Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Go down 
+27
Temple of Blood
MoonChild
jstate
snooloui
adrian
DarthMetalis
allthingsmetal
mr.electric39
Lazlo Toth
arachnoplasma
MEGATRON
Mglaffas81
Wurthless
exact33
sheets
Witchfinder
Vexer6
Glenn Rogers
Lari
thejokeriv
Psychotron
Dark Horseman
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 pm

It's a good album but not great.....

Not in their top five.... but not in their bottom five either.....

Sometimes I think Steve wants Maiden to be Dream Theater.... Maiden was at it's best when the tunes were 4-6 minutes long with a couple of Epics.... Now it's like ..... 'Songs with a quick hook??? Oh yeah better write one or two... Hey Adrian!!"

Brave New World is still my favorite amongst the current lineup.....

BUT.... my son the singer LOVES this latest stuff.....

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 12:02 am

mr.electric39 wrote:

Sometimes I think Steve wants Maiden to be Dream Theater....

Maiden is infinitely superior to Dream Theater.

I like their writing style now, they've evolved from riff-based rockers to more varied compositions, I think it suits them well. At their age they don't need to be trying to come up with "The Trooper Part 2", I think they've matured very gracefully and regardless they still don't sound like anyone else, even though they've changed it's still "Maiden" all the way.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 am

A Matter of Life and Death is my favourite from the current lineup, and also my favourite Maiden album ever.

I like all four albums, but in order of preference:

1. A Matter of Life and Death
2. Brave New World
3. Dance of Death
4. The Final Frontier
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am

At first listen I was a little disappointed (although I still liked it) because it stayed in line with what they have recently been doing (It was expected though) and didn't go back to what I love the most. However, for what it is, I really think it is a really great album. The last few times I have spun this disc I have wanted to play it again (skipping the first song). It is a great cd for a car drive (or painting) where you can let it just play through (kind of like Opeth for me too).
Back to top Go down
DarthMetalis
Metal novice
Metal novice
DarthMetalis

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 pm

This album has some great songs and some decent songs, I like it
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I still need to get it sometime
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 am

S.D. wrote:
I think it's a fine album, I don't find it to be boring or "wankery". It sounds like a mature Iron Maiden playing exactly the type of music they want to play...and I would much rather a band be themselves and continue to evolve their sound than try to do something "old school" out of the blue just to please older fans who think the 80s never ended.

I've enjoyed all the albums Maiden has done since Bruce came back, Final Frontier being one of the best.

Isn't that more a case of having heard their classics a lot more over the years to the point where playing them no longer does anything for you? I know I sometimes feel that way. Whilst they're great albums with some great songs, i've listened to them so many times that I'd now rather listen to something else.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:47 am

I always have this in my hands when I find a copy and have always put it back in favor of something more urgent. Don't know why either since I've liked the samples. It's the only Maiden album I never bought day one. Someday I'll actually pull the trigger and buy the thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 am

snooloui wrote:

Isn't that more a case of having heard their classics a lot more over the years to the point where playing them no longer does anything for you? I know I sometimes feel that way. Whilst they're great albums with some great songs, i've listened to them so many times that I'd now rather listen to something else.

I don't know, Maiden is one of those bands like Rush or Yes that I've always liked regardless of what style of music I was concentrating on at the time, they have been a constant in my life since 1982. (Rush since 1980, Yes since 1981 or thereabouts)

I can't say the same thing about many other bands from my teenage years as I've "moved on" from alot of that stuff, but for whatever reason Iron Maiden still holds the fascination for me.

I see Iron Maiden's recent albums as another step in their evolution, but I don't look at them as being better or worse than what came before, I enjoy hearing the natural progression of a band over many years.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Not too much into this album, so I am not the one to comment. Somehow I never got into this one.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Sometimes I think Steve wants Maiden to be Dream Theater.

You're right. He was especially into them in the 90s.

That's why he hired Kevin Shirley and auditioned LaBrie when Dickinson quit.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Sometimes I think Steve wants Maiden to be Dream Theater.

You're right. He was especially into them in the 90s.

That's why he hired Kevin Shirley and auditioned LaBrie when Dickinson quit.

LaBrie never auditioned for Maiden - that is only rumor. He didn't meet the basic requirement of the job - he isn't English!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I guess their nationalism served them well then. I mean, Blaze is so superior to, say, Harry Conklin.

JP at least had the sense to cast a worldwide net.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I mean, Blaze is so superior to, say, Harry Conklin.
haha, classic

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 10:30 pm

At least Blaze was and is and always has been superior to LaBrie.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Lari wrote:
At least Blaze was and is and always has been superior to LaBrie.

I like Blaze and "X Factor" quite a bit, but James is certainly more consistently on pitch and professional than Blaze.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 1:36 am

I can't stand LaBrie or Blaze.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:27 am

S.D. wrote:
I can't stand LaBrie or Blaze.

amen
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:39 am

its one of those albums i like to listen to from time to time I do like the album cover though
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Outside of Maiden, I was never a huge NWOBHM anyway, so the direction that they have gone has been great to my ears. I think TFF is a very good album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier   Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2