Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Perceptions Of People Online

Go down 
+14
thejokeriv
TheGooch
Smindas
Fat Freddy
kmorg
T-Roy
Troublezone
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
mc666
Thrasher73
Shiney
scottmitchell74
KissinMaiden
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Perceptions Of People Online Empty
PostSubject: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 6:00 pm

I've been using the internet since about 1995, when I joined the Air Force. So I've been a member at many bulletin boards/forum since then. I've always found it funny how on one forum I can be considered one thing, while on another I'm the complete opposite! And all this while I'm not posting any different on each. It's the same old Eyesore. Haha.

Anyone else find that odd? On one forum I visit I'm considered to be funny and witty and sweet, while on another I'm perceived as a complete asshole. When I first joined metalreviews.com's forum I was loved by most, I became a reviewer and I was all of a sudden hated by most. Though I never changed. Right now on lala.com's forum I'm being called a "gay-bashing piece of human trash," and a while back I was labeled a racist, all the while people have consistently called me the forum asshole. Hahaha.

I find it so funny how people online can have someone pegged so wrong. I mean, I've dated black women. My sister and her child, my niece, currently live with me. My sister dates black dudes only, my neice is mixed. I love my neice and my sister, and I like her boyfriend. Yet people were calling me a racist. Now I'm a gay-basher, yet for all these clowns know I could be gay! Haha.

Anyone else find it funny how wrong people can be online, from only words they think they've got you figured out! Haha. It cracks me up! A gay-basher! Hahaha. I don't even know where that came from.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 6:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I've been using the internet since about 1995, when I joined the Air Force. So I've been a member at many bulletin boards/forum since then. I've always found it funny how on one forum I can be considered one thing, while on another I'm the complete opposite! And all this while I'm not posting any different on each. It's the same old Eyesore. Haha.

Anyone else find that odd? On one forum I visit I'm considered to be funny and witty and sweet, while on another I'm perceived as a complete asshole. When I first joined metalreviews.com's forum I was loved by most, I became a reviewer and I was all of a sudden hated by most. Though I never changed. Right now on lala.com's forum I'm being called a "gay-bashing piece of human trash," and a while back I was labeled a racist, all the while people have consistently called me the forum asshole. Hahaha.

I find it so funny how people online can have someone pegged so wrong. I mean, I've dated black women. My sister and her child, my niece, currently live with me. My sister dates black dudes only, my neice is mixed. I love my neice and my sister, and I like her boyfriend. Yet people were calling me a racist. Now I'm a gay-basher, yet for all these clowns know I could be gay! Haha.

Anyone else find it funny how wrong people can be online, from only words they think they've got you figured out! Haha. It cracks me up! A gay-basher! Hahaha. I don't even know where that came from.

Don't worry about too much eyesore, this is the interweb and you will probably never meet these people in real life! Just don't give too much attention to the "trolls" out there, most of them love to talk smurf poo.Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 pm

I guess join the crowd....on rare occassion I've been called a racist and you might be able to detect the absurdity in that....although I could be like Dave Chappelle's character!! On ESPN's and Sportingnews forums there are no Avatar or picture threads so without the preface of Avatars or Picture threads giving away certain things about my private life I've had things I've written labeled as racist.

Of course, maybe I am racist! But actually, I think there's this MASSIVE portion of society ready to label ANYTHING you say as racist, homophobic, fatist, disabled-ist...whatever. Some stuff is just fact...or a stereotype but stereotypes most often don't come out of thin air....anyhow I digress from your problem and I'd say don't worry about it. Especially here you seem like an OK dude who people appreciate and so "forget" those people who have a problem...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 7:08 pm

This is what go me laughing about the whole thing. Here is a thread that was removed at lala. These are all the replies posted:

Quote :
Eyesore: I was just taking a Ben Harper CD on my want list and noticed a video interview on the right of the screen. Nice feature, never noticed it before.

