy, depressing video.

Not bad actually, but I'd want to hear more songs before I'd get it. I know you said that that particular track is the mellowest on the album, but I'd need something slightly more upbeat. Listening to a whole album of this might cause me to open a vein in a warm tub.

I just ordered me a copy of Raven.... I need me a good dose of "mood music".

It's on sale ($5.99) here if anyone else is so inclined...
EDIT: Sales over. Move along.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm

got the cd/dvd version for $8. Sounds great in Quad!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 pm

I've decided this is my favorite of Wilson's solo work, as much as I enjoyed HCE. Each track possesses its own flavor yet fits within that 70's prog mold perfectly. None of it drags--what I like about Wilson's craft is that each section is meant to be carefully composed, made profound and direct as a result. I always find myself humming pieces of this album.

Luminol - The proggiest of the tracks; you could list of over a dozen names in referencing influences here. The bass line is infectious. The synths add a rich ambience. My favorite section is the half-time rondo toward the end. It sounds immense on the Blu-Ray surround mix.

Drive Home - A bit more radio-friendly (hey, I wouldn't mind if they played this on the radio) with a haunting melody, and Govan's solo is a building madness (is that an e-bow he uses?).

The Holy Drinker - Some fantastic hard rock motifs here with a heavy organ. This is the heaviest track on the album. The final section is scary as hell with a patch from hell promoting all sorts of darkness.

The Pin Drop - The most straight-forward track and honestly my least favorite, although it is enjoyable. Basically it's verse-chorus-verse-chorus and sounds more like Porcupine Tree material. Instantly memorable.

The Watchmaker - Now, here is a song that is breathtaking in the way it changes mood with each section at the drop of a hat. We start of hauntingly light and mellow, move to a jazzy Kansas-like set of solos, introduce a major-key verse of ethereal beauty, and BOOM it becomes disturbing and atonal as hell (okay, not really atonal because it has a melody but still) and ends like that. Full of arpeggios that are innovative and hooky, it's hard to forget this one.

The Raven that Refused to Sing (I just noticed how many "The" songs their are) - Like I said in a different thread here, this is the most beautiful song to come around this century. When Wilson hits the refrain ("Sing for me Raven, I miss you so much") I get goosebumps. Taking it even further in the coda is his double-picking of the instrumental melody in a way that would bring envy to The Edge. Wilson actually closes his set this tour with this song; at first it's an odd choice but makes complete sense upon witnessing it. This is how mainstream music should be written these days.

I can't recommend this album enough. Or the artist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Nice write-up and I agree with all those points. I might rank HCE just slightly higher, but it depends on my mood.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Cool thx. What I do love is how HCE works as a continuing whole. Whenever I throw it on, I most likely go start to finish. With Raven I throw on whichever track sounds right to me in the moment. Must be the whole concept album thing with HCE works so well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 pm

There is also a bonus track from the Raven sessions (included on the Drive Home EP)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)   Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next