Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tom Keifer

Go down 
+19
Fat Freddy
John Madden
the sentinel
Required Fields
ZombieHavoc
Getizzyback
corplhicks
SpectreFate
jstate
James B.
Witchfinder
exact33
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
7thSaviour
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
jettafiend
Eyesore
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Tom Keifer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 10:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
So, I just read about this on sleazeroxx and one of the comments was about the "Portrait" deal from the mid 1990's. Anyone know what that's all about?

If I recall, famed A&R guy John Kalodner signed Cinderella (and some other 80's hair bands) to Portrait Records (an off-shoot of Columbia Sony records) in the early/mid 90's when no other label would touch glam bands with a 10-foot can of Aquanet. The label eventually went-under, but Cinderella was still under contract and can't release music under the Cinderella name for some reason.

I don't know how all the legal stuff works in that regard though. It's seems to me if the label doesn't exist anymore, the contract would be null & void and the band would be free to do what they want, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Portrait may not exist, but their parent Sony still does and they still own the rights to release the next Cinderella album, apparently. That Portrait deal was in the late 90s I believe. That's all the same deal where the self titled Ratt album from 99, and Great White's Can't Get There From Here album came from. They were all under the John Kalodner umbrella.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:01 am

What I don't understand is how both Ratt and Great White have since moved-on yet the Cinder-fellas can't seem to escape the legal red-tape. Why not release music under the Sony label? It must be one helluva sh*tty deal on their end if they refuse to record and release new music.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:12 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
What I don't understand is how both Ratt and Great White have since moved-on yet the Cinder-fellas can't seem to escape the legal red-tape. Why not release music under the Sony label? It must be one helluva sh*tty deal on their end if they refuse to record and release new music.

I would assume it's because Ratt and Great White fulfilled the contract by delivering an album, whereas Cinderella delivered nothing. I'd imagine Cinderella was paid an advance and Sony wants to recoup that. Obviously, neither Sony nor Cinderella expect to make any money on a new album, but the contract still exists and Cinderella is bound by it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:30 am

Yea, that's what I'm saying. The deal must be so bad that Cinderella would rather do nothing rather than give into Sony.

It's a shame. All those old Night Songs-era demos floating around on the web. If only they could give some of them a little spit and polish, they could float that out there. Even if it was to fulfill a contract commitment. It wouldn't make much money in this day and age, but I know lots of fans, myself included, would snap that up in a heartbeat.

I'm sure there's much more to it and we're over-simplifying the process. Sucks all the same though.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, that's what I'm saying. The deal must be so bad that Cinderella would rather do nothing rather than give into Sony.

It's a shame. All those old Night Songs-era demos floating around on the web. If only they could give some of them a little spit and polish, they could float that out there. Even if it was to fulfill a contract commitment. It wouldn't make much money in this day and age, but I know lots of fans, myself included, would snap that up in a heartbeat.

I'm sure there's much more to it and we're over-simplifying the process. Sucks all the same though.

Agreed. Night Songs demos would be great!
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 5:32 pm

I met Tom a couple of years ago at a local record signing I could tell.he was interested in my Vektor "Black Future " shirt. As long as you bought his solo cd, Tom would sign anything.Well, while standing in line ,I spotted a "Cinderella " storybook. After I gave Tom Night Songs and the solo cd to sign, I whipped from behind my back the aforementioned storybook, and asked him to sign it.He looked at me quizzically for a second,then I showed him the title. "See? Cinderella! He gave out a little chuckle,and signed my book.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
So, I just read about this on sleazeroxx and one of the comments was about the "Portrait" deal from the mid 1990's. Anyone know what that's all about?

If I recall, famed A&R guy John Kalodner signed Cinderella (and some other 80's hair bands) to Portrait Records (an off-shoot of Columbia Sony records) in the early/mid 90's when no other label would touch glam bands with a 10-foot can of Aquanet. The label eventually went-under, but Cinderella was still under contract and can't release music under the Cinderella name for some reason.

I don't know how all the legal stuff works in that regard though. It's seems to me if the label doesn't exist anymore, the contract would be null & void and the band would be free to do what they want, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Portrait may not exist, but their parent Sony still does and they still own the rights to release the next Cinderella album, apparently. That Portrait deal was in the late 90s I believe.  That's all the same deal where the self titled Ratt album from 99, and Great White's Can't Get There From Here album came from.  They were all under the John Kalodner umbrella.  

Thank you, guys. My next question is "why can't they (Cinderella) release an album as "Cinderella" for Sony or an offshoot thus putting out new music and fulfilling the contract?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:25 am

My guess is that from Cinderella's perspective, the contract deal is so bad they would rather do nothing. Who knows? don\'t know

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Details on Tom Keifer's re-issue of The Way Life Goes: Deluxe Edition...

