Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages

Go down 
+2
EmoElmo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Empty
PostSubject: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 am

Now there are plenty of reasons to hate Apple now.... No , these patent trolls clearly don't want competition

In what will no doubt be a precedent for the tech industry, a jury has found Samsung infringed on Apple’s patents in the Apple and Samsung trial. A nine person Jury is still reading the verdict. So far, Samsung has been found in violation of 4 patents for most of the devices in question. Samsung has also been found guilty of willful infringement for most patents in question for most of the company’s devices, except for the Galaxy Tab. All of Apple’s patents were found valid as well, another big blow to Samsung. As far as damages, the jury has awarded Apple $1.051 billion for Samsung’s infringements. Samsung’s claims against Apple are all turning out to be found in Apple’s favor…

source : Yahoo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:48 am

Why are we hating Apple if Samsung actually stole patented technology? A jury found them guilty, that pretty much places the blame squarely in Samsung's lap. Yes?

If you want to compete with Apple, make a superior product using your own technology. ...and good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 am

Exactly. Theft is theft. I see no fault here on Apple's part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Plus, Apple offered to license some of their technology to Samsung several years ago but Samsung declined the offer. The license would have cost them a helluva lot less than this lawsuit.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
Plus, Apple offered to license some of their technology to Samsung several years ago but Samsung declined the offer. The license would have cost them a helluva lot less than this lawsuit.

I think Apple wants to license it for $30 per phone. I am not an Apple fan but I dont think they were wrong in this instance. I think Samsung intentionally and willfully copied Apple. I do think Apple really out of line though with claiming having a green icon on your screen with a phone receiver on violates their patent.

I think in the end the real loser is the consumer. apple can pretty much charge what it desires right now and there is little competition given Samsung's missteps.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 pm

You guys don't realize that with this victory, smartphone prices will skyrocket in the coming years (hence the start of a monopoly) ... not good for us consumers

I don't see any reason why anybody would root for Apple, not unless they're under their payroll of course
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 7:11 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
You guys don't realize that with this victory, smartphone prices will skyrocket in the coming years (hence the start of a monopoly) ... not good for us consumers

I don't see any reason why anybody would root for Apple, not unless they're under their payroll of course

I think Apple is the Microsoft of this last 10 years but someone else will come along and knock them down. I don't personally like the proprietary nature of their products so I don't buy them but a lot of people find them useful. I think other competitors will come in to the market and do something unique. I don't think you can really demonize them in this case - Samsung was very deliberate in their attempt to copy Apple. Now if Apple starts contending that anything android is a patent violation then I think they will have overstepped themselves.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:06 pm

exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

I think Apple is the Microsoft of this last 10 years but someone else will come along and knock them down. I don't personally like the proprietary nature of their products so I don't buy them but a lot of people find them useful. I think other competitors will come in to the market and do something unique. I don't think you can really demonize them in this case - Samsung was very deliberate in their attempt to copy Apple. Now if Apple starts contending that anything android is a patent violation then I think they will have overstepped themselves.

The victory was expected since APPLE inc. is an American company and American judges giving the verdict? meh, it should've been done in a neutral court...Im glad they lost the patent war in Britain ans S. Korea...Patent lawsuits are nothing but to thwart competition.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

The victory was expected since APPLE inc. is an American company and American judges giving the verdict? meh, it should've been done in a neutral court...Im glad they lost the patent war in Britain ans S. Korea...Patent lawsuits are nothing but to thwart competition.

so it just happened to be a coincidence that Samsung execs sent emails saying to copy the technology because they feared how apple would destroy their company and poof! all of a sudden samsung engineers come up with something exactly like Apple tech?

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Microsoft's new "Windows Phone" is different enough in design that they should be fine. However, I do anticipate a lawsuit against Google (Steve Jobs talked about it prior to his death) because of how many aspects of the Android OS were copied from Apple's OS.

I'm not under Apple's payroll, but I see no reason why they shouldn't defend themselves against people infringing on their designs. Apple has a track record of coming up with revolutionary products and marketing them extremely well. It's not their fault the other manufacturers can't come up with their own designs to compete.

By the way, Apple was going to charge Samsung $5 per phone to license the technology, not $30.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
Microsoft's new "Windows Phone" is different enough in design that they should be fine. However, I do anticipate a lawsuit against Google (Steve Jobs talked about it prior to his death) because of how many aspects of the Android OS were copied from Apple's OS.

I'm not under Apple's payroll, but I see no reason why they shouldn't defend themselves against people infringing on their designs. Apple has a track record of coming up with revolutionary products and marketing them extremely well. It's not their fault the other manufacturers can't come up with their own designs to compete.

By the way, Apple was going to charge Samsung $5 per phone to license the technology, not $30.

sorry - its $30 per phone per the information that came out in the trial.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/08/10/six.witnesses.examined.new.documents.revealed.in.trial/

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:00 pm

It would be naive to think the the judges were fair...just sayin'
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:13 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
It would be naive to think the the judges were fair...just sayin'

this was a jury trial.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

Uh, explain exactly how an American company should not defend it's American patent in an American court against a company doing business against it in America. I think you don't understand patent law or jurisdiction or venue.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

I bought an apple and it had a worm in it. The extra protien was a bonus. Maybe fuji will sue granny smith ?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 8:57 am

Completely agree with S.D. here.

Although I'm still getting a Galaxy III. lol! Sorry Apple.. love your phone but I can't afford the 64gb internal, and I need my gb... you shoulda given us upgradable memory!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Completely agree with S.D. here.

Although I'm still getting a Galaxy III. lol! Sorry Apple.. love your phone but I can't afford the 64gb internal, and I need my gb... you shoulda given us upgradable memory!

I am interested in the Toshiba Thrive myself. I love the expandability of it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages   Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Samsung loses in Apple trial, ordered to pay $1 billion in damages
Page 1 of 1