And can I complain about terrible interviewers for a minute? How do these people get jobs like this? I see/read very few interviews where it actually seems like the interviewer either cares or knows about the band. Every question is generic, the replies are retarded ("Awesome, awesome" or something equally as pointless), and there is no logical flow to the questioning. Hardly ever are there follow-up questions; one second they're asking about the tour, next question is about apple pie.

The Ben Harper interview here is a perfect example of a boring, uninteresting interview.

6go6At6 (BOO Jazzy Randy): Well...Ben Harper is pretty boring, dude.

Eyesore: You're insane. Now get the hell out of my thread!

Zesty: 6go6At6 (BOO Jazzy Randy):
Well...Ben Harper is REALLY boring, dude.

fixed.

6go6At6 (BOO Jazzy Randy): Ben Harper comes from the Tiger Woods school of rock.

Zesty: Long and straight?

Eyesore: White?

Alec (209): I hate trolls and flamebait and rude people, so I moved it. Also, the thread was small and was quickly turning into yet another worthless thread started by eyesore.
Notice the last post by a lala employee. Pretty professional, eh? Apparently interviews are real and have feelings, and I was a big meanie toward the interviewer. So he slammed me. Haha. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 7:29 pm

I never frequent the lal forums....as most of the folks there seem inane.

back up, little camper....we seem to like you here okay....

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 7:46 pm

Shiney wrote:
I never frequent the lal forums....as most of the folks there seem inane.

back up, little camper....we seem to like you here okay....
Oh, I'm not insulted by the folks who post on lala's forum. Generally I post stuff just trying to make trades happen. I really don't take offense to the opinions online. In real life I joke all the time, and ocassionally people take offense. But I'm always able to apologize, point out that I was joking, and then it's fine. Online, however, there are only smileys, and generally no going back. Once people have you pegged, that's it, you're whatever they deem you. I should use more smileys. Haha.

It doesn't bug me, I just find it interesting how people react differently online.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Face it Eyesore,you're an A$$Hole!!!!!!lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 am

every one loves me ...what ever forum i go to. i'm just a sweetheart.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 12:34 am

A very interesting subject; I'm pretty sure that there have been books written about it. It took me a really long time to learn the hard way that certain integral aspects of my face to face personality just don't translate via the internet. Using irony and sarcasm when people can see me grinning in person (and probably know me pretty well too) is fine; but I find those techniques just get me in trouble on the net. I've grudgingly learned the necessity of smileys, etc. Rolling Eyes
It's funny, a few months ago I read a very basic article on internet etiquette; and I'm like "Now you tell me". I made all those mistakes, still making some. It's frustrating. Embarassed
I gotta say that this forum is a pretty forgiving one generally; despite the occasional volatile subject. I post a lot on another board, and even though they have banned discussions of race, politics, and religion; there are still a lot of fisticuffs breaking out there. A lot more than here. A lot of nice guys here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 am

It's no secret, when ya first came on this board, I thought you were a
total dick. But you really have changed that opinion. I
have learned that it ALWAYS takes a little time and the effort of
actually trying to see the other person/poster's points and
perspectives to gain mutual respect. Especially with 2 headstrong
people like us.

MC666 on the other hand....(sorry, I have been on ya alot lately. It is just very fun.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 1:51 am

You thought I was a dick? For real? Haha. How come?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 am

SAXON1500 wrote:

MC666 on the other hand....(sorry, I have been on ya alot lately. It is just very fun.)
for a second there, i almost gave a damn. almost. Cool

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 11:35 am

Quote :

Probably more territorial pissings than anything. You came in
right when we switched to niceboard and ya came in like a
cyclone. Most new members ease thier way into a community.
The old board was very comfy with the small group that knew each other
very well and there was zero head-butting. You brought an element
I wasn't used to. Now I actually find you and mc entertaining and
somewhat informative. So, in retrospect, it was probably I that
was being the dick.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 5:12 pm