Tom Keifer - Page 3 Tomkeiferlifegoesdeluxe

Disc 1: CD

01. Solid Ground
02. A Different Light
03. It's Not Enough
04. Cold Day In Hell
05. Thick And Thin
06. Ask Me Yesterday
07. Fool's Paradise
08. The Flower Song
09. Mood Elevator
10. Welcome To My Mind
11. You Showed Me
12. Ain't That A Bitch
13. The Way Life Goes
14. Babylon

Bonus Tracks

15. Nobody's Fool (feat. Lzzy Hale)
16. With A Little Help From My Friends
17. Nobody's Fool (Piano Version)

Disc 2: DVD

Chapter 1. The Way Life's Goin' (Documentary)
Chapter 2. Solid Ground (Music video)
Chapter 3. The Flower Song (Music video)
Chapter 4. It's Not Enough (Music video)
Chapter 5. It's Not Enough (Lyric video)
Chapter 6. Album Promo
Chapter 7. Cathouse Live
Chapter 8. Count Vamp'd Las Vegas
Chapter 9. Farm Rock Chicago

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 pm

3 extra tunes and a dvd ain't enticing me enough to repurchase the same album. Sorry Tom. Tom Keifer - Page 3 352445

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 pm

I never got around to buying Tom's album when it first came out, so this sooper deluxe thingy is OK by me Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I never got around to buying Tom's album when it first came out, so this sooper deluxe thingy is OK by me Laughing very hard

I just revisited the original not too long ago and it still holds up. If you liked Cinderella's Heartbreak Station or Still Climbing, you'll probably dig this. It's the closest you're gonna get to any Cinderella in the foreseeable future.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you. I might get this.

He's got a unique voice, and I'm not expecting the best album ever. Just something fun and nostalgic as a Cinderella fan. That doesn't totally suck. Now I understand some (like my wife) will see that as an oxymoron, but I personally love Cinderella and can't and won't deny it.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Some of these songs were actually written for planned fifth Cinderella album in the mid-1990s ("Welcome to My Mind," for example). Others were written much later, such as "Thick and Thin," which dates to 2002.

I was hoping that there were going to be several new tracks on this deluxe edition. I'll buy it because I'm a huge Cinderella fan, but one cover song and two remakes of "Nobody's Fool" is not very exciting. It's also too bad they are not putting the Japanese bonus track "Gettin' Even" on this.

Apparently the recording for the next album is not slated to begin until Fall 2018, so I don't expect any new music from Tom until at least 2019, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 am

Also, I hope that cover is a joke. If not, who actually thought that was a good idea?!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 6:24 am

Awful cover.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I would assume it's because Ratt and Great White fulfilled the contract by delivering an album, whereas Cinderella delivered nothing.  I'd imagine Cinderella was paid an advance and Sony wants to recoup that.  Obviously, neither Sony nor Cinderella expect to make any money on a new album, but the contract still exists and Cinderella is bound by it.  

It was mentioned that Cinderella were planning on working on a fifth album in the late 1990s, but nothing really came of it. However, as others mentioned, some songs deviated into songs for Tom Keifer's solo album.

As Fat Freddy had in his signature a while back, another member of Cinderella joked in an interview on why they still tour but don't record new music, "We'd love to be lumped in with those other 1980s bands who continue to record new music and no one buys." I thought that quote was pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 11:47 pm

They're not even touring anymore. Jeff LaBar is all messed up with drugs/alcohol and has no desire to quit. He has even said as much. =(
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
They're not even touring anymore. Jeff LaBar is all messed up with drugs/alcohol and has no desire to quit. He has even said as much. =(

Man that's sad. That leads to a short life span. And when you get older your body can't handle all that stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am

Eyesore wrote:

This is from 2016, but it sums everything up pretty well. Labar basically sez "Yup, it's all my fault"
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jeff-labar-says-his-drinking-problem-is-to-blame-for-cinderella-inactivity/

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 am

Required Fields wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I would assume it's because Ratt and Great White fulfilled the contract by delivering an album, whereas Cinderella delivered nothing.  I'd imagine Cinderella was paid an advance and Sony wants to recoup that.  Obviously, neither Sony nor Cinderella expect to make any money on a new album, but the contract still exists and Cinderella is bound by it.  

It was mentioned that Cinderella were planning on working on a fifth album in the late 1990s, but nothing really came of it. However, as others mentioned, some songs deviated into songs for Tom Keifer's solo album.

As Fat Freddy had in his signature a while back, another member of Cinderella joked in an interview on why they still tour but don't record new music, "We'd love to be lumped in with those other 1980s bands who continue to record new music and no one buys." I thought that quote was pretty funny.

Yeah, RF, I remember Freddy having that Jeff Labar quote in his sig line. I know we still buy new releases from old bands (JL has a point as it's not in the giant numbers like back in the day) but I wonder if with the vinyl resurgence of the last half decade or so if they wouldn't sell pretty well being a multi platinum group from the 80's?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keifer   Tom Keifer - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom Keifer
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3