Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great White book on the Station Fire

Go down 
+11
Required Fields
speed101
jstate
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Lurideath
manny
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
BillRoxx
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 am

All I know, is that if King Diamond, Motorhead, or Axl Rose was performing in that club, at that time, and it burned downed and killed fans - would you still feel the same way about THEIR music? Happened to be Great White. Personally, I think it impacted Great White and the family of the fans that were there that night, way more than you.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
All I know, is that if King Diamond, Motorhead, or Axl Rose was performing in that club, at that time, and it burned downed and killed fans - would you still feel the same way about THEIR music? Happened to be Great White. Personally, I think it impacted Great White and the family of the fans that were there that night, way more than you.

Oh yeah, no doubt, but still, to this day I don't listen to GW's stuff anywhere near as much as I used to. There's too much "bummer" attached to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 am

I can't listen to Pantera without hearing gunhots either. But you and I Keith, ain't that shallow.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I can't listen to Pantera without hearing gunhots either. But you and I Keith, ain't that shallow.

Yeah, probably a little shallow. But man, when I turned on the news the morning after that Rhode Island thing and saw the footage of that damn place goin' up in smoke, all I could think of was "There but for the grace of God go I."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am

I was never huge Great White fan in the first place, but the fire did taint my listening pleasure for these guys.

Years and years ago, at an AC/DC show, four fans died, the band were devasted, thou they were not at fault, they accepted that maybe they should have looked over things better with management (the safety of festival seating etc) and as Angus Young said on Behind the Music regarding their tragic event at their show " At the end of the day, its our name on the ticket"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Read your book review, and it changed my mind, at first I had no interest in reading this book, ti I read your hub.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

manny wrote:
Read your book review, and it changed my mind, at first I had no interest in reading this book, ti I read your hub.

Cool, Manfred. Glad you dug. :cheese:

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

I wasn't first introduced to Great White until a few years after the tragedy, so fortunately I can still enjoy they're music.

Really sad story though, did anyone see the episode of Larry King Live where the band talked about the tragedy?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 am

So I'm about 2/3 through the book and I can safely recommend it. I was a little worried that this might be exploitive or relish too much in the horrible details (as many books of this kind do) but the writer does an excellent job of describing the horror but in a very tactful way. I'm getting into the court stuff now. And as FF mentioned it goes into a ton of legal detail. I'd even go so far to say that seems to be the emphasis of the book and the motivation of the writer.

Thus far this has what stuck me most....

-as negligent and careless as the events leading to the fire were, equally bad were the A-holery from the various people afterwards in CYA mode. One thing to act a certain way not knowing the consequences, a whole other deal to do so with one hundred dead due to those actions (or lack of action). From Russell claiming on Larry King that he was dragged out unconscious when the tape showed otherwise. To the cameraman claiming he stopped shooting the scene to help rescue people. He did stop shooting long enough to call the TV station to claim "he was getting everything" while people were still inside the burning building struggling to get out. Then of course there is everything with the Derderians. No idea how some of these people live with themselves.

-Saddest thing of all is that this was so preventable if only someone had taken the action they should have. A lot of blame to go around in that regard.

-Seems like the Rhode Island authorities did a good job of recognizing the emotional trauma of not only the victims and families but also the responders. I can't even begin think what that must be like. I hope they are all still getting that PTSD support.

-Anyone who thinks tattoos have no value needs to read the book. I'm needle phobic with no ink on me but even I'm considering getting something on my foot for my family's sake.

It's a tough read no doubt but I feel it's a well done book and worth checking out. Oh, and it doesn't make me never want to listen to Great White again.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 am

Quote :
-Saddest thing of all is that this was so preventable if only someone had taken the action they should have. A lot of blame to go around in that regard.

Yeah, I was amazed at the sheer number of people who dropped the ball or were negligent, not just the club owners and the band but the government of West Warwick as well. It seemed like everybody knew the place was a dump and an accident waiting to happen, but nobody gave enough of a sh*t to do anything about it.

It boggles my mind that the place didn't even have fire sprinklers (due to its being built prior to sprinklers becoming required by law, it was "grandfathered") ... I'm surprised the townspeople didn't track down the fire marshal and string him up after the blaze.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2023 9:49 am

Mega-Ancient Necro Thread Bump Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 83628

A documentary on the Station Fire, based on the "Killer Show" book, was released last year on the REELZ cable channel. "The Guest List" can now be streamed on Tubi, I watched it a couple of nights ago. Pretty harrowing stuff, obviously.

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 am

Just recently - for a year - I began listening to my Great White CDs.
I thought about going to the show - but it was a work night - Tuesday ?
I didn’t want to drive home buzzing at 2am - etc
But I was shocked. Even now. Cant even read the book. No way.
Nobody really talks about it either. It was that horrible.
The worst concert of fatalities ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great White book on the Station Fire   Great White book on the Station Fire - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great White book on the Station Fire
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2