One of the reasons I "lurked" at this board for so long was to get a sense of the people and how they treated each other. I know that, as both eyesore and scottmitchell have pointed out, they are only words and we don't really know each other personally; but you can still get a good sense of people's attitudes and personalities on line by what they say. I think that, some could argue, it might be possible to get a more accurate perception of people because of the anonymity factor. Obviously, people are much more likely to tell me, you, or the next guy to go feck ourselves if they disagree with something we have posted because we won't show up at their front door and hit them in the throat with a shovel. Likewise, it's easy to label eyesore, or sentinel (me, Dave),a racist, a gay-basher, etc., when they don't know my skin color or sexual orientation or anything about how I would treat others. I am extremely happy to be a part of this metal community and look forward to getting up each day, going to work, lifting weights, and then coming to my little corner of the universe to talk about (ok, write about) the best music ever created!!!!! We have a wide variety of people here, and not just from different continents, but also, different backgrounds and age groups. The younger guys here are awesome and respectful and knowledgeable about a music they are passionate about; and the older guys here, the ones who remember the NWOBHM and the eruption in LA in the early 80's, are extremely friendly and courteous to each other and the new metalheads. The only other forum I had ever posted on was over at the IMDB to talk about movies and get the scoop on some trivia regarding my favorite movies but I no longer go there because 12 year olds ( I mean the incredibly immature ones) start threads that truly are useless and seem to do nothing more than chide, chastise, and berate others for not liking "Borat" as much as they do.
All in all, Eyesore, I know you ain't losin' sleep over it, and as well you should not, cause if they want you out over there at LaLa.com, we are glad to have you spend more of your time here with "real" Metalheads!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 12:43 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :

was being the dick.
well, me personally i came in at cheEZybaord. even donated once. only once did i ever take offense to something someone said here.. & that was Ultmetal. we straightened that out quickly though. i guess that only happened because Ult seems more serious than gents like Saxon & Kmorg. i wasn't sure how he was coming. i have a better understanding now. i have alot of fun joshing with Sax & Kmorg & even Eyesore, but i have nothing but respect for the forum & it's members. so if people take me the wrong way, then they just don't understand me. we can usually work that out with a little chat. it's the lightheartedness & openness of this forum that make it so enjoyable.

KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 1:25 am

the sentinel wrote:
One of the reasons I "lurked" at this board for so long was to get a sense of the people and how they treated each other. I know that, as both eyesore and scottmitchell have pointed out, they are only words and we don't really know each other personally; but you can still get a good sense of people's attitudes and personalities on line by what they say. I think that, some could argue, it might be possible to get a more accurate perception of people because of the anonymity factor. Obviously, people are much more likely to tell me, you, or the next guy to go feck ourselves if they disagree with something we have posted because we won't show up at their front door and hit them in the throat with a shovel. Likewise, it's easy to label eyesore, or sentinel (me, Dave),a racist, a gay-basher, etc., when they don't know my skin color or sexual orientation or anything about how I would treat others. I am extremely happy to be a part of this metal community and look forward to getting up each day, going to work, lifting weights, and then coming to my little corner of the universe to talk about (ok, write about) the best music ever created!!!!! We have a wide variety of people here, and not just from different continents, but also, different backgrounds and age groups. The younger guys here are awesome and respectful and knowledgeable about a music they are passionate about; and the older guys here, the ones who remember the NWOBHM and the eruption in LA in the early 80's, are extremely friendly and courteous to each other and the new metalheads. The only other forum I had ever posted on was over at the IMDB to talk about movies and get the scoop on some trivia regarding my favorite movies but I no longer go there because 12 year olds ( I mean the incredibly immature ones) start threads that truly are useless and seem to do nothing more than chide, chastise, and berate others for not liking "Borat" as much as they do.
All in all, Eyesore, I know you ain't losin' sleep over it, and as well you should not, cause if they want you out over there at LaLa.com, we are glad to have you spend more of your time here with "real" Metalheads!!! 🤘

So true. I love this forum because, I get educated by people who grew up with the scene and know about it instead of other forums where it's made up of people my age or lower who don't know smurf poo about it. I have the most upmost respect for most of the people here especially you older guys...I like learning from you dudes. I've been to some forums where people are really immature like eyesore said and this is a very down to earth and respectable forum even if people argue once in a while they can settle their diifferences through a series of discussions. Good S H I T. :geek:
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 2:38 am

