Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guitar buying advice - what should I get?

Go down 
+11
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
martinsane
Orion Crystal Ice
Thrasher73
Troublezone
jettafiend
adrian
bassman
scottmitchell74
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Empty
PostSubject: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am

I think a made a big mistake when I sold my guitar and amp a couple years back. I should have kept it. I took a big bath because of the recession, and now that I want to take it up again the guitar dealer I dealt with is out of business.

I'd like everyone's opinion on a good beginner-ish guitar. I went one that won't break the bank, is good for heavy metal, and is good quality. I'm not going to box myself in price-wise, but about $300 +/- for the guitar itself seems like my limit.

I'm scared to death about pawn shops and ordering on-line as well, but would be interested in hearing people's experiences with either. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 12:50 pm

$300 should get you a decent Ibanez or Dean new, the same money could get you a lot more guitar at a pawn shop.......you just have to have somone who knows guitars check it out before you pull the trigger on it.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:06 pm

As far as ordering online: I got my Ritchie Blackmore Strat for about 650 on ebay with free shipping. Brand new and about half the price you'd pay normally! So yeah, I would gladly recommend buying online
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:01 pm

I personally recommend the pawn shops, guitarcenter.com, and ebay. Check out Ibanez and Peavey. Peavey is American made products and built to last. They will stand up to the abuse and are cheaper than say a Jackson or a Schecter by quite a bit. They are better quality IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Nothing wrong with going for Epiphone or one of the cheaper Paul Reed Smith models either.

Don't worry about ordering online, you'll get a better deal and as long as you order from a reputable retailer (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, etc) it will be professionally packaged and insured against any damage from shipping.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:10 pm

I personally have a Jackson, but I think you would do well with a entry level Ibanez guitar. Almost every guitar shop has them on special and they sound great for the money.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 am

I would have to echo Shawns advice and say musicians friend is a reputable online choice.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 am

You will probably end up with one of the Ibanez RGs, but they do have some very good ones for that budget.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:38 am

I picked up my Fender acoustic at a pawn shop about 10 years ago and the deal I got was great and I would not hesitate to do it again, especially from one of the "chain" pawn shop/stores. Here in the greater Seattle area we have Cash America and they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy, so you could play and return a good many guitar and amps in that time and at least in those stores the pricing is about half of current retail, USUALLY.

As for what to get, go and play some and see what "feels" best for you. I know I like my BC Rich and I LOVE my Hamer.

And there are so many really nice practice size amps out there that have good distortion and clean chanels that you can get a small amp, like my Fender with an 8" speaker, for about $100 brand new! ANd it is PLENTY loud enough.

Happy hunting and keep us posted on your findings...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am

Shame you dont live closer I have an Ibanez guitar and small amp to get rid of. $120

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Shame you dont live closer I have an Ibanez guitar and small amp to get rid of. $120

The postman doesn't ship???? LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

One of those weirdos from the TV show "Shipping Wars" would be glad to do it for him...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

For reasons I can't explain, despite not knowing how to play a guitar, I would like to start a guitar collection if I had the money. But I don't so I won't Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 am

fine, then don't!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
fine, then don't!

I'm pretty sure that's what I said Rolling Eyes .

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 am

I just went through this process with my son. I got lots of genuinely helpful advice from the guys here.

At first I thought Ibanez all the the way. But then, I found Schecter. I read their history and that kind of sold me, as well as all the positive reviews on GuitarCenter.com. Now, we got a smokin' deal on a used lefty on ebay and the outcome was great. But had they had a lefty we wanted, I would have gone through Guitar Center. We drove to the one in Indy to get the VOX40 amp. It's just hard to find lefty's period.

I personally am comfortable and think you can get a great deal buying used. The pawn shops in my area are LOADED with electrics AND amps..which means you can try any of them before buying.

That said, we obviously bought ours sight unseen. There's just too many incredible guitars that were in upwards of $1000 new, out there for $300-$500 bucks.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

hahaha of course I can ship it but about time I do that he could have bought a brand new one for a few more bucks ( i would think) but if he wants I'll be more than happy to send it.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 3:59 pm

BTW Heres my auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120978069061#ht_500wt_1203

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 pm

I like this one here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHECTER-C-1-C1-PLUS-DIAMOND-SERIES-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-AEJ-/120965449226?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2a1a460a

This one here is a great deal as it comes with a hardcase.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-S1-Elite-Electric-Guitar-/330785403206?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0458b146#ht_500wt_924

For Schecter, I look for anything labeled "Elite," or "Diamond Series" or "Special." These all have better pickups, either Duncan or EMG. I'm working on getting one for myself so me Luke can jam!!!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

This auction here....if it stays low would be a steal-of-a-deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NR-Very-Nice-Schecter-Diamond-Series-Omen-6-a-nice-soft-case-/180959035198?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a21ffbf3e#ht_3904wt_1022
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm

I bought an american charvel used for $200. I bought a peavey tracer for $75 off ebay and it turned out awesome.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Quote :
u will probably end up with one of the Ibanez RGs

Explain this somewhat cryptic comment. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 4:01 pm

bassman wrote:
$300 should get you a decent Ibanez or Dean new, the same money could get you a lot more guitar at a pawn shop.......you just have to have somone who knows guitars check it out before you pull the trigger on it.
This right here is truth! You can get SOOO much guitar used out there. That's the one thing in a pawnshop that's usually priced super cheap. Go in with cash in hand though. My buddy walked into one a couple months ago, asked to see and play a guitar for $100. He left and came back the next day with money and they doubled the price! Common practice. Play then pay! lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

martinsane wrote:

Still researching. I did the pawn shop tour of Abilene, TX. Gonna let that ruminate for a while. I'm researching prices, styles, ect... so I sound like I know what I'm talking about when it's time to buy. Thanks everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
martinsane wrote:

so I sound like I know what I'm talking about
Remind me to do this BEFORE I go asking my wife next time will ya??!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guitar buying advice - what should I get?   Guitar buying advice - what should I get? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guitar buying advice - what should I get?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next