I like this forum because other forum's seem cold and distant and this one feels more friendly and there's never a shortage of topics.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:37 am

KissinMaiden wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
One of the reasons I
"lurked" at this board for so long was to get a sense of the people and
how they treated each other. I know that, as both eyesore and
scottmitchell have pointed out, they are only words and we don't really
know each other personally; but you can still get a good sense of
people's attitudes and personalities on line by what they say. I think
that, some could argue, it might be possible to get a more accurate
perception of people because of the anonymity factor. Obviously, people
are much more likely to tell me, you, or the next guy to go feck
ourselves if they disagree with something we have posted because we
won't show up at their front door and hit them in the throat with a
shovel. Likewise, it's easy to label eyesore, or sentinel (me, Dave),a
racist, a gay-basher, etc., when they don't know my skin color or
sexual orientation or anything about how I would treat others. I am
extremely happy to be a part of this metal community and look forward
to getting up each day, going to work, lifting weights, and then coming
to my little corner of the universe to talk about (ok, write about) the
best music ever created!!!!! We have a wide variety of people here, and
not just from different continents, but also, different backgrounds and
age groups. The younger guys here are awesome and respectful and
knowledgeable about a music they are passionate about; and the older
guys here, the ones who remember the NWOBHM and the eruption in LA in
the early 80's, are extremely friendly and courteous to each other and
the new metalheads. The only other forum I had ever posted on was over
at the IMDB to talk about movies and get the scoop on some trivia
regarding my favorite movies but I no longer go there because 12 year
olds ( I mean the incredibly immature ones) start threads that truly
are useless and seem to do nothing more than chide, chastise, and
berate others for not liking "Borat" as much as they do.
All in
all, Eyesore, I know you ain't losin' sleep over it, and as well you
should not, cause if they want you out over there at LaLa.com, we are
glad to have you spend more of your time here with "real" Metalheads!!!
🤘

So
true. I love this forum because, I get educated by people who grew up
with the scene and know about it instead of other forums where it's
made up of people my age or lower who don't know smurf poo about it. I
have the most upmost respect for most of the people here especially you
older guys...I like learning from you dudes. I've been to some forums
where people are really immature like eyesore said and this is a very
down to earth and respectable forum even if people argue once in a
while they can settle their diifferences through a series of
discussions. Good S H I T. :geek:
OH, SO NOW WE'RE OLD?! angry
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 am

I'm so glad this board is still as loved by you, the users, as we, the adms/mods. This is why we created this board.

Maybe not everyone knows this, but it all started as a discussion forum for the band, Ultimatum. But as the music section of that board grew, and the ezboard platform is soon chaning to crap, we decided to create this one. And so we became the Heart Of Metal board.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 am

This board rules!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 7:54 pm

kmorg wrote:
I'm so glad this board is still as loved by you, the users, as we, the adms/mods. This is why we created this board.

Maybe not everyone knows this, but it all started as a discussion forum for the band, Ultimatum. But as the music section of that board grew, and the ezboard platform is soon chaning to crap, we decided to create this one. And so we became the Heart Of Metal board.

Cool. I never knew that!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
was being the dick.
Somewhat informative? angry

Haha. Kidding! I don't know why I just jumped in here. The water looked warm, I guess. I usually ease my way into a new forum, if I join one, because my posting style often hits people the wrong way, mostly all my sarcastic joking. Just do this from now on, every time you read something I post, picture Chandler from Friends saying it, or Jerry Seinfeld. Everyone says I'm a cross between Chandler and Seinfeld. Not sure if that's good or bad. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 pm

A junkie Jew?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Chandler Seinfeld? Sure, why not. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:58 pm

My perception is that everybody out there wants me and thinks I'm hot. afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perceptions Of People Online   Perceptions Of People Online Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Perceptions Of People Online